Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vs Charmed

Tools    

Which TV Series do you prefer, which one is better? Vote on https://www.misterpoll.com/polls/631671

Both Series started in the late 90s and share some similarities. Discuss.

That's not even a contest. Buffy, every day of the week and that is before bringing the spin-off Angel into the equation. Yes, it started out super cheesy, but by the second season it was starting to really hit it's stride.

Along the way it:-

• Broke stereotypes. From the very first episode, even the first 5 minutes it made a statement of intent, of strong female characters, not just the titular character of Buffy, and this remained true throughout, to the very end.
  • Provided a strong female badass heroine who was also a relatable character, which was near enough unheard of at the time.
  • Utilized season long storyarcs at a time when the norm was for tv programmes to be very much an episodic basis, with little carrying over from one to the next.
  • Featured one of the first same-sex relationships on TV that wasn't just a one-off episode sort of thing, but a major prominant relationship that evolved over a number of seasons
  • Was not afraid to take chances, which was pretty rare for the time in what it would handle and try to do. Don't want to go into spoilers about specific episodes, but just to name a few episodes to illustrate this - Hush, The Body, Once More With Feeling & Earshot come intstantly to mind.
  • was cheesy fun, supernatural and terrifyingly creepy at times and absolutely pioneering in so many ways.
  • Inspired a new wave of tv programmes during it's run, including but not limited to Dark Angel, Alias, Dawson's Creek, Veronica Mars & Lost to name but a few, let alone since.
  • Not to mention without Buffy there is no Charmed. End of.
Some of these may not be obvious looking back at it now, but at the time it was groundbreaking in so many ways.

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that TV as we know it now is essentially thanks to 3 shows.

The Sopranos changed how tv shows are made, but Buffy changed how the stories are told. And there is a good argument to be made in support of this.

And then there is Survivor, and all the unscripted drama & reality shows that followed in it's wake, but that is a different discussion.

It deserves it's place as one of the most innovative and progressive shows that have evolved TV since it's inception, alongside shows like MASH or Twin Peaks.

That's a hell of a legacy.

Hi!
Excellent share!

Thank you!!

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that TV as we know it now is essentially thanks to 3 shows.

The Sopranos changed how tv shows are made, but Buffy changed how the stories are told. And there is a good argument to be made in support of this.

And then there is Survivor, and all the unscripted drama & reality shows that followed in it's wake, but that is a different discussion.

It deserves it's place as one of the most innovative and progressive shows that have evolved TV since it's inception, alongside shows like MASH or Twin Peaks.

That's a hell of a legacy.
Survivor? Yes it changed TV for the worse.

I think Twin Peaks is the most influential (American) Series and changed TV the most. Arthouse TV at it's best and still remains the most innovative US TV Series till today.

Plus I agree what you wrote about Buffy.

Survivor? Yes it changed TV for the worse.

I think Twin Peaks is the most influential (American) Series and changed TV the most. Arthouse TV at it's best and still remains the most innovative US TV Series till today.

Plus I agree what you wrote about Buffy.
No question about Twin Peaks, totally agree, and it is one of my all time favourite shows... well, pretty much everything David Lynch has turned his hand to. However, many of the innovations that Twin Peaks introduced went largely ignored for the better part of a decade (which is forever in TV terms) til the likes of Buffy and Sopranos took up the mantle and took the next step, leading to a much more immediate effect on the TV landscape, with a plethora of other shows follow in their wake.

As for Survivor, I did say that was a different discussion. For what it's worth I actually quite like Survivor, and even though it's not as good now as it once was, is still something of a guilty pleasure that has stayed with me for 20 years now.

However, that is not why it is included here. Like it or hate it, it changed the TV landscape and generally would agree for the worse, opening the floodgates with the influx of 'reality' and unscripted drama shows that it both inspired or networks and production companies felt that could be capitalized on and have continued to do so ever since.

No question about Twin Peaks, totally agree, and it is one of my all time favourite shows... well, pretty much everything David Lynch has turned his hand to. However, many of the innovations that Twin Peaks introduced went largely ignored for the better part of a decade (which is forever in TV terms) til the likes of Buffy and Sopranos took up the mantle and took the next step, leading to a much more immediate effect on the TV landscape, with a plethora of other shows follow in their wake.

As for Survivor, I did say that was a different discussion. For what it's worth I actually quite like Survivor, and even though it's not as good now as it once was, is still something of a guilty pleasure that has stayed with me for 20 years now.

However, that is not why it is included here. Like it or hate it, it changed the TV landscape and generally would agree for the worse, opening the floodgates with the influx of 'reality' and unscripted drama shows that it both inspired or networks and production companies felt that could be capitalized on and have continued to do so ever since.
I know what you mean, but I wouldn't say it was ignored half the decade as there followed essential (also foreign) Series like Northern Expsoure, The X-Files, Riget, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and even Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Sopranos are influenced by it. Here an matching article: https://www.looper.com/166157/how-tw...o-one-noticed/