Guaporense top 100 albums (2019 edition)

Tools    

65. Sarcofago - INRI (1987)

One of our national treasures is this album. It is basically black metal before black metal came into being as well know it in Norway in the early 90s (with Blaze in the North Sky). As influential as Bathory's release from the same year but more catchy and entertaining.

64. Lost Horizon-Awakening the World(2001)

In their super melodramatic style they descend upon the earth! The greatest power metal band from Sweden, LOST f*k*ng HORIZON and their glorious debut! Think manowar but good!

63. Mayhem -*De Mysteriis dom Sathanas (1994)

The eternal classic of black metal, perhaps the quintessential album of the genre is this one. Cold as the north pole and more evil than hell itself.

62. Exumer-Possessed by Fire*(1986)

One of the PUREST thrash metal ever is Exumer's Possessed by Fire. An all-round excellent slab of headbanging yet highly entertaining material.

61. Mozart - 41st Symphony

Mozart's last symphony is also my favorite of his. Of course, it is the one generally regarded as his best and from the set of symphonies I heard from him I agree. Mozart's style is rather robotic and formalistic but it works brilliantly here.

61. Mozart - 41st Symphony

Mozart's last symphony is also my favorite of his. Of course, it is the one generally regarded as his best and from the set of symphonies I heard from him I agree. Mozart's style is rather robotic and formalistic but it works brilliantly here.
Mozart 41 is truly amazing, especially the last movement... I disagree that Mozart is robotic and formalistic, I think he is a very heartfelt and emotional composer. However, I'm so happy to see this piece on your list. What's your favorite recording of it?

71. Overkill*-*The Years of Decay*(1989)

Overkill is perhaps the ultimate "classic" thrash band: they rock HARD and are a great band live. It's true that their sound is relatively "unsophisticated" compared to say Slayer or Kreator, but they rule and this album shows that with flying colors one of the best thrash metal albums of all time.
I haven't heard this album in about 25 years but I can still remember almost all the lyrics to I Hate and Elimination. Really good album all the way through, from what I remember, but it somehow fell through the cracks when I updated from cassette to cd.

A system of cells interlinked
67. W.A.S.P.*-*The Crimson Idol*(1992)

Ze classic. The Crimson Idol is regarded by many as the best traditional heavy metal album of the New World, I agree. The atmosphere of this album is rather unique and unforgettable.
I have been listening to this a lot lately. Definitely one of the best from the traditional genre.

Mozart 41 is truly amazing, especially the last movement... I disagree that Mozart is robotic and formalistic, I think he is a very heartfelt and emotional composer. However, I'm so happy to see this piece on your list. What's your favorite recording of it?
I rate it based on this recent recording, as I listened to it when I wrote down this top 100 list: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...-39-40-and-41/

I used the terms "robotic" and "formalistic" when contrasting it with other classical composers who I find to be more "free" or unconstrained. It is not a bad thing though as I rated Mozart's 41th higher than the symphonies of Schubert's or Brahm's I know.

I haven't heard this album in about 25 years but I can still remember almost all the lyrics to I Hate and Elimination. Really good album all the way through, from what I remember, but it somehow fell through the cracks when I updated from cassette to cd.
Its a must for any fan of thrash metal since it is one of the best "traditional" (non-extreme) thrash albums.

59. Accept - Russian Roulette (1986)

Yeah! ACCEPT! The greatest traditional heavy metal band from Germany and this is their zenith, combining catchy heavy metal with a higher degree of melodic depth.

58. Slayer - Show no Mercy (1983)

The first of Slayer's masterpieces. While most people cite Reign in Blood in fact I believe this album is superior as it is an early thrash metal record that incorporates a lot of Iron Maiden-style sense of melody that was lost later on when Slayer focused on uncompromising brutality.

By the way, this cover perfectly describes the album.

57. Emperor - The Nightside Eclipse (1994)

Despite their crappy later albums, Emperor's The Nightside Eclipse remains one of the ultimate classic black metal albums. Producing a super atmospheric black metal by incorporating symphonic elements.

I rate it based on this recent recording, as I listened to it when I wrote down this top 100 list: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...-39-40-and-41/

I used the terms "robotic" and "formalistic" when contrasting it with other classical composers who I find to be more "free" or unconstrained. It is not a bad thing though as I rated Mozart's 41th higher than the symphonies of Schubert's or Brahm's I know.
I'd agree on the Schubert part, not so much Brahms. Schubert is a bit of a formalistic composer, structure-wise, especially in the symphonies. Brahms, I think, has overall higher quality symphonies than Mozart, although he only wrote 4 and Mozart wrote 41. Brahms's Symphony No. 4 is one of the all-time greatest pieces, and the other three are magnificent as well. I think Brahms is one of the only composer who really never wrote a "flop" of a symphony. With Mozart and Haydn there were tons of filler symphonies, with Beethoven there was the 2nd and the 4th, with Schubert all except 8 and 9, with Shostakovich 2 and 3, with Mahler 7 and 8, with Schumann 2, with Prokofiev 3 and 4, with Vaughan Williams the last couple, and so on.

Sorry for going on and on, it's just that classical music is a topic I guess I'm obssessed with.

56. King Diamond - Conspiracy (1989)

The Eye was not the last King Diamond album to show up on this list. I have concluded that Conspiracy is also one of his most excellent albums. Although it is hard to choose among his albums because they are almost always consistently great all-around (King Diamond being perhaps the second most consistently great band in heavy metal after Iron Maiden). Overall this is an essential horror-themed concept album featuring some of the best songwriting in King Diamond.

55. Ensiferum - Victory Songs (2007)

The epicness! The music is exactly described by the cover and it rules! What can I say? This is classic Ensiferum, the best band to release their debut album in the 21st century.

54. Bathory - Nordland I (2002)

Oh, the epicness of this! Isn't this getting a bit repetitive? well, I have my taste and to satisfy my taste in music the most effective way is to achieve what this album does which is epic viking metal. Yes, I do rate this higher than Bathory's classic black metal albums, I guess I prefer their more mature melodic offerings. Well, Bathory is Bathory, perhaps the greatest metal band since the big 3 of Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

53. Dissection - The Somberlain (1993)

Oh yeah, the mighty! The Somberlain! Dissection's debut is certainly a classic, a perfect blend of black metal with melody*, yes, I do indeed rate it higher than Emperor's debut. Dissection rules (or used too back in the 1990s)! By the way, this music was composed by a person between the ages of 14 to 17.

*Some people say this is a melodeath album, I think "what? this is supposed to be like In Flames?, no...."

52. Beethoven - 7th Symphony

Uncle Beetho's 7th Symphony remains one of my favorites. Watch out for the 2nd movement, its like the most dramatic thing in music before Iron Maiden. Beethoven was truly godlike, not a mere mortal indeed.

51. Iron Savior - Iron Savior (1997)

Iron Savior's debut. I consider Iron Savior the most perfect sounding music, ever. Their compositions are nothing really special but the quality of the SOUNDS is amazing. It is a perfect balance between heaviness and melody. It is not too fancy, not minimalistic but not dissonant. It is almost a generic heavy metal sound, of the likes somebody who wants to parody the genre would make.

And their debut, with the genius of Kai Hansen added, is indeed a masterpiece. Later albums have been much inferior.