Television Tab

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”

★★
Some good episodes!
The "Side quests" are bad.

★★★★
Very good. The major problem is the future...
Netflix always fcks up.

That version of Dracula is a strange beast. The first thing I'd say is that if you don't like Mark Gatiss or Stephen Moffat, then avoid at all costs.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Dr. Who and I think I only ever watched one episode of their Sherlock so I suppose it's fair to say that I don't really like their work (Dracula included).

If you're a fan of vampire films/lore then there's plenty of things that are there so you can feel clever by spotting them. Which, lets be honest, is kind of nice and it feels even better if the things you're noticing are from things you love anyway.
I'm a vampire fan, I guess, but I don't particularly enjoy this sort of reference spotting. All I wanted from this adaptation was that it would be an interesting adaptation of a familiar story.

However, this isn't Dracula as any of us know it and if that's what you're looking for this is going to disappoint greatly, IMO. It wasn't until I changed my expectations it that I started to enjoy it.
I don't mind new interpretations per se and being different wasn't exactly my issue. I just felt it was extremely poorly done (based on that 40 minutes and some I saw). The frame story with the nuns felt totally pointless (except to gender swap "van Helsing", I suppose), it was full of the usual BBC politics (homosexual references, feminism, entitled Brits, generic disdain to Western culture, etc.) that felt completely out of place, it looked ugly and was filled with laughably bad "witty" dialogue.

I don't know how it's being shown on Netflix but on the BBC it was shown in three 90 minutes episodes, though I'd guess that elsewhere (but probably not on a streaming service) it'll be six forty-five minute episodes.
It's the same 3 x 90 minutes on Netflix too.

Season 7 was brilliant. Amazing how prescient the show is: “high crimes & misdemeanors”, impeachment of the President, Russian interference in America’s election, air strikes against Syria, etc. Just a few of the topics that arose this season.

Next month the 8th & final season will air.

It’s been a great ride with Claire Danes.

The truth is in here
Scrubs - My First Day

J.D. is excited to start his first day at Sacred Heart teaching hospital, prepared to go in there and be the best doctor he possibly could. But as he arrives he discovers it's a very challenging job, and struggles to find his place in the giant puzzle.

This is a very strong start to the classic sitcom. Zach Braff guides us through the new surroundings and characters with ease, letting us hear his own personal thoughts along the way. This could easily become annoying, but actually suits the tone of the show quite well. You really get a sense of the immense pressure to perform and impress that he feels inside. Both when it comes to his work and meeting other people. His best friend Turk works at the same place, but they have different work areas, so he can't be there to help him much.

The funniest lines easily go to Dr. Cox. Both the attitude and tone of his voice makes almost anything he says funny in the best, most absurd way possible. Don't let his superiority complex deceive you though, he's actually a good guy underneath. When J.D. faces his first really critical challenge, Cox gives him the confidence boost needed to get started. Bob Kelso also made me laugh a few times. "Have a ball... on call! A little poem for you." is like something a corny school teacher would say to get you motivated. The twist where he lashes out as J.D. asks him if he can skip an assignment is pretty cleverly done. He's been so nice up until this point you don't even realize it was foreshadowed earlier when Cox compared him to Satan himself.

There's a sad moment near the end when J.D. realizes one of his patients is dead, without even being informed of it beforehand. "The hardest part is how quickly you have to move on". Even if you become the best doctor around, you still have to get used to all the hardships that come with it. Turk comes to check on J.D. to make sure he's doing okay, and admits in the process he was pretending earlier about how easy it was for him. In fact, he's just as anxious as he is. Turk telling J.D. he loves him is adorable, even though he giggles afterwards. I think he meant it in all sincerity, but doesn't feel secure enough to be honest about it.

J.D. gets interested in a fellow medical intern called Elliot, who always tries to one-up him on everything. Elliot as a character is cockier than I remembered, but still pretty funny. I like when she tricks J.D. into thinking she doesn't know the answer on a question and then comes flying out of the gate with it seconds later. Just like Dr. Cox she also does have a heart beyond it all, which shows when she apologizes to J.D. at the end for being such a jerk all day. The moment where she essentially slutshamed Carla was a little odd, but it was saved by her great defensive comeback.

Overall, the pilot has convinced me to give the series another chance.

3rd or 4th re-watch of this amazing HBO show. Why it wasn’t renewed for a 3rd season 7 years ago is beyond me.

Legend in my own mind
Started watching 'The Witcher'. Haven't played the games or read the books.2 episodes in and one good fight scene aside, it is poor. Does it get better?

Legend in my own mind

Wisting (BBC 4)

Love a decent bit of Scandi noir, and this is another superb offering.

Started watching 'The Witcher'. Haven't played the games or read the books.2 episodes in and one good fight scene aside, it is poor. Does it get better?
Yeah, a bit. Less confusing. The Yennefer stuff is really good. There's a thread on here about it but browse cautiously since there's some spoilery talk (though not a ton).

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Agree with Yoda. It gets better in places but I think GoT standards are way too high so YMMV. It is at least good enough for background noise while doing other things and considering there isn't much else (that I'm aware of at least) that fits this niche, it's perfectly OK with one really bad episode near the end

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Love a decent bit of Scandi noir, and this is another superb offering.[/center]
Me too. Scandinavians are terrific actors & always impressed by their command of English. Never heard of this, but will check it out.

Watched this anime show for the 8th time last week. Truly phenomenal and I still think it is perhaps the best animation ever made, even compared to any Miyazaki movie. The reason is that despite being a commercial product that is superbly well made it does not make any concessions regarding the tragic natural of its plot and accessibility for its audiences, and the self seriousness it can engage it's own drama. It is subversive on multiple levels: it subverts gender roles, aesthetic standards, narrative rules, writing style: it lacks any subtetly in its writing and is uncompromising in doing so.

I think Wisting is a typical Scandinavian police procedural: depressing, humorless, and solidly PC. Yet the production quality, acting, and to some extent the story line, have held our interest through the series. We have 2 eps left, but are not expecting anything earth shaking.

It may have been something of a coup to get Carrie-Anne Moss (Matrix, etc.) in the series as a secondary player. And she does play a good bee-itch, but otherwise she doesn't really fit. And would a large Nordic police department more or less give complete authority over to the American FBI? But the story has mostly switched to problems that Wisting himself is having.

I like that guy Kim Bodnia ("Martin") from the Bron series. I'd love to see him have his own series.

~Doc

⬆️ Been a HUGE fan of Kim Bodnia from the days of the Pusher trilogy. Wonderful in Bron & also very good in the current Killing Eve

Binge watched Project Blue Book up to date. It's kind of OK sci-fi with very obvious The X-Files vibes. Not as interesting characters as Mulder and Scully though. I'm also worried that "based on real cases" means that nothing's gonna happen in the show except endless cases that turn out to be hoaxes with tiny little hints, that lead nowhere, of true aliens scattered every episode. Will continue watching at least for now.

Just finished season 1. Seen snippets in the past, but that’s all.

Very funny & well-acted, but the sets are very dated & clunky, which I dislike. One season is gonna be enough for me.

Amazing that 50 years later America still has the exact same problems.

I watched the first five episode of that, @Stirchley and while it was watchable, it just didn't work for me and those episodes were more than enough. That said, this was the first time I'd ever seen an episode (so I was completely unfamiliar with it) and I was constantly comparing it to the original, which I love.