Titanic

→ in
Tools    

Hi

I wanted to ask why is there only one iceberg in the movie? I read that at the crash site were many large icebergs and even floating ice.
It sounds like you're interested in the sinking of the Titanic. I am and I've watched a number of documentaries on it, but it wasn't until I watched Titanic's Final Mystery that all of the events of that faithful night made sense. I really suggest you give that a watch.

I didn't hate the movie, but I didn't think it was better than L.A. Confidential, and therefore, I don't think Titanic should have won the Best Picture Oscar.
Agreed...love Titanic, but LA Confidential should have won Best Picture, though the impact Titanic made, not to mention 10 other Oscars, the win was no surprise.

I hope you're joking Mr Commish.

1. Agreed. It should have been rated R. The painting scene was a commercial ploy by Cameron and I don't know how he got it past the MPAA.

2. Leonardo Di Caprio is not a bad actor. The poor guy has men all over the world hating him simply because he starred in a successful film. Check out his oscar nominated work in "What's eating Gilbert Grape?" He is fantastic in that. He stole Romeo and Juliet. Claire Danes was the weak link in that picture. And the Beach, a real disappointment, had nothing to do with Di Caprio. His performance was great. That film was Danny Boyle's fault.

3. Inaccuracies?!? You know a guy is in trouble when he starts saying the film is inaccurate. It's not a documentary! It doesn't say "A TRUE STORY" in the credits, does it? Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Thirteen Days, these all changed history to create more interesting drama. Titanic did the same.

4. Promotes Promiscuity. What film or TV show doesn't? How many people do the cast of Friends sleep with in a year? The world is sex mad my friend. It's wrong but it's a fact.
I recently saw what's Eating Gilbert Grape? and DiCaprio was fantastic.

The part with the water rushing under neath the couple in bed was what got to me. Very powerful scene.
The moment that ALWAYS makes me cry no matter how many times I watch it, is when Rose is being lowered down into the water in the lifeboat and can't take her eyes off jack, then she suddenly jumps out of the lifeboat, rushes back to Jack's arms, where Jack smothers her in kisses while crying "You're so stupid, Rose!" That scene destroys me every time I watch the movie.

It sounds like you're interested in the sinking of the Titanic. I am and I've watched a number of documentaries on it, but it wasn't until I watched Titanic's Final Mystery that all of the events of that faithful night made sense. I really suggest you give that a watch.
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely look. The theme of the Titanic disaster is very multifaceted. I read that there were three possibilities even to save the Titanic itself after a collision without the possibility of mooring to an iceberg.

1. The captain had to stop the ship or back up. It is believed that the initial decision to go to Newfoundlen for urgent repairs resulted in a multiple increase in leakage due to increased pressure on the holes from the bow. As you know, 10 minutes after the collision, the captain gave the order to move north at low speed, and the movement continued for three kilometers for about 20 minutes.

2. Counterflooding. Theorists believe that the flooding of the two aft compartments may have prevented the ship from sinking.

3. Dumping cargo overboard. It is estimated that for this it was necessary to throw into the sea about 800 tons from the ship. Only anchors with chains weighed 200 tons, and there were about 7 thousand tons of coal on board the ship before sailing, with a daily consumption of 900 tons.

It is surprising that the 62-year-old experienced captain did nothing to save his ship. He was probably really drunk, as some passengers claim.

In Cameron's film, for some reason, the captain is shown as a completely cold-blooded sober person who steers the ship at full speed despite warnings about icebergs. Although he knows about the insufficient number of lifeboats and the absence of binoculars from sailors on watch on a moonless night. And even after the collision, the boats are half-filled, which leads to an increase in the number of dead by about 500 people.