Am I the only one here that still buys Blu Rays/DVDs in store?

Tools    

With the rise of Netflix and all other types of online streaming services over the last few years, physical movie sales have taken a hit.

I know the whole drill: it's more convenient, casual movie watchers can search for a movie and have it loaded up in minutes. Yeah, I get that, but I just can't conform.

To me, it takes half the fun out of the whole movie experience. Part of what made me become a fan of films were the trips to the mall, going to the movie store and browsing for a film that caught my eye. Then taking it back and seeing what I had purchased. Yeah, sometimes it turned out it wasn't a great film I picked, but it didn't happen very often and more times than not I would've gotten one I enjoyed. I still do that today.

It just sucks knowing that it's going downhill fast and movie stores like F.Y.E are probably gonna go extinct in the not-too-distant future.

I don't have Netflix, but I have the premium movie channels on my satellite T.V. where I can record movies that come on channels like HBO, Encore, Starz etc. And even on there I only record movies that I have a hard time finding in stores.

I'd like to know if I'm alone on this. Are there still people that still enjoy purchasing films the old fashioned way? Or has the majority conformed to the age of online streaming?

Are there still people that still enjoy purchasing films the old fashioned way?

Or has the majority conformed to the age of online streaming?
My answer is: No...to both questions.

I don't stream as my broadband connection is too slow.
I don't buy DVDs as it would cost me way too much. I watch about 300 films a year and at roughly $10 each, that would be $3000 every single year.

I buy DVDs still...mostly are Criterion or Foreign films I want to own....but yeah I have no problems buying them.

My answer is: No...to both questions.

I don't stream as my broadband connection is too slow.
I don't buy DVDs as it would cost me way too much. I watch about 300 films a year and at roughly $10 each, that would be $3000 every single year.
How do you watch your movies then?

Nope, strike 1.

You got 2 more guesses....

Dang. An extensive Laserdisc collection?

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Nope, strike 1.

You got 2 more guesses....
On TV? If that's not it then I got nothing. :/

Laserdisc...nope.

On TV....nope ( I don't have TV service.)

Neighbors window....ha, but nope, I live in the woods, I can't see the neighbors house.

Netflix...yes, that's 1 way. I have 2 others (and no fair guessing MG I probably all ready told you in a PM)

Redbox...nope.

Oh you can have more guesses, it's really not a trick.

Netflix...yes, that's 1 way. I have 2 others (and no fair guessing MG I probably all ready told you in a PM)
you did...

but I dont know the other two ways...

Oh man, I didn't even think it's was much of a challenge.

I'm going to have to give one prize to MovieGal for guessing Netflix correctly. There's still two more awards up for grabs.

MovieGal

Oh man, I didn't even think it's was much of a challenge.

I'm going to have to give one prize to MovieGal for guessing Netflix correctly. There's still two more awards up for grabs.

MovieGal

You are a goof!

I don't stream films or television series and never will while the physical formats and cinemas are still around. So yes, I still go out buying DVDs and blu-rays and also buy online.

Netflix films are way less than $10 each.
His other option must be a lot more expensive. hell you could buy a lot of DVDs for that!!

Not sure why he said DVDs are way out of his price range.

With Netflix, you pay a monthly fee. It depends on how many you want to receive a month. I have Netflix streaming and its like $12 a month as is Hulu streaming.

Amazon Prime streaming is $90 a year I believe.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I gave up buying movies when I realized I never watched them again. That said, if I wanted one I would buy the br over a download. I have a hard time spending money on something that exists in the ether, when there is a physical alternative.

In a worst case scenario, I would like to be able to sell off my stuff if I needed to. I don't know if it applies to movies, but I buy all of my music from Amazon exclusively. For the price of a cd, I get the download also. Stacks and stacks of unopened cds.