The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I am looking forward to this, but with no small amount of trepidation, mostly due to the source material they are drawing from being IMO the weaker of the Tolkien stuff.

I am looking forward to this, but with no small amount of trepidation, mostly due to the source material they are drawing from being IMO the weaker of the Tolkien stuff.
What are they drawing from?

I guess I can't argue that it's weaker, but I think it's weaker more as a book than as a starting point, if that makes sense. The Silmarillion is a denser read, by design, but the underlying ideas and themes and all that are very creative and interesting and promising. The showrunners here have to fill in more blanks than they did with the films, to be sure, but the overarching stuff is just as good or maybe sometimes better.

Anyway, yeah, very much looking forward to this, even while believing/expecting there's gonna be some dumb elements to it. But the production value is gonna be great, a lot of talented people will be involved, and there's some really potent stuff in the source, so there's tons of potential, even if it ends up kind of uneven taken as a whole.

Ah, sorry Sedai, Yoda answered my question right after I asked you. I haven’t even heard of that text, let alone read it.

I will shut up now and just be the non-intellectual sitting over here in the corner thinking “the shire is pretty, hobbits are cool”.

A system of cells interlinked
I just kept getting the feeling as I watched The Hobbit stuff, that Jackson had sort of broken the mold with the original trilogy. Hopefully this crew manages to recapture some of that same magic...

I will shut up now and just be the non-intellectual sitting over here in the corner thinking “the shire is pretty, hobbits are cool”.
Sorry, I already occupy that corner! I am sure I can find room for some company, though...

Ah, sorry Sedai, Yoda answered my question right after I asked you. I haven’t even heard of that text, let alone read it.

I haven't read it yet, or at least not more than bits and bobs. But yeah it's basically the history of Middle Earth, or even really the universe as it exists. Got a whole creation story and everything.

You ready? You look ready.
The Hobbit was my favorite book growing up, and it still is my favorite. So that bastardized version we got from Jackson felt like a school kid asking for a retest after scoring a 98.

The Hobbit: The Tolkien Edit is the best version, but I've seen the theatrical cuts so many times that I can't stomach watching the graininess of it.

Hopefully, this series doesn't leave an equally sour taste.

EDIT: I have still yet to watch The Hobbit: The Bible Edition, so my opinion might change if that's any better.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Adventure Starts Here!
I now have a bunch of the other Tolkien books (I've had them on my Amazon wishlist and just bought them in hardcover as they cropped up on sale), including: The Fall of Gondolin, Beren and Luthien, The Children of Hurin Narn/Chin Hurin.

Now I just need to find a list of the best order in which to read them (eventually).

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Amazon series and will definitely give it a chance (or two).

Surviving to watch this series, really looking forward to it, one of my weaknessesis is still believing/living in imaginary worlds, people escape to them when they can't see what is for what is. My expectations are low though, the book which it'll be based is hard, the green screen nowadays is over used, everything seems fake. Peter Jackson builded Hobbiton, he planted flowers and let them grow, that's why it's still a tourist attraction, I doubt Amazon producers will go through that effort, people seem to be easily impressed nowadays. Let's wait and see. To accomplish the dedication placed in The Lord of the Rings seems unimaginable to me, I don't know if people are inspired to make such thing. Lord of the Rings was said to be the movie impossible to make.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
and it works as a great 3DsMax Particle Systems plugin avert!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Am I bad for saying that I'm not bothered by this at all?
And this is coming from someone who loved The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
Found The Hobbit trilogy good to ok.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ehhh, I liked the original LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit trilogy was disappointing but still watchable.

I'm not looking forward to this, but I may end up watching it at some time in the unforeseeable future.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

In the Beginning...
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Based on the title, it looks pretty certain the series will introduce Annatar, the Lord of Gifts, and tell the story of how the rings of power are made and given out. After all, we already known Galadriel has been cast and will feature in the series.

WARNING: "The Rings of Power" spoilers below
For those who aren't familiar, Annatar is the Dark Lord Sauron disguised as a hotboi.

Based on the earlier promo image Amazon released, I'm also expecting some kind of opening prologue—similar to the one in Fellowship of the Ring—that explains the war with Morgoth, the destruction of the Trees of Valinor (shown in the image), etc. in order to introduce the Second Age.

I've read the showrunners are sticking close to Peter Jackson's films in terms of look/feel, tone, and aesthetic. That's a comfort. It'll be good to see the new series share some connective tissue with the film trilogy, but still stand on its own with new creators at the helm. My only concern is that they'll fall into the trap of graphic violence and sexual content, which seems to be prevalent in a lot of post-Game of Thrones fantasy/sci-fi shows. I'm cool with it when it's appropriate, but for my tastes it's definitely not appropriate for Middle-earth.

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth's history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness.

Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.