Greta Gerwig called to direct Live Action Snow White

Tools    

But this thread is about her Direction isn't it?

Exactly. I don't think she's gonna kill her directorial career just yet, not like Duncan Jones did.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Peter Dinklage is angry they are remaking this. Guy is going sabotage the chance for hopefully 7 dwarf actors to get their big break because of fake ass virtue signaling. Like he didn't play up his dwarf image in Elf to help his career (it was a funny role). Progressives have become so progressive to the point it's regressive.
Of course that's the argument you can make for minstrel shows and 1940s movies featuring black comic reliefs ŕ la Sleep'n'eat. Hey, don't diss it, at least it gives them jobs.

And tell that to people who spent their life being likened to the seven cartoon dwarves, the go-to caricature thrown at them since childhood. But hey, I know I know, internet culture war lock her up and all that.

The dumb thing is indeed trying to make a "progressive" movie out of what is, at the roots, literally, a vehicle for medieval values and representations - which means it has a poetry of its own, but rooted in a different universe. It can be appreciated with distance and relativism (The VVitch-like), but to adapt it to modern values, there would be too much to overhaul. It's doomed to hilariously absurd contradictions and double standards. Just like the thrill of colonial adventures can't be retained without premises that wouldn't fly nowadays (Fu-Manchu isn't Fu-Manchu without the aura of the mystical-mysterious-Asia as fantasized by the West, and daring jungle explorations aren't the same without ridiculous stone-age animalistic cannibal primitives). Can't have the cake and eat it. Dinklage is correct in pointing it out, and accusing him to do it *for publicity" is the internetest thing ever.

Or the mofoest thing, as it seems.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
And how does that differ from a movie being based on fantasy and not reality?
Dinklage took the roles he was offered because what else would he take? He was limited in what was offered, and what was there wasn’t exactly the best representation of dwarves, and decided to speak up about it. He didn’t just become outspoken about it, either. He has long been vocal. He even stated as much during his audition for Game of Thrones. To which they agreed. This isn’t something as simple as “biting the hand that feeds him”.
Well I listened to that part of the podcast, but I don't understand what he was saying exactly, that having dwarves in an adaptation of Snow White is so bad. Is he saying that there shouldn't be dwarf characters in the movie, period? Or what is he saying exactly?

Well I listened to that part of the podcast, but I don't understand what he was saying exactly, that having dwarves in an adaptation of Snow White is so bad. Is he saying that there shouldn't be dwarf characters in the movie, period? Or what is he saying exactly?
I would think he's probably bored of yet another film where people with dwarfism are playing mythical creatures. Actors, whatever medical condition/race/sexuality, etc. , just want to play interesting characters, not just there for the sake of novelty.

A system of cells interlinked
After catching a couple of recent interviews with the lead actress of this film, I am bowled over by her narcissistic takes on a film that was in essence, an animated masterpiece about the dangers of vanity. From removing the 7 dwarves, which are a straight up fantasy race, in an effort not to offend people, to casting the prince as a "stalker" and "creepy,", all while parading the idea around that her Snow White will be the "leader she knows she can be," pretty much comes across as the most tone deaf publicity campaign I have ever seen. It's either a super clever, meta take on the original film's subtext, or this girl is a jack wagon.

I am thinking it's the latter...

The original Snow White is a timeless classic. This remake will go straight into the heap of other recent Disney live action remakes, which IMO, are almost all terrible, soulless cash grabs. Disney is in a really bad place currently, and it's a shame.

Like I said at the start this was a bad idea from the start. These remakes are terrible and seem to exist solely for the sake of ruining young actors careers by throwing them in the middle of this toxic hellscape that is gender politics in the 2020's.

You aren't doing anything new or original by stripping the sexuality out of these films. These films should be romantic woman generally speaking really like romances everything from 50 Shades of Grey to The Notebook to When Harry Met Sally. Giant franchises like Twilight and The Hunger Games revolved around the love triangles.

Welcome to the human race...
And you aren't doing anything new or original by insisting that movies made primarily for women must be romances. The 1937 Snow White having a random Prince Charming show up at the absolute end of the movie plays like some kind of deus ex machina and would not be particularly satisfying on a narrative level. Of course, I'm definitely of the opinion that they shouldn't be doing these remakes regardless of whatever sociopolitical discourse the creators and/or general public want to cook up - complaining that the star isn't showing the proper respect to the original or whatever only matters so much in this context.

And you aren't doing anything new or original by insisting that movies made primarily for women must be romances. The 1937 Snow White having a random Prince Charming show up at the absolute end of the movie plays like some kind of deus ex machina and would not be particularly satisfying on a narrative level. Of course, I'm definitely of the opinion that they shouldn't be doing these remakes regardless of whatever sociopolitical discourse the creators and/or general public want to cook up - complaining that the star isn't showing the proper respect to the original or whatever only matters so much in this context.

What was the last major Hollywood romance film released...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm willing to give it a shot, even though I think it is unnecessary and a bad idea. You never know, it might end up being a really entertaining, fun twist on the story.

What was the last major Hollywood romance film released...
Depends how you define "major Hollywood romance", but I'd probably give it to No Hard Feelings.

Nope that was a sex comedy try again
I mean...

You aren't doing anything new or original by stripping the sexuality out of these films.
So either sexuality and romance are interchangeable in this context or they aren't. Either way, it doesn't matter if Disney's original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs barely counts as a romance in the first place.

The trick is not minding
Also, who cares if the romantic comedy is evolving? Our idea of romance has changed greatly over time, and the movies should reflect that. Cinema should also be evolving. Moving forward, never sitting still and becoming stagnant. Ranting about “gender politics” is low hanging fruit imo.

I mean, no one bemoans the death of the screwball comedy, after all…..

The trick is not minding
I don't think any version can top the 1995 Italian version of Snow White & 7 Dwarves. It's one of my absolute favourites.

& Julia Larot is by far the prettiest Snow White ever.
I haven’t seen that version but I’m a fan of Spain’s more recent version, Blancanieves, which is shot in black & white.