A Personal Journey with The Gunslinger45 through the Movies: A Top 50+

→ in
Tools    

After first stumbling across this forum, I spent quite some time browsing some of the 100-Favorite-Films lists that the members have accumulated. It was those lists that kept me coming back. It's one thing to post pictures from a movie or write a quick synopsis, but what I enjoy the most is when a person takes the time to explain why so-and-so movie is one of his or her favorites.

Watching movies is a very personal thing. What speaks to you isn't necessarily what speaks to me, and vice-versa. This list is proof of that. You identify with some of these films because of your religion, others because they represent a nostalgic memory, and some films just appeal to you because of your perverse sense of humor.

But it's because of lists like yours, Gunslinger, that I'm glad I discovered this forum and decided to become a member. Our tastes in film is very, very different, but I enjoyed reading your personal reasons for why you identify with these films. So I want to thank you for taking the time to assemble the list and expose that tiny bit of yourself that each of these films represent. Nice job.

After first stumbling across this forum, I spent quite some time browsing some of the 100-Favorite-Films lists that the members have accumulated. It was those lists that kept me coming back. It's one thing to post pictures from a movie or write a quick synopsis, but what I enjoy the most is when a person takes the time to explain why so-and-so movie is one of his or her favorites.

Watching movies is a very personal thing. What speaks to you isn't necessarily what speaks to me, and vice-versa. This list is proof of that. You identify with some of these films because of your religion, others because they represent a nostalgic memory, and some films just appeal to you because of your perverse sense of humor.

But it's because of lists like yours, Gunslinger, that I'm glad I discovered this forum and decided to become a member. Our tastes in film is very, very different, but I enjoyed reading your personal reasons for why you identify with these films. So I want to thank you for taking the time to assemble the list and expose that tiny bit of yourself that each of these films represent. Nice job.
Glad you liked it. Welcome to the forums.

BTW JayDee, can ya hook me up with putting this with the rest of the top 50's / 100's please?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Good God, where does Guap take these statistics from?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Great work with this, I really like the descriptions of watching these movies

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think most of it comes from the Spike Jonze flick Being Guaporense.

Blue Velvet and Temple of Doom are awesome and I especially love Taxi Driver. I have to see Dr. Strangelove again; I was half asleep when I watched it a few months ago. I saw Red Dawn at the movies, but I don't remember it. I'd like to try it again. I just got The Avengers from the library about 20 minutes ago and will watch it tomorrow.

Great list bud!

Blue Velvet and Temple of Doom are awesome and I especially love Taxi Driver. I have to see Dr. Strangelove again; I was half asleep when I watched it a few months ago. I saw Red Dawn at the movies, but I don't remember it. I'd like to try it again. I just got The Avengers from the library about 20 minutes ago and will watch it tomorrow.

Great list bud!
Thanks dude!

I think most of it comes from the Spike Jonze flick Being Guaporense.
Guaporense, Guaporense, Guaporense, Guaporense, Guaporense, Guaporense

It's an excellent thread, GS. As others have already said, you've obviously put a lot of thought into it and spent a lot of time on it and it's all paid off. Congratulations.

The only think I would say is that, while Milius did write the USS Indianapolis speech, it's Shaw's rewritten version which appears in the film.

It's an excellent thread, GS. As others have already said, you've obviously put a lot of thought into it and spent a lot of time on it and it's all paid off. Congratulations.

The only think I would say is that, while Milius did write the USS Indianapolis speech, it's Shaw's rewritten version which appears in the film.
Wasn't Shaw's rewritten speech mostly a shortened version of Milius' stuff?

From the internet. Duh!

The 133 animated films screened in Japan in 2006 comes from a document from a Japanese association in the animation industry, the 18 movies figure for the US is roughly the average number of films that can be indicated to the best animation Oscar in a given year, both figures include foreign films (though in the case of Japan, the number of foreign films is probably less than 10, in the US, less than 5-6, yielding a domestic output of 125 in Japan compared to 12-13 in the US, according to wikipedia, France also produced 10 animated feature length films in 2010).

The per capita ticket sales I got from a blog post in a place I forgot, but it shows that the US, UK and Australia are much more into movies than in continental Europe and Japan, currently (4 tickets per person sold per year in US and Australia versus 2.5 in France and Germany and 1.5 in Japan). Which helps to explain the dominance of English speaking films: the English speaking countries are proportionally the largest markets as well, even though per capita ticket sales in the US now are way lower than they were in the 1950's.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ah, the love for the movies and the passion they bring out of us ALWAYS makes for great review/list readings

ya done nailed it, gunslinger!! BRAVO
DAMN fine list, my friend!

I've only just read all your list Gunslinger. Good work. Enjoyed reading your reviews. I always like reading reviews where the films mean something special to a person, most often those which we've seen as kids, so I liked reading about your childhood Disney favourites