The Rodent's DVD Collection.

Tools    

Added some classics today...

Carrie (1976)
Psycho (1960)
Fargo
Duel (Spielberg)

And I decided to get Slither (2006) as well for some trashy comedy gore. Guilty favourite

I picked the complete series up not too long ago as well for I think around $5 at a pawn shop. I want to get into the series, but I wasn't a fan of the first two when I revisited them recently. I've watched 3 and 4, but it's been forever.

I've never been a fan tbh. I've said a lot of bad stuff about the series in the past, and about Rowling as well.
The recent shenanigans on the quizzes though got me wondering

I never thought the day would come... damn you @Deathly

I consider this a life accomplishment. A proud, personal feat. I'd also wager you can thank me later.

I've watched the first one now... I did find myself drifting a little about half way through and almost started playing solitaire on the laptop and stopped myself... so I'm sort of glad I kept with the movie.
Going for the second one tomorrow. Gotta watch them seeing as I bought them

Legend in my own mind
I've watched the first one now... I did find myself drifting a little about half way through and almost started playing solitaire on the laptop and stopped myself... so I'm sort of glad I kept with the movie.
Going for the second one tomorrow. Gotta watch them seeing as I bought them
Like the books, they get better as they go on

I picked the complete series up not too long ago as well for I think around $5 at a pawn shop. I want to get into the series, but I wasn't a fan of the first two when I revisited them recently. I've watched 3 and 4, but it's been forever.
$5?! I want to know where you live, so I can travel there, grab the series, travel back, and still save money. No but sincerely, if you want to get into the series, read the books. They are in fact so laughably good that I, a man who's read an unhealthy amount of (quality) books in the past 20 years, consider Harry Potter to be the best series I've read yet. And among the books are a dozen Stephen King novels, Tolkien's LOTR and Lewis' Narnia.

I've never been a fan tbh. I've said a lot of bad stuff about the series in the past, and about Rowling as well.
The recent shenanigans on the quizzes though got me wondering
This is all forgiven if you try.

Like the books, they get better as they go on
This cannot be emphasized enough.

They are in fact so laughably good that I, a man who's read an unhealthy amount of (quality) books in the past 20 years, consider Harry Potter to be the best series I've read yet. And among the books are a dozen Stephen King novels, Tolkien's LOTR and Lewis' Narnia.
lol I got into them when my now ex wanted me to proof read them to make sure they were okay for the kids because I speed read... and found myself more anxious for the next one to come out than they were.

the movies are really good, but they play like barebones cliff notes compared to the books.

Plus the book kept getting longer while the movies (save the last) stayed the same in length (approximately) so they really started gutting the later ones for content.

lol I got into them when my now ex wanted me to proof read them to make sure they were okay for the kids because I speed read... and found myself more anxious for the next one to come out than they were.
I know, right? Harry Potter is one of those things that you either love because you've read and watched it or 'hate' because it's popular beyond what you're comfortable with, and you never gave it a proper shot.

I remember I got into the series after every single person around me were almost forcibly trying to get me to read the books and watch the films. I detested the name Harry Potter due to its gigantic mainstream status. Then one memorable day in 2005, I was travelling to my parents' native land, a 12-hour train journey, and I saw Philosopher's Stone at a book store near the station and thought: "Do I really do this?" One of the greatest decisions I've made in my life.

4 is the best in my opinion

Ok... update on my last purchase... been working my way through them... about to watch Half-Blood Prince now.
Best one so far is Azkaban.

I see the appeal and there's more to them than I realised... but there's still a lot, and I mean a lot of stuff in Harry Potter I don't like.
As in, there's more about them that I dislike than I like.

What's struck me strong, is that they're pretty much all the same.
Hagrid has a secret which is revealed to be harmless 12 minutes after, a new teacher/adult appears who isn't all they seem but always ends up a protagonist... big reveal at the end which is always about how Harry and Voldemort are connected.
Plus, all the little ideas and trinkets/MacGuffin's throughout seem to be Rowling thinking to herself "what can I put in now?"... MacGuffin is used, and never seen again.

Still, worth a go.

Alright alright, fair enough. I can see how you feel certain plot devices are quite similarly used in several of the films, but I do disagree strongly that they're all the same. One of the greatest strengths of the series, to me, is that they're an extremely diverse collection of films, most notably in terms of filmmaking, tone and atmosphere.

- The first and second are very similar
- The third is very different from all the others
- The fourth is very different from all the others
- The fifth is very different from all the others
- The sixth is very different from all the others
- The seventh and eighth are very similar

You've got the best ones left in my opinion. Once you're done, the books are ready for you.

I'm now just about to start Deathly Hallows Part 1.

One thing I can't get out of my head, is the blasé attitude of the authorities.
Like, Harry is under attack all the time, and even when Cedric was killed, the Ministry just shrugged it off.
Ok I get that they were in denial... but... after Dumbledore is killed and Voldemort has recruited a number of wizards, including Malfoy who actually worked for the Ministry, and as far as everyone knows has even recruited Snape as well and the Ministry is nowhere to be seen or heard.
I don't get why there's so little action taken when they were wholly ready to expel Harry for one minor thing and discredit his eye witness account of Voldemort when Cedric was killed.

Surely a number of deaths, plus the numerous attacks on Harry over the past 6 movies, should at least garner some sort of attention from the main authority.

It's like, Rowling has written "These are the students, these are the teachers, these here are the bad guys... I'll put in an authoritative body in the form of the Ministry, but I don't know how to use them"

Maybe Deathly Hallows will explain this... will watch and find out. No spoilers please.

Done them...

Some fun stuff, some cool stuff, especially the flashbacks in Hallows Part 2, and the unfolding of the story across the entire 16+ hours of running time is nice to see when compared to some of the drivel that's normally churned out in books and movies.
I stand by my word, I'm not a fan, though I can see the attraction.

Kinda glad I got them in the collection though if I'm honest, but I may end up not watching them again for a few years... maybe even giving the box set to my kids.

Just wanna say thanks as well to @Deathly for thequizzes he wrote that I was tasked with adding to MoFo.
It was his quizzes that got me curious to actually go out and buy then watch the series.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'm now just about to start Deathly Hallows Part 1.

One thing I can't get out of my head, is the blasé attitude of the authorities.
Like, Harry is under attack all the time, and even when Cedric was killed, the Ministry just shrugged it off.
Ok I get that they were in denial... but... after Dumbledore is killed and Voldemort has recruited a number of wizards, including Malfoy who actually worked for the Ministry, and as far as everyone knows has even recruited Snape as well and the Ministry is nowhere to be seen or heard.
I don't get why there's so little action taken when they were wholly ready to expel Harry for one minor thing and discredit his eye witness account of Voldemort when Cedric was killed.

Surely a number of deaths, plus the numerous attacks on Harry over the past 6 movies, should at least garner some sort of attention from the main authority.

It's like, Rowling has written "These are the students, these are the teachers, these here are the bad guys... I'll put in an authoritative body in the form of the Ministry, but I don't know how to use them"

Maybe Deathly Hallows will explain this... will watch and find out. No spoilers please.
Dunno if this is what you mean but it annoyed me that every movie started with a happy back to school feeling despite the previous film ending on a dark note, there was never that continuity of a dark mood taken into the next film.

Yeah, I spotted that too.

Like, death and misery at the end of the movie... the next film is they've forgotten about it all and are attending a party and getting married... then at 20 minutes in, they go back to what happened in the last film.

I get the impression that Rowling was trying to relive some sort of dreamlike past that she never lived in real life.

As in, she never had a fairy tale party or wedding... she never had X, Y and Z growing up... so she laced the books with them.

Yeah, I spotted that too.

Like, death and misery at the end of the movie... the next film is they've forgotten about it all and are attending a party and getting married... then at 20 minutes in, they go back to what happened in the last film.
That's what killed me about the second film, it was more or less the exact same movie with the exact same structure. I've heard they kill the reputation a bit with the third one, but it's just so hard to get into when you want to invest in something, but you disliked the first two, and the movies are all 2 plus hours long.