Help me with 2010s Movie Recommendations

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I would've never considered Drive for you.
And I’ll second what cricket said about Drive. I enjoy it but would never have suggested it for you.
I probably wouldn't have watched Drive if I hadn't thought it was Locke, but I remembered seeing the trailer for Locke and I thought it looked interesting. I remembered the name of the movie wrong, but once I started watching Drive, it had a great cast, so I decided to give it a chance.

Had I known you hadn’t seen Coco or Zootopia I would have suggested them, but I assumed you had already seen them. Zootopia is a lock for my ballot. I like Coco but I probably won’t vote for it.
I've had the DVDs of both Coco and Zootopia for a while, but I just never got around to watching them. They both have a chance to make my list.

That's one of the things that I like about these countdowns. They push me to watch movies that I have on DVD, but I just haven't gotten around to yet.

After mistaking the movie Drive for the movie Locke (2013), I bumped this up to the top of my watchlist. I like how the entire movie focuses on Tom Hardy as he drives from work to be with the woman who is giving birth to his baby. He spends almost the entire movie on the phone, as he deals with work-related problems and family problems, including the fact that the woman giving birth is not his wife.

Tom Hardy proves that he's a great actor in this movie. He makes you feel everything he's going through without ever leaving the driver's seat of his car.

I don't think this movie will make my list, but it was a great movie, and I'm glad I watched it.

I watched a couple of good sci-fi movies that were not recommended by anyone, but they have both been on my watchlist for a while.

First Man (2018) is a great movie, but the main problem for me was that I never saw Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong. Ryan Gosling is just too recognizable, and every time I saw him on screen, I saw Ryan Gosling, not Neil Armstrong. His acting was great, but his face and voice are just too recognizable for him to portray a real person. Other than that, I loved the movie.

I watched Ad Astra (2019), but I don't think I gave this a fair chance because I kept getting interrupted while watching it, but I liked what I saw of it, (with the exception of a couple of graphic scenes). I've never been a big fan of Brad Pitt, but I seem to like him more and more as he's been getting older. I don't know why, but maybe he's been taking better roles.

The movie was slow moving, but I think it worked well for the tone of this movie.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Ad Astra"!!!" spoilers below
When Roy finally found his father, and his father told him that he never cared about Roy or his family, and then when Roy had to let his father drift off into space, it was heartbreaking. I think it was the only time we saw Roy show any real emotion in the movie.
Overall, I liked the movie, but it probably won't make my list.

I plan on watching First Man just because it's about the space program but I know what you mean about a well known actor playing a famous historical character, it can be a tough sell.

I thought Ad Astra was entertaining but it won't be making my ballot. Hopefully I can find some more sci fi to watch before the countdown.

I plan on watching First Man just because it's about the space program but I know what you mean about a well known actor playing a famous historical character, it can be a tough sell.
It usually doesn't bother me when a well known actor plays someone famous, but for some reason, this one just kind of jumped off the screen for me.

@Citizen Rules and @John Dumbear,

I'm not a fan of Laurel and Hardy, but I watched Stan & Ollie (2018), and I liked it. I think I liked it because it's about their friendship, and how much they loved each other, and their movies are not the focus of the movie. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are terrific as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Stan & Ollie"!!!" spoilers below
The ending is heartbreaking, especially the final words on screen at the end of the movie. It shows how important these two people were to each other throughout their lives.

Thank you for the great recommendation.

@cricket,

I watched Philomena (2013), but I probably shouldn't have watched it right after watching the Laurel and Hardy movie because every time I looked at Steve Coogan's character, I still saw him as Stan Laurel, and it was a bit distracting.

But about the movie, this movie is a roller coaster of emotions.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about "Philomena"!!!" spoilers below
It was heartbreaking when she watched them take her son away. I was practically in tears watching her run after him. Then there was a short happiness when Martin found him, but that ended quickly when he realized that her son had died, and she would never be able to meet him. And it just goes back and forth as they find people who knew her son Michael, and they learn both the good and bad about his life.
The saddest part about this movie is that it's based on a true story.

Philomena is still in consideration for my ballot. I almost suggested it for you but I wasn't sure if it wasn't too sad.

Glad you liked Laurel & Hardy. I think it's one of the best bio-pics I've ever seen and it doesn't matter if someone isn't familiar with the comedy team. Like you said it's about loyalty and lifelong friendship. I think it's a very well made and shot movie with a very adult story. I don't mean adult as in R rated, I mean it's not the usual stuff Hollywood churns out.

@Tugg,
I watched Gone Girl (2014), and I liked the twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat, but the movie is full of plot holes, and I hated the ending. The movie is good, but with a little more work, it could have been great.

Thank you for the recommendation.

@thracian dawg and @Thief,

I watched Inside Llewyn Davis (2013), and I liked the movie, but once again, I just don't "get" the Coen's humor. The movie was interesting to watch, but I just didn't find much humor in it. The movie was depressing at times, but I liked Oscar Isaac as Llewyn Davis. I liked the music, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he did his own singing in the movie.

i'd highly recommend the film Barfi! (2012). it's a really cute romance film and it made me cry at least 3 different times lmao.
This is actually a good shout, and the kind of movie @gbgoodies would enjoy.

Mind you, it heavily plagiarises a lot of concepts from old movies, even though the director claimed that he was paying homages to them.

But it ended up being a really wonderful movie. Makes you feel sad and happy, and leaves a smile on your face.

On a side note, I have seen one of its actresses, Ileana D'Cruz, in person and she is breathtakingly beautiful in a delicate and graceful sense.

i'd highly recommend the film Barfi! (2012). it's a really cute romance film and it made me cry at least 3 different times lmao.
This is actually a good shout, and the kind of movie @gbgoodies would enjoy.

Mind you, it heavily plagiarises a lot of concepts from old movies, even though the director claimed that he was paying homages to them.

But it ended up being a really wonderful movie. Makes you feel sad and happy, and leaves a smile on your face.

On a side note, I have seen one of its actresses, Ileana D'Cruz, in person and she is breathtakingly beautiful in a delicate and graceful sense.

I read a little bit about Barfi! when it was originally recommended, and I found it on YouTube, but it doesn't have English subtitles. If I can find it with the subtitles, I'll try to watch it.

Thank you.

@cricket,
I had been avoiding Dallas Buyers Club (2013) because it didn't sound like my type of movie, and I've never been a fan of Matthew McConaughey, but I decided to watch it because it was recommended, and it aired on one of the cable movie channels. Even though Ron Woodroof isn't a likable person, this is one of Matthew McConaughey's best performances.

This is a tough watch because it's usually a losing battle with AIDS, but it was interesting to see how hard Ron Woodroof fought to try to help so many people. I had never heard about these "buyers clubs" for people with AIDS, but it's nice to know that there were people like Woodruff who were fighting for the rights of these people to get the correct drugs. This movie probably won't make my list, but I'm glad I watched it.

Nobody recommended Side Effects (2013) to me, but it aired on one of the cable movie channels, and it sounded good, so I decided to watch it. This movie is a pretty good thriller. Some of the twists seemed a little too obvious, but some of them surprised me. Great performances by Rooney Mara and Jude Law.

Nobody recommended Side Effects (2013) to me, but it aired on one of the cable movie channels, and it sounded good, so I decided to watch it. This movie is a pretty good thriller. Some of the twists seemed a little too obvious, but some of them surprised me. Great performances by Rooney Mara and Jude Law.
I really like Side Effects. The first half in particular is really strong and unpredictable.

Cloud Atlas (2012) - this is a little bit of everything - period drama, comedy, romance, action, sci-fi - jumping from one time period to the next, following six main characters across different worlds, with a lot of the same actors reappearing in the different stories. It's often more than a little bit silly, but it worked for me.

This is the second time I've watched Cloud Atlas (2012), but I didn't remember anything about it except that it was very confusing the first time I watched it, so it was basically like watching it for the first time again. I thought a rewatch would have helped with the confusion, but unfortunately it didn't. It was just as confusing the second time.

I think the problem for me is that I have a hard time recognizing some of these people in the different storylines, so it's hard for me to keep track of how these stories are connected. I think I could probably watch this movie 50 times, and I would still be confused. (I might have to flowchart it out one day to see if I can figure it out.)

But it feels like it has the potential to be a good movie if I can figure out the connections, and some of the actors were so well hidden in certain characters that I didn't recognize them, even during the end credits when it showed their pictures next to their names.

@mistique,
I watched Shutter Island (2010), and I liked it. I figured out the twist in this pretty early in the movie, but that didn't take much away from the movie. Instead of being a movie with a twist at the end, it turned out to be more like a long episode of the TV show "Columbo", where you know who did it, but the fun is watching everything unfold, and seeing how he figures it out.

The only issues I had with this movie were little things, like the fact that DiCaprio doesn't really work for me as a noir-type of detective, and wondering why Ruffalo's character kept calling him "Boss", when they just met and they're supposed to be partners. But those were minor issues that didn't take anything away from the movie.

@cricket,
I watched American Hustle (2013), and it's basically a slightly above average movie with a very 1970s feel to it. The first hour or so is kind of slow, but it picks up with a great twist at the end. The great acting makes the movie worth watching.

Thanks for the great recommendation.

@Citizen Rules and @John Dumbear,

I'm not a fan of Laurel and Hardy, but I watched Stan & Ollie (2018), and I liked it. I think I liked it because it's about their friendship, and how much they loved each other, and their movies are not the focus of the movie. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are terrific as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Stan & Ollie"!!!" spoilers below
The ending is heartbreaking, especially the final words on screen at the end of the movie. It shows how important these two people were to each other throughout their lives.

I still can't get over the make-up on John C. Reilly - they MADE him into Oliver Hardy in every respect: the face, the body type, and Reilly had the voice & mannerisms down. It was actually hard to tell it was John C. Reilly if you didn't know it was him.

Steve Coogan was equally good - looked the part (almost naturally without enhancement) and played Stan as you'd imagine him in real life.