Atlanta (FX TV Series)

Tools    

Unregistered User
Thought I would try this out the other day. Ended up watching the first 8 episodes! Great fun and very funny. The last couple of episodes weren't as strong as the first but I liked how 8 ended.

Thought I would try this out the other day. Ended up watching the first 8 episodes! Great fun and very funny. The last couple of episodes weren't as strong as the first but I liked how 8 ended.
Glad you liked it. The second season is more bizarre, unsettling and layered. It's truly brilliant so far.

Just finished the first season last night. Pretty good. I liked it more than I expected.

I'm a pretty big Donald Glover fan, but I'd assumed from the bits I'd seen that this wasn't particularly comedic. Basically, I thought it was going to be an hour-long drama, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a half hour and mostly a comedy, at least if you had to choose one word to classify it. I'd heard it was kinda strange and experimental and there were hints of that in the first season, and from word-of-mouth it sounds like that gets ramped up in the second. Looking forward to it.

WARNING: "Atlanta" spoilers below
how can you tell?

WARNING: "." spoilers below
shall we only communicate in this manner from now on?

This is like an episode from Atlanta

Last night's episode was some ham-handed sh*t.

I keep forgetting Season 3 is finally here....gotta get to it

Hmm. I don't know. I'm not really liking this season as much as the last two. I know it's targeted to a younger, hipper audience but come on.

I think it's hit that Cosby Show tipping point where as soon as it's established and enjoying success the characters start coasting and become enormously self-satisfied. I keep waiting for Earn or Alfred to start bringing on their grandfathers, all of whom are jazz musicians.

Or ... it's trenchant commentary on the perils of success. I suppose we should simply trust Glover to deliver the goods.

Eventually.

I’m digging the new season. I think the only episode I didn’t like was the second one. They’ve all been great otherwise.

Several episodes in and loving it. Episode 3 with the tree was hysterical

Final season premieres Thursday with back to back episodes. I think (hope) they're back from Europe and back in Atlanta.

Lotta backs in there.

Don't know if there's already a thread for this show, if so, please relocate it for me. Watching the pilot for this FX series that won its star an Emmy and Golden Globe playing Earn, a young hustler who, along with his cousin, Alfred, want to make it in rap. Brian Tyree Henry, Oscar nominee for Causeway plays Alfred. As the pilot opens, Earn is trying to balance his rap dream with the realities of room, board, and supporting his daughter. Lakeith Stanford, Oscar nominee for Judas and the Black Messiah also plays Albert "Paper Boi"'s, dog Darius. Very pleased to see veteran Isaiah Whitlock playing Earn's father. It's already looking like Paper Boi is going to be too much of a loose cannon for Earn to handle. Wow, one episode and our hero is wanted for murder? Yeah, I'm in.

Paper Boi was wrong to call out that video star at the police station at the beginning of ep 2. Guess Paper Boi thinks any publicity is good publicity. Brian played that cop and the selfie scene. Did Earn really ask his baby mama to bail him out? Can't believe that stranger sharing his story with Earn. OK, what the hell is wrong with Darius? What was with the salt and pepper shakers? The opening of the box of chicken looked like an homage to the case in Pulp Fiction. I think chicken place employee freaked Paper Boi out. The treatment of Toilet Water Lee was a little over the top. It's interesting that Paper Boi still has a degree of anonymity right now...not everybody knows who he is. Are we supposed to believe that the guy in jail had no idea his girl was a tranny? Why did the guy with the trans girlfriend insist on keeping Earn in the middle of his business. "That ain't gay, that's just jail."

OK, we're up to season 1 ep 3. The Kids meal argument was genius. "You only get that on commission though...you gotta sell drugs." How are you going to get mad at someone driving a car for listening to your phone conversation you're having on the passenger side? What the hell is wrong with Darius? Who names their gun? D Earn and Vanessa have the same hairdresser? How convenient that the restaurant only offers one soap priced $28.00. $28.00 for a bowl of soup? Really? Why you gonna let a guy go who owes you money and then shoot him? I find it a little hard to believe that Vanessa wasn't catching that Earn can't afford this meal. Loved when Earn tore the waitress a new one, that was awesome. That was really stupid what Earn said to Vanessa through the door, glad she recognized it. This episode was written by a Stephen Glover, is he related to Donald?

Love the title of ep4..."The Streisand Effect". Can't wait to find out what it means. Tell Earn 1972 called, they want their tie-dye shirt back. That opening scene was weird. After the last ep, I'm not surprised that Earn is no staying with Vanessa. Just for the record, I know who Steve McQueen is. And I'm not talking about the guy who directed 12 Years a Slave. Darius has a squirm worthy obsession with weaponry. I'm over this blogger Zan already. Zan seems to have something very personal against Paper Boi, I guess more will be revealed. Brian Tyree Henry was SO good in that scene with Zan delivering pizza. Earn doesn't need to be getting pissed at Darius he needs to be taking care of his own business. Didn't catch the significance of the title.