Greta Gerwig called to direct Live Action Snow White

Tools    

I wouldn't normally start a thread for a life action Disney remake, but Greta Gerwig, people. I doubt it'll be better, might it certainly might be good.

Her take on Little Women didn't blow me away, but this sounds like something I could get behind. Now that I've heard about it, I will have to work the Disney film into my watchlist since I've never seen it.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...e-seven-dwarfs

That being said, I'm all for casting people of all sorts of colors in all sorts of roles, and making cretins weep loudly because james bond, heimdall or spider-man is black, brown or whatever feels the most "racially" blasphematory to them. But... "Snow White" being a moniker given to the girl because of how super hyper duper white skinned she was (a medieval sign of aristocratic beauty and status, I guess staying inside was a notable wealth privilege), it does feel a bit more confusing than, say, a latina Sleeping Beauty.

But whatever. Disney's Cinderella got glass shoes as an absurdly botched translation of "pantoufles de vair" ("vair" is sqirrel fur, glass is "verre"), we won't start nitpicking now about hollywoodian interpretations of classic fairy tales...

Peter Dinklage is angry they are remaking this. Guy is going sabotage the chance for hopefully 7 dwarf actors to get their big break because of fake ass virtue signaling. Like he didn't play up his dwarf image in Elf to help his career (it was a funny role). Progressives have become so progressive to the point it's regressive.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Here's a cross-cultural take maybe everyone can agree with: whatever Greta Gerwig was going to make instead of this would probably have been more interesting and valuable than this.

Here's a cross-cultural take maybe everyone can agree with: whatever Greta Gerwig was going to make instead of this would probably have been more interesting and valuable than this.
Barbie?

Actually, I agree.

I wouldn't normally start a thread for a life action Disney remake, but Greta Gerwig, people.
Is she that much of a talented director then? I wouldn't say she's set the world alight with her tiny output so far.

A system of cells interlinked
Peter Dinklage is angry they are remaking this. Guy is going sabotage the chance for hopefully 7 dwarf actors to get their big break because of fake ass virtue signaling. Like he didn't play up his dwarf image in Elf to help his career (it was a funny role). Progressives have become so progressive to the point it's regressive.
I don't get his angle here. I always saw these characters as a sort of fantasy or mythical creature, and not just a little person. Along the lines of the dwarves in LotR or material like that. My guess is Dinklage finds his popularity and attention dropping off, and is trying to get himself back in the spotlight, maybe?

For anyone who actually wants to hear Dinklage's remarks in context and in his tone of voice instead of ascribing motives and attitudes you assume he has, here is the WTF interview with Mark Maron in its entirety.

The lead in to it starts about at the 41:00-ish minutes mark, the actual remarks that are being quoted everywhere come around 43:00, and they move into a different subject around 48:00. If you have five or ten minutes (or the whole hour), give it a listen.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The trick is not minding
People seem to be misunderstanding (and misrepresenting Dinklage’s comments). He wants the dwarven community to be represented as actual people, rather than an fantasy myth, and I get his misgivings here.

He simply points out that if they’re going to be progressive with a Latina Snow White, then why not feature dwarves as human being rather than as these cave dwellers as they’ve been represented as for so long?

Before we question his motives, take a look at him. He himself is a dwarf, so of course he’s going to fight for their portrayal. He has for a long time.

Is she that much of a talented director then? I wouldn't say she's set the world alight with her tiny output so far.

Let's put it like this: she's the only reason I'd watch the upcoming live-action Barbie movie.

People seem to be misunderstanding (and misrepresenting Dinklage’s comments). He wants the dwarven community to be represented as actual people, rather than an fantasy myth, and I get his misgivings here.

He simply points out that if they’re going to be progressive with a Latina Snow White, then why not feature dwarves as human being rather than as these cave dwellers as they’ve been represented as for so long?

Before we question his motives, take a look at him. He himself is a dwarf, so of course he’s going to fight for their portrayal. He has for a long time.
I just don't find it progressive to go back to an old story and simply race swap it. It's regressive as well as lazy. Espcially when the marketing will be gear to it. Progressive would be creating a whole new story for a Latina actress where the race is irrelevant.

Also could have jumped the gun on Dinklage...maybe it was out of context. I'd have to listen.

The trick is not minding
I just don't find it progressive to go back to an old story and simply race swap it. It's regressive as well as lazy. Espcially when the marketing will be gear to it. Progressive would be creating a whole new story for a Latina actress where the race is irrelevant.

Also could have jumped the gun on Dinklage...maybe it was out of context. I'd have to listen.
The charge that it’s “regressive” is a canard. Let’s not kid ourselves here, race is always relevant, regardless of the story, otherwise we wouldn’t be discussing it ad nauseam when ever they decide to cast some one in a traditionally white role.

Do we really hate the idea of a Latina portraying Snow White? Where does it say we can’t imagine her as Latina, or Asian, or any young impressionable girl that this is aimed at?

After all, movies are meant to be inspirational to the point that that little Latina girl may say “Well, if she can be Snow White, then what else can we be?” Imagine that glass ceiling shattering.

Now, that may be a little hyperbolic, but not as much as you may think.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper

But I think when Snow White is a fantasy and has nothing to do with reality. That's like Scanadavian people being mad at how Thor makes them look or something like that... Plus Dinklage himself has played a little person in fantasy movies before, so it's another case of an actor biting off the hand that feeds them.

The trick is not minding
But I think when Snow White is a fantasy and has nothing to do with reality. That's like Scanadavian people being mad at how Thor makes them look or something like that... Plus Dinklage himself has played a little person in fantasy movies before, so it's another case of an actor biting off the hand that feeds them.
And how does that differ from a movie being based on fantasy and not reality?
Dinklage took the roles he was offered because what else would he take? He was limited in what was offered, and what was there wasn’t exactly the best representation of dwarves, and decided to speak up about it. He didn’t just become outspoken about it, either. He has long been vocal. He even stated as much during his audition for Game of Thrones. To which they agreed. This isn’t something as simple as “biting the hand that feeds him”.

A system of cells interlinked
I am sure several people in this thread have strong opinions regarding various political and social schools of thought surrounding this issue, and I understand that certain situations surrounding a film are sort of inextricably linked to politics, but I would ask MoFos in this thread to try to keep this particular discussion focused on the original thread subject as much as possible. What has transpired so far is fine, but let's make a concerted effort to not let this thread devolve into some sort of us-vs-them, anti/pro this stance or that stance snake pit. Historically, at least on this site, these discussions don't tend to end well.

Carry on!

Meanwhile, I will check out the interview, so maybe I will actually know what I am talking about re: Dinklage.