Tiger King : Murder, Mayhem and Madness (Netflix)

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I must be mismembering

They made such a deal out of Joe Exotic's studio catching fire and that was where all of Kirkham's footage (supposedly) was as well. So this was extra footage that wasn't in a studio where all the footage burned?

I can't see Joe Exotic volunteering his own footage to be used in a documentary that paints him in such a poor light. If so, I don't think he would offer it without a "final cut" clause.
Apologies that I forgot the reality footage was burned in the fire. My bad!

But in an early episode they DID say that Joe liked to film everything at the zoo. His "studio" was, I assumed, a recording studio for his songs/videos, and not necessarily where random footage was kept.

Also, if you get any sense of Exotic at all, it's that he craves attention. I could EASILY see him saying yes to any documentary about himself, since he seemed oblivious up till the end that he might be seen in a bad light.

Yeah, that was my understanding, they said something early on about how he filmed everything.

I also wonder if maybe they exaggerated the fire stuff, IE: it was just a lot of the footage and maybe not all of it. Maybe it was hyperbole?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, that was my understanding, they said something early on about how he filmed everything.

I also wonder if maybe they exaggerated the fire stuff, IE: it was just a lot of the footage and maybe not all of it. Maybe it was hyperbole?
HYPERBOLE? THAT SHOW?

Surely you jest.

Account terminated on request
I'm not sure I want to get sucked into the mayhem of it all.

Any thoughts on whether it's worthwhile?

I think the last documentary I saw was Leaving Neverland (excellent), but I'm normally not so much a documentary guy.

Just curious....If I start it, I might dump it prematurely out of boredom and if you guys say it's worthwhile, I'll know to stick it out.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

It's very, very interesting and very well put-together.

Basically, start the first episode. If the first 10 minutes interest you, the whole thing probably will.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
This is one of the biggest pop-culture zeitgeist phenomena things I can remember. It's trashy, sad and has very little if any redeeming qualities. Just like everything else on t.v.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

That was quick.

Hate you, Jeff.

I'm pretty sensitive to footage of mistreated animals, though, and I haven't found it difficult to watch on that front. No examples just being killed or made to overtly suffer or anything like that, that I can recall.
Good. That was my biggest worry. I just found out now that the Andromeda Strain didn't kill the monkey and thinking that had totally ruined the film for me all of these years. In a documentary, I know there isn't any movie magic, so if there's an ounce of cruelty in it, I'm not going to see it.

Any thoughts on whether it's worthwhile?

I think the last documentary I saw was Leaving Neverland (excellent), but I'm normally not so much a documentary guy.
The only way to know if you'll like it is to give it a try.

That said, I don't much care for documentaries either. However, I was off work on Friday and decided to just watch the first episode and see how it was. I ended up watching the entire show in one sitting.

Yeah, it's very plausible to not like most documentaries but love this, since the reasons a lot of people don't like documentaries don't necessarily apply here.

But it really is a perfect test to just watch the first 10-15 minutes of the first episode. You'll know right away.

That was quick.

Hate you, Jeff.
LOL. I saw the post that was axed by a mod (@Yoda?)

There a back story here I missed?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The only way to know if you'll like it is to give it a try.

That said, I don't much care for documentaries either. However, I was off work on Friday and decided to just watch the first episode and see how it was. I ended up watching the entire show in one sitting.
For some reason I didn't think you'd like this.

I only saw one episode so far.

I saw one full episode last night. Still in the meh category (for me). I'll try #2 with an open mind.

BTW, I can't stand one of the BS points JE made in a video. Not because it's the worst thing he's done, but because it's the kind of thing that unthinking hicks would fall for as an argument:

WARNING: "Tiger King" spoilers below

There's a counter video he made where he shows a large cat getting a drink of water and it says something like "See! Look at the small cage she puts them in!"

Guys, it was a feeding alcove.

It's common practice when trying to control the health of wild animals to have the feeding time be tightly controlled in protected quarters. The last thing in the world you want is for the law of the Jungle thing to kick in.

@tgm1024

As much as I dislike Joe Exotic, I actually have to agree with him that the enclosures that many of the cats at Big Cat Rescue are kept in are too small. I used to sometimes watch BCR's youtube channel - long before I knew who Joe Exotic is - but I stopped because I was bothered by the size of the enclosures.