Is Joe Rogan the Johnny Carson of The Internet?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Both guys were stand-up comedians (I don't think either was/is good). Both guys had a show on NBC (Fear Factor/Who Do You Trust), but their popularity is from interviewing others. Back in the day, if Johnny Carson liked you, and invited you back on the couch after you did your set, you were on your way to greater opportunities, and perhaps a TV sitcom. If you go on Joe Rogan, you're going to get noticed, get a sales bump, and like a spark, you can YouTube everything about a guest you like.

People love Joe Rogan’s, he knows how to direct questions so the interviewed say something interesting, the podcast brings the best in people, because Joe is usually agreeable and emphatic.

The show also updates people and brings subjects they never heard or thought about, or validates their ideas, or tells them how to think or the various ways to think about it.

People seek transformative wisdom, and Joe Rogan has that by the ton. How to eat, how to exercise, how to be in a relationship, how to be successful, how this and that, he brings gurus, motivational speakers, philosophers, every single one on the show.

He also has people who “tell it like it is”. Uncle Joey, overall, that’s a show for every kind of person, because he brings up there everyone. There’s many reasons for that to be successful, and Joe is the primary reason, the intervier is the most important aspect of the thing.

This to say, I don’t watch the podcast, it takes too long, and I’d prefer to watch a tree for three hours, even when I like the guy, like Louie, I love the guy, but a three hour podcast? Forget it, and I can’t just listen to it, I’m a visual kind of guy, I can’t read or listen, I read people’s reactions, that’s always been my thing, words or sound alone doesn’t do the trick.

Originally Posted by OT
Is Joe Rogan the Johnny Carson of The Internet?
No.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Guy offered his platform to prominent anti vaxxers at a time when thousands of unvaccinated were dying in the US every day.

Absolute scum, blood on his hands.

Guy offered his platform to prominent anti vaxxers at a time when thousands of unvaccinated were dying in the US every day.

Absolute scum, blood on his hands.
Did he offer his platform to people who also believe in vaccination? I don't want to start this whole discussion again, even considering that the pandemic is almost over, forgotten, something that was so serious to our species and even more serious to our civilization. Your approach is the same approach of the cancel culture, is censorship, and they hide it under the pretext it's for the common good, China can say they record civilians 24/7 for the common good.

Many communities discredited vaccination, even in Europe. People forgot this guy promotes and talks about a sport where people get serious injured, that there's serious brutality. People forgot this man loves hunting, promotes hunting, and I have nothing against hunting, some people depend on it, I eat meat every day, I have nothing against UFC, I, myself, I'm excited to see the next Chimaev vs Diaz fight, I love both fighters, although, you won't see any violence in me.

He has a platform, he has likes and dislikes, like every human being, he can invite whoever he wants to, and he chooses to invite various personalities, from various fields. He doesn't hide his convictions, and he doesn't play the PC card. I know people are more comfortable when everyone is swimming on the same boat, it makes them feel like they are correct, but we have to see every side of the spectrum. I was vaccinated, I was on the first row to get my vaccine, I advised the people I care about to be as well, some went, others did not, we're still friends, I don't see them any different, I even took an extra care around them.

Sometimes cancel culture is a good thing and people who are censored deserve it. Not sure I follow the China analogy.

The only community that mattered in regards to the vaccine is the scientific community, and AFAIK there isn't a peer reviewed scientific paper anywhere that states the covid vaccine as anything other than overwhelmingly positive.

Actually I don't believe you should be able to have a platform of millions and bring on discredited anti vaxxers at such a critical time during a pandemic. Alex Jones is finding out you can't just say anything you want.

Spotify should have dumped him.

Sometimes cancel culture is a good thing and people who are censored deserve it. Not sure I follow the China analogy.
The China analogy is simply to see how a valid point can have consequences, although we can all agree censoring people can be the right thing to do, it opens precedents to do things that restrict freedom, in this case of speech, in the case of China, we can all agree recording people's actions can be a good thing in terms of security, but it opens precedents to restrict their individual freedom, and if history tells us anything, once a door is open, we don't know what it'll come out, in my view, once it touches human rights, don't open it.

The only community that mattered in regards to the vaccine is the scientific community, and AFAIK there isn't a peer reviewed scientific paper anywhere that states the covid vaccine as anything other than overwhelming positive.
To me, they are, but I respect those who don't. Science became a big thing, it wasn't a big thing, now science replaced religion on the top of the shelf. No one whose sane would dare to contradict science, because science deals with facts, not suppositions, not faith. Although, I believe people should have will, should choose, and should be responsible for their actions, in this case their calling would be a life or death situation, they knew exactly what they were getting into.

Actually I don't believe you should be able to have a platform of millions and bring on discredited anti vaxxers at such a critical time during a pandemic. Alex Jones is finding out you can't just say anything you want.

Spotify should have dumped him.
I don't share the same opinion, anything that restricts any type of freedom, I'm not voting. We live in a time of information, people should separate the wheat from the chaff. There's people doing crazy things in the name of faith nowadays, not taking a vaccine was one, that's their call, they have information on television, they have information everywhere, we can't restrict freedom of speech.

I don't believe in cancel culture. It's the worst, and it only affects the small creators.

Science is also about questioning things. I am triple vaxed (Covishield) so far from an anti-vaxer (a phenomenon I personally find amusing existing in first world countries), but they were far from perfect. Do give the reports on Pfizer's a read.

And to be fair to Rogan, he gave people from both sides an opportunity to speak.

As for Rogan's podcast in general, I like the fact that he gives his platform to people who are routinely boycotted by the mainstream. And the format is laid back and good listen.

The China analogy is simply to see how a valid point can have consequences, although we can all agree censoring people can be the right thing to do, it opens precedents to do things that restrict freedom, in this case of speech, in the case of China, we can all agree recording people's actions can be a good thing in terms of security, but it opens precedents to restrict their individual freedom, and if history tells us anything, once a door is open, we don't know what it'll come out, in my view, once it touches human rights, don't open it.
China isn't very comparable to western democratic nations, and the Chinese people aren't exactly free in the sense that we are hence my earlier confusion about the China analogy.

To me, they are, but I respect those who don't. Science became a big thing, it wasn't a big thing, now science replaced religion on the top of the shelf. No one whose sane would dare to contradict science, because science deals with facts, not suppositions, not faith. Although, I believe people should have will, should choose, and should be responsible for their actions, in this case their calling would be a life or death situation, they knew exactly what they were getting into.
People should be responsible for their actions but this doesn't work in practice, something like 20% of Americans have fallen into QAnon and all that goes with it, they fill their Facebook feeds up with anti vaxx rhetoric, then in many thousands of cases they catch Covid, go to Hospital despite stating that they wouldn't, and die, sometimes even coughing and spluttering that their Doctors are sheep and Covid isn't real in their final minutes. I've read the stories from Docs/nurses.

Saying that they knew what they were getting into just doesn't stack up, many of these poor people begged for the vaccine in the end but it was too late.

I don't share the same opinion, anything that restricts any type of freedom, I'm not voting. We live in a time of information, people should separate the wheat from the chaff. There's people doing crazy things in the name of faith nowadays, not taking a vaccine was one, that's their call, they have information on television, they have information everywhere, we can't restrict freedom of speech.
I mean I guess no one should ever go to prison then as that restricts freedom .

Similar to the above large swathes of the population just aren't equipped to do that, especially a large % of Americans brought up on faith based belief systems.

I mentioned Alex Jones earlier, he was free to state that Sandy Hook wasn't real and now I bet he wishes he didn't. Should he be free to say those things?

The trick is not minding
No, he lacks the wit of Carson and the presence. Rohan is slightly too in your face. If it wasn’t for his anti vaxx stance, he probably wouldn’t be as well known. *

Having the right to say certain things has doesn’t recuse one from ado facing the consequences of it. It’s not a restriction of freedom, much like cancel culture isn’t. Although I agree cancel culture can go too far at times, for the most part, it’s their bosses who ultimately decides such things, and that’s still not even a restriction of their rights.

It isn’t discriminatory in any way.

I don't have any need to lump Rogan into either a good guy or bad guy category. He's too busy meeting the quota for dumb guy. And, unfortunately, has an audience who believes because he puts a bunch of bumpkin brains on his show who most hosts wouldn't be bothered with, or actively avoid, is somehow the gateway to truth. He's not. He just gives a lot of conspiracy addled dip shits all the room they need to spin their web, and because Rogan's not astute enough to really push back on any of their claims, they come off looking much smarter than they really are.

I can give credit to Rogan in the fact that I believe he's got a lot of curiosity about various subjects, with is something that is lacking in a lot of people these days. But, as stated above, he's pretty dumb and so really doesn't get much mileage out of this curiosity. So unless we really need to hear another story about his isolation tank, or to learn the chemical composition of DMT, Joe Rogan is an intellectual dead end.

I don't have any need to lump Rogan into either a good guy or bad guy category. He's too busy meeting the quota for dumb guy. And, unfortunately, has an audience who believes because he puts a bunch of bumpkin brains on his show who most hosts wouldn't be bothered with, or actively avoid, is somehow the gateway to truth. He's not. He just gives a lot of conspiracy addled dip shits all the room they need to spin their web, and because Rogan's not astute enough to really push back on any of their claims, they come off looking much smarter than they really are.

I can give credit to Rogan in the fact that I believe he's got a lot of curiosity about various subjects, with is something that is lacking in a lot of people these days. But, as stated above, he's pretty dumb and so really doesn't get much mileage out of this curiosity. So unless we really need to hear another story about his isolation tank, or to learn the chemical composition of DMT, Joe Rogan is an intellectual dead end.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've seen only a little bit of him, and was surprised when I saw he had a successful show like that, based on what I saw of Fear Factor. He speaks well (relative to most of the population), but doesn't come off as particularly intelligent. I consider myself to be of about average intelligence, so I need a person to impress me to think they are at a high level and he doesn't quite do that. However, what Crumbsroom says is a large part of the battle. I wouldn't compare him to Carson, who just had a way about him that set him apart. As far as who he has on his show, I'm strongly in favor of people like that hosting others with differing opinions no matter how ridiculous they may seem. If a person can't separate truth from fiction on their own, they're screwed anyway.

I mean I guess no one should ever go to prison then as that restricts freedom .
One of the principles of freedom is that yours ends when someone else's begins. If my actions are restricting you from your freedom, then actions should be taken against me, that's called justice.

About @crumbsroom comment.

Truth and intellectualization might not be what people that watch his show want, they'd be watching another channels, with more rhetorical debates and charts, and actual proofs, but that's boring and people don't want that.

People want interesting people, and those are usually passionate, that inspire by their devotion to something, some are great storytellers, some lived some experience they'd like to share, and because it's something new, people want to hear it. Some others might want validation for their ideals and lifestyles.

He's dumb, but he's truthful, that might be better than someone who actually knows what he's talking about, because two people that can understand each other, normally talk in terms no one else can understand.

The trick is not minding
One of the principles of freedom is that yours ends when someone else's begins. If my actions are restricting you from your freedom, then actions should be taken against me, that's called justice.
Hyperbole. If his show is ever canceled over his views, His freedom isn’t really being taken away. They’re just taking away his platform to do so. Which is also their right, btw. They have an obligation to keeping customers happy, which is always a fine line to begin with.
He can rant and rave about it via other means. It’s not like he is being censored by the government itself, after all.

And before there is any counter touting Freedom Of Speech, it has never been held as an absolute and has always had restrictions. Cancel culture doesn’t even violate the First Amendment, because the First Amendment only protects against the government censorship of free speech (as alluded to in above paragraph) and doesn’t apply to what private individuals can and will do.

Hyperbole. If his show is ever canceled over his views, His freedom isn’t really being taken away. They’re just taking away his platform to do so. Which is also their right, btw. They have an obligation to keeping customers happy, which is always a fine line to begin with.
He can rant and rave about it via other means. It’s not like he is being censored by the government itself, after all.

And before there is any counter touting Freedom Of Speech, it has never been held as an absolute and has always had restrictions. Cancel culture doesn’t even violate the First Amendment, because the First Amendment only protects against the government censorship of free speech (as alluded to in above paragraph) and doesn’t apply to what private individuals can and will do.

Deplatforming of any kind is a terrible thing and backward behaviour. Unless someone is actually giving a call for violence (and not the 'Words are violence' BS), no one should be deplaformed.

You as an individual are free to 'choose' to not view/hear someone if you disagree with them or their perspectives. It's not that hard, and actually the liberal way, instead of robbing others an opportunity to experience them.

Interestingly, Rogan has given exposure to a lot of people who are actually deplatformed or threatened with it. And that for me is admirable, even if once in while one those individuals turns out to be an absolute whooper like say Alex Jones. I can always ignore him, or if I feel strongly counter his views online.

Secondly, banning bad ideas actually makes them more popular. Or unchallenged bad ideas ferment into something worse. I would rather have those ideas or idiots exposing themselves and be countered.