!!! The Godfather-can you help me recall the facts?

Tools    

I want to ask you a few tricky questions about "The Godfather" movie.
The 1st one: Is this movie about an ethnical gangs in New York?
The 2nd one: Is this a movie about italian imigrants and their children in New York and their relations with Sicily?
especially the second one about the sicily, is it true? I watched the movie but I'm not sure if it were "ethnical gangs" and if they were "imigrants"...

PS.:It's about the first part of the trilogy. I'm not sure if these facts were in the first part, because all of the parts in my head got mixed up...

Pls help

1.Yes
2.Yes. Well Vito and most of his generation are Italian Immigrants while. Vito moved to the US when he was a child and his children were born in the US.

Godfather Part II delves into all of this more so i'd watch that.

I want to ask you a few tricky questions about "The Godfather" movie.
The 1st one: Is this movie about an ethnical gangs in New York?
"Ethnical" is a word, but I suspect you meant ethnic? Is The Godfather about ethnic gangs in New York? Yes, though the only ethnicity we see portrayed among the soldiers and leadership of the Corleones or the other Five Families is Italian. The only major character we see involved in the criminal empire who isn't Italian is Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall), who we are told is German-Irish. If there are gangs made up of other ethnicities, we don't see them in The Godfather. Though in the second film one of the main antagonists is Hyman Roth (Lee Strasberg), a Jewish mobster based at least in part on the real-life figure Meyer Lansky.

If somehow you didn't mean ethnic but were going for ethical, I suppose since there is a sort of code of honor and the reason that the other four families go to war against Vito Corleone is that he refuses to let illegal drugs become part of their empire, one could say that in certain limited ways, the Corleones are ethical. They also kill and bribe and intimidate and do many other manners of criminality to keep and grow their empire, so you can't say they are truly ethical. But they are shown to have lines they will not cross, which may cast them as slightly more ethical than the other murderous gangsters they deal with?

Originally Posted by dancingwithwolves
The 2nd one: Is this a movie about Italian [immigrants] and their children in New York and their relations with Sicily?
especially the second one about the sicily, is it true? I watched the movie but I'm not sure if it were "ethnical gangs" and if they were "imigrants"..
I think when you say "the second one" you mean the second question and then the second part of a statement, and not questions about the sequel The Godfather Part II, correct?

The first film, The Godfather, is about Italian immigrants, yes, in that Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) was not born in America. But his sons and daughter are first generation Americans, not immigrants themselves. What you may be remembering is Vito's backstory, which is fleshed out in that first sequel (The Godfather Part II). That film is structured showing young Vito arriving as a child at Ellis Island and then growing to an adult and his initial involvement in criminal schemes. In those sections Vito is played by Robert DeNiro. Almost all of his spoken dialogue is in Italian, and you see his struggle in this new world. Parallel to young Vito's story of rising to power is watching his youngest son Michael (Al Pacino), who ascended to the position of Godfather and head of the crime family by the end of the first film, as he grapples with trying to keep his power.

But all of that is in The Godfather Part II. In the first film Vito's immigrant past is alluded to, but not shown. The character Vito Corleone is from Sicily. In the first film after Michael murders a criminal rival and a corrupt Police Captain who had tried to assassinate Vito, he flees to Sicily to evade retaliation in New York. While in hiding there he meets and falls in love with a Sicilian girl who is killed when enemies are trying to kill Michael. After that, he returns to New York.

In Part II we see some of the activities of Vito's parents in Sicily that cause him to be put on that ship to America by himself, and we also see the adult Vito (DeNiro) return to Sicily to take revenge.

So to answer the original question, yes, in the original film Vito Corleone is an immigrant from Sicily, where Michael goes to hide for a portion of the narrative, and yes Vito's primary concern above all else is his family and his children. As for the richer details of the immigrant experience and more about Sicily, you have to look at The Godfather Part II.

PS.:It's about the first part of the trilogy. I'm not sure if these facts were in the first part, because all of the parts in my head got mixed up...
These two films may be even more intertwined in your memory if you ever saw the chronological re-editing together of either the first two films (which was called "The Godfather Saga" when it aired on TV and later on video) or of all three films (which is called "The Godfather Epic" when shown on TV). The second film especially plays with time in its structure, juxtaposing actions of the young Vito and the ascended Michael, but the "Saga" and "Epic" remove all of that artful juxapositioning and lays the story out in simple a to b to c progression from the 1901 of young Vito in Sicily to 1979 and the goings on in Italy and The Vatican that concludes The Godfather Part III.

Pls help
Hope that helps. Really just go re-watch The Godfather and/or The Godfather Part II. They are two of the greatest films of the 20th Century.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In the first film after Michael murders the head of another rival family and a corrupt Police Captain who had tried to assassinate Vito,
Sorry for nitpicking such a small part when it was most likely a small mistake while typing out such a detailed response. Sollozzo is actually not the head of a family, he's just a drug dealer who starts working with the families particularly the Tattaglia's.

Great post

Wouldn't all of these questions been answered by watching it? Is this for a homework assignment, and you'd just rather not watch the film?
That was my first thought too. If you weren't paying attention i could maybe see you not being sure if Vito was born in Italy or if he was born in America to Italian Immigrants since it doesn't delve into Vito in Sicily til Part II but even that's a stretch, as Holden said it is alluded to multiple times that he was born in Italy for example when Michael is exiled in Sicily it's mentioned a few times that is where Vito is from.

Wow I'm really astonished by your response Holden Pike! Thank you so much, it's really helpfull for me I didn't even expect such a detailed answer. Yes, I meant "ethnic", I just mistyped it and you're right, I wanted to ask for the second question and the second part of the statement. I will gladly watch all of the parts of the Godfather again. But for now I really needed these answers for a project. I can see you're a true fan of the Corleones You should write movie reviews (If you're not already doing it). Thank you again!

Camo - I've already watched all of the parts. It's not a homework. Well I'd gladly watch it as a homework. The truth is that I'm working on a project to get to know America's culture and this is one of 320 questions I have to research, but I'm also eager to know more about these topics I have to answer to. I remember exectly that he is from Italy, I think a 4 years old kid would remember that after watching the movie.

I remember exectly that he is from Italy, I think a 4 years old kid would remember that after watching the movie.
You should type things out better then, your writing is confusing.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Characters like Don Corleone, or Tony Soprano, Vik Mackey etc can all be deeply unethical and highly ethical at the same time.

Yeah I should, but I'm still learning english