Wolfgang Petersen dead at 81

Tools    

R.I.P. Das Boot, The Neverending Story and In the Line of Fire are all great. I still need to see Enemy Mine.

Speaking of movies of his I haven't seen, it's too bad the ones he made in Germany are not more readily available. He made a movie called Black and White Like Day and Night with Bruno Ganz as a chess expert and a bank robbery movie called Four Against the Bank (which he remade in 2016) that I'd love to see.

"In the Line of Fire" is my favorite Eastwood film, so I was sad when I saw this news. I also liked "Air Force One" and Outbreak."

"In the Line of Fire" is actually one of the few films that I think was made better because Eastwood didn't direct it. There aren't that many of his movies that I'd say that about, but I think this more action-oriented story needed a faster pace, and a less intimate and deliberative approach to the story. I also particularly like Ennio Morricone's wonderful score, which I think would have been very different had Eastwood directed it. It would have likely been more sparse, be more in the background, and much less operatic and serve less powerfully as a soundtrack to the events of the film. I also think not directing himself allowed Eastwood to concentrate more on his performance, which I think made it better. Frank Horrigan is one of my favorite performances of his, and there is an intensity and a focus to his performance, and a poignance to his performance, that I think is unique to this film and that are not as present in some of his other works as an actor. Wolfgang Petersen was a great choice for the film. What does everyone else think? Do people agree with this point of view, or do you see this differently? I think Eastwood didn't direct this because he wanted a break after directing both "Unforgiven" and "A Perfect World".

Das Boot is great, never realised he directed Troy.
Requiescat in pace Wolfgang!

“I was cured, all right!”
Air Force One (oneof my favorites from childhood), In the Line of Fire, Das Boot,The Perfect Storm... really like all of them. RIP

I think in tribute to Petersen I'd like to watch "Das Boot." There are 3 different versions. The theatrical, the directors cut and the miniseries. Which is the best one? What does everyone recommend?

I think in tribute to Petersen I'd like to watch "Das Boot." There are 3 different versions. The theatrical, the directors cut and the miniseries. Which is the best one? What does everyone recommend?
Director's cut is top notch for me over the theatrical. I can't speak for the miniseries, other than I know it gives extra time to some of the more minor characters, whereas the director's cut features improved editing and soundtrack. With good value at over 3hrs I think the director's cut would be a good choice. It was his final vision for the film anyway.

Director's cut is top notch for me over the theatrical. I can't speak for the miniseries, other than I know it gives extra time to some of the more minor characters, whereas the director's cut features improved editing and soundtrack. With good value at over 3hrs I think the director's cut would be a good choice. It was his final vision for the film anyway.

I say go for the Mega-Cut which includes all the materials, including outtakes, and which has gaps in time between scenes covered by Ken Burns narrating letters and diaries or German Submariners. It's a slog, but it's 52 hours I don't regret.

See my reply below:

I nominated Dad Boot in the 29th HoF The members of the 29th watched different versions of it. I watched the mini series which I enjoyed but the sound mixing wasn't the greatest...so I agree with James D. Gardiner that the extended Director's cut is the way to go as it has improved sound mixing and sound effects.

I liked The Perfect Storm, though I found it very difficult to watch. I liked Air Force One as well, though I have to admit that I had a hard time understanding what Gary Oldman was saying for about 2/3 of the movie.