What is the most boring movie ever made?

Tools    

Sully is an interesting pick... and I have to agree. I was really looking forward to that movie, but somehow they took a really exciting event (a literal miracle) and reduced it down to a slow moving film about a hearing.
Sully most be boring as I had to go look it up to remember even watching it.

Star Wars the Last Jedi
Gawd! that film was boring. Silly video game style fighting in lieu of any real character development and the only narrative theme is milking an old franchise.

To the list of boring films I'll add all those Marvel and MCU films...please just stop making them!

My Dinner With Andre - It's a 1981 movie that I got dragged to when it was being re-run in a pretentious "Art Film" theater because it was profound. Two guys sit and talk about stuff. That's it. I actually finished the movie, because I was kinda stuck there and didn't want to see not-erudite, like I didn't know how to live in pretentious cultures in New York.

My Dinner With Andre(Well, you got my attention. I like this movie a lot) - It's a 1981 movie that I got dragged to when it was being re-run in a pretentious "Art Film" theater (I love an art house theater.) because it was profound. Two guys sit and talk about stuff. (Yes, this is its charm. Two theater nerds get together and catch up on stuff.) That's it. I actually finished the movie, because I was kinda stuck there and didn't want to see not-erudite, like I didn't know how to live in pretentious cultures in New York.

So you don't like talky pictures. Fair enough.

Sully is an interesting pick... and I have to agree. I was really looking forward to that movie, but somehow they took a really exciting event (a literal miracle) and reduced it down to a slow moving film about a hearing.
I like the film. It's a classic "hero on trial for heroism" story.

It pairs well with Flight, which as an inversion of the story. Denzel's plane even flies inverted (keeping up diplomatic relations, sir). Can Sully really be a hero when "on paper" and "in the sim" other pilots could do better? Can Whip really be a villain when "on paper" and "in the sim" no other pilots could match his skills (even when under the influence)?

I think the last post is a leading candidate. Anyone who paid to see that, definitely got what they paid for...

A distinction here needs to be marked between a slow film and a boring film. I've watched boring action films with non-stop speed (e.g., The Matrix sequels). I've also watched slow-burns which build steadily and build anticipation and suspense masterfully. A slow film can be quite and engaging. A fast film can be quite boring. I think some people here have short attention spans and confuse slow with boring.

Enemy Mine, huh? I always liked this movie and never thought of it as boring.
It's got a few action sequences, but to me, those were my least favorite parts - I was more into the character study and evolving relationship between the two characters as it moves from deadly distrust to friendship.
All I remember now is a guy and a lizardman sitting around in the rocks on a Mars-like planet, to someone as young as I was there wasn't much there to enjoy.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was a bore fest and all the characters were so dislikable, a good contender for boringest movie ever.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Isn't that just the 1h cut looped 8 times? Stop giving me hope they unearthed the actual 8 hour-long cut.

Or maybe Eric Doeringer's 2012 remake.

Doubt it's the actual Andy Warhol film, though.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Difficult to say really. I seem to be the opposite of most people in terms of defining a 'boring' movie.

Personally I found these films incredibly boring because they are monotonous. They feature the same type of thing over and over again. And if that thing is something that bores the viewer, you're going to lose out. Normally it's repeated action scenes / fighting / battles / quick editing. My brain finds them incredibly boring, especially when the set pieces aren't that technically impressive and are just laden with CGI instead of clever crew work. I'm also a fan of slow cinema (Weraseethakul / Bi Gan / Tsai Ming-liang) so typical slow films don't bother me in the slightest. I fully expect some people to claim I'm trying to be contrary / controversial just for the sake of it. But I genuinely found these films extremely boring:

Once
No argument regarding Once...God, that movie was a big ol' snooze.

Two movies I know bored the hell out of me because I fell asleep in the middle of them and don't remember how they ended were Insomina with Al Pacino and Robin Williams and The Hindenburgh with George C. Scott and Anne Bancroft. I also walked out of the 1976 film Nickelodeon with Burt Reynolds and Ryan O'Neal, went to the box office and asked for my money back. Needless to say, they refused.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Two movies I know bored the hell out of me because I fell asleep in the middle of them and don't remember how they ended were Insomina with Al Pacino and Robin Williams
Looks like it's not very aptly titled, then!

I like the film. It's a classic "hero on trial for heroism" story.

It pairs well with Flight, which as an inversion of the story. Denzel's plane even flies inverted (keeping up diplomatic relations, sir). Can Sully really be a hero when "on paper" and "in the sim" other pilots could do better? Can Whip really be a villain when "on paper" and "in the sim" no other pilots could match his skills (even when under the influence)?
I'd say Sully is a hero despite what he could do on paper or in the sim because he was the guy behind the wheel that day and he did what he did. Maybe others could have done just as well or better, but they weren't there (and I doubt any of them would want to find themselves in the same situation to find out how they'd perform).

I'd say Sully is a hero despite what he could do on paper or in the sim because he was the guy behind the wheel that day and he did what he did. Maybe others could have done just as well or better, but they weren't there (and I doubt any of them would want to find themselves in the same situation to find out how they'd perform).
Well, the point of the film was that when pilots were not told everything that was about to happen, they all crashed. When the double engine failure was a surprise the simulators did their checklists and they all crashed. When the test was made fair, the rest failed in their sims. Sully vindicated! Hurrah! With the movie Sully the question is, "Did you really need to do that?" with the answer being, "Yes, if we didn't do that, we would have all died." With Flight the question is, "How the hell did we do that, and can we find you at fault when you're twice as good as everyone else when you're at half capacity (because drunk/high)"? The answer is, Whip has to decide to come clean, because he's so good (and protected by the airline), that he would've gotten away with it. But if he did, he would sully the name (see what I did there?) of the innocent airline attendant who would've taken the blame for his booze.

All I remember now is a guy and a lizardman sitting around in the rocks on a Mars-like planet, to someone as young as I was there wasn't much there to enjoy.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was a bore fest and all the characters were so dislikable, a good contender for boringest movie ever.
I've always been known for liking the more cerebral sci-fi's (not that I'd really consider Enemy Mine "cerebral" - it's a pretty cliche'd scenario that's been told in everything from westerns to war movies). Even Star Trek Enterprise did a totally copycat episode of it.

You may have a point about it not being too exciting for kids (but introducing "Zammis" was supposed to give the kids something to relate to)!

I'd be more inclined to agree with you about Mr. Smith - except for the climax, it's pretty slow. (I'm still waiting for a real-life politician to have a public break down and openly admit to corruption in front of the entire Congress the way Claude Rains' character did!)

A difficult question indeed. Cause what is boring. It can be many things however you look at it.

Slow can be boring. Uninteresting can be boring. Cliched can be boring. But all of those can also not be boring, so yeah.

The most boring movie ever is probably something I can’t answer right here and now, but overall a boring movie for me is probably also a boring answer… but basically if I’m not interested or engaged in what’s going on, I’ll probably get bored. But that can be in several ways. It can be the characters, the plot, the theme, the visuals, whatever.

To be a little more “edgy” than the above, I haven’t been able to get through all of Gangs of New York even after 4 tries or so… I guess that must mean something on the boring-scale… been a while now though. Maybe 5th time’s the charm?