Difference between a 2GB 1080p and a 15GB 1080p file?

Tools    

Will there be a noticeable difference between a 1080p 2gb movie (roughly 2000 kbps) and a 1080p 15gb movie (roughly 16 mbps)?

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll be watching it on a 40" 1080p TV. Also, I know that kb/mbps are units of transfer speed, but they usually affect how good the movie looks, right?

By itself, no, it shouldn't. The only reason it's sometimes mentioned in relation to quality is because places that stream movies will adjust the quality based on your connection speed, under the assumption that you'd rather lose quality than have the stream stop altogether. But if you're talking about playing a file, rather than streaming it, I can't imagine where transfer speed would come into it.

I suppose I could be wrong; any home theater experts can correct me if I am.

A system of cells interlinked
Sounds like something that would need to be set up and tested empirically - just see what looks best using the two formats in question.

Might try a home theater forum, as well.

Yoda, since the 2gb version is much more compressed than the 15gb one, would I not encounter the same situation as with streaming (lower size at the expense of quality)?

Sedai, I was kind of hoping to not have to do that since others might have already done it...

Mesmerized: lol, you don't say? :P

Will there be a noticeable difference between a 1080p 2gb movie (roughly 2000 kbps) and a 1080p 15gb movie (roughly 16 mbps)?
I'm assuming you're talking about actual files and not streaming and it's the same movie? Then yeah, there's a huge difference. It's not transfer speed. It's the number of bits processed per second that can be displayed on your screen. Obviously the higher the better. 2000 Kbps isn't even able to adequately produce HD image quality so it's really just like SD blown up to a 1080p resolution. There's no exact amount of bitrate that a movie requires to be as transparent to the source as possible at that resolution, but it's definitely a lot more than 2000 Kbps. Maybe certain animated films could pull it off but not likely. Play them both side by side and you'll see the difference. There's compromise and then there's compromise. I don't know what witchcraft was involved in encoding a movie in 1080p yet only giving it 2000 Kbps.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
since the 2gb version is much more compressed than the 15gb one, would I not encounter the same situation as with streaming (lower size at the expense of quality)?
The quality of streaming videos is largely dependent on your Internet connection speed, Hi Speed vs. dial-up. The faster the connection, the better the quality of the source material being streamed.

If you're talking about blu-ray rips, then the bigger the file the better. x264 codec maintains a good bit rate under compression, thats why scene rippers use it. I generally download 10-12gb rips: perfect 1080p quality on a big TV.

You do know that the "The Scene" is colloquial term for the community of TV/blu-ray rippers, right?
The scene that was stuck using xvid for SD for years because of their stupid, archaic rules despite x264 being far superior? The same ones that compresses to fixed sizes like 4.37GB so that they fit on DVD5s even though nobody uses DVD as storage anymore?

It's not the term for the community. It's a term for a specific community. My question was more in regards to you using the scene as an example in a discussion about quality. I am a big fan of the scene and what they do, but that's when I want something fast out of the gate and am not concerned too much about quality.

Sorry for late response! Harry Lime: Thanks for your input. YIFY Torrents' 1080p's are ~2GB. The Sci-Fi Slob: Yeah, I'm trying to compare Blu-Ray rips. Do you have any suggestions for sites to get 10-12gb rips?

Yify is garbage. Really, it's banned on a lot of the sites I'm on because of reasons I listed above.

No suggestions are allowed on these forums, eivom. We can discuss file sharing but we can't provide a means or information on how or where to get shared files.

The scene that was stuck using xvid for SD for years because of their stupid, archaic rules despite x264 being far superior? The same ones that compresses to fixed sizes like 4.37GB so that they fit on DVD5s even though nobody uses DVD as storage anymore?
The same scene that risks prison time to bring rips to people who winge about minor quality problems and video codecs.

The same scene that risks prison time to bring rips to people who winge about minor quality problems and video codecs.
The same scene who state in their rules that their files are not to be uploaded to any torrent sites. The same scene that charges people for access to their ftp sites deserve the hightened risk compared to those who do it all for free, and do it better. Anyone with a little bit of knowledge is well aware these have never been minor quality problems.

But I digress, like I said before the main reason for my incredulity above was due to the fact that quality and scene used in the same sentence is quite funny. And like I said I'm a fan of the scene and what they do, it's good for that quick fix but not archival.