Your take on downloading movies

Tools    

I've been sparked recently by headlines I've seen in several places in regard to downloading movies and other media and how "the man" seems to be cracking down a little bit more these days. Just curious what your take is on the whole situation with downloading movies and if you think it's ok, not ok, etc. I for one don't do it for a coupla reasons, but interested to hear your views.

Appy-polly-loggies
Umm well I def say its okay, with the price of DVD's latley and Late FEES, I mean who honestly has the money to add a few more to their collection, What I find a crime is their asking price for a special edition DVD for 45 bucks. Geeze how much do u think it took thoes chiniese kids to make, not ever 5 bucks, Honestly its a rip off they should understand why people download!

It's illegal, obviously, but don't let that stop you.

Appy-polly-loggies
Oh i wont!

That doesn't sound like conformity at all!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Appy-polly-loggies
Ahhh but its not!

I just know they're coming to kill me.
The only movies I ever download are ones that are either legal or funny stuff, like on ebaumsworld. And by legal, I mean independent film actually put on a website and stuff and such. Bootlegs to me are just crappy quality. I don't prefer them.

Although I will admit, I did buy The Star Wars Holiday Special off of ebay... and my gosh, no wonder it's a bootleg... it's so bad, I can easilly see why Lucas doesn't put it on store shelves.

The 'only' movie I downloaded was on Kazaa (when it was free). It was Signs like 3-4 weeks before it came out. It came in 2 parts and was half the size of a quicktime trailer box. The theater gave it a much better feeling naturally .

Randomly visiting for now
I think that it is stealing money from the developers; I have very little income but I can rent/buy every now and then without too much trouble. Everytime someone downloads a movie from the net (illegally) they are wrecking the industry because as more and more people do it then there will be less profit for film-makers and thus less quality in their next project.

Support what you love people.

Originally Posted by jrs
The 'only' movie I downloaded was on Kazaa (when it was free). It was Signs like 3-4 weeks before it came out. It came in 2 parts and was half the size of a quicktime trailer box. The theater gave it a much better feeling naturally .

You have the right to remain silent…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Appy-polly-loggies
LIME WIRE...all the way, but no I actually have never downloaded a movie, even though I agree with it, at the moment it is just a very long process to download a movie and like some one siad b 4 it comes in two parts, so untill it becomes easier I probably wont be downloading any thing, even though I do agree with it!

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
I think that it is stealing money from the developers; I have very little income but I can rent/buy every now and then without too much trouble. Everytime someone downloads a movie from the net (illegally) they are wrecking the industry because as more and more people do it then there will be less profit for film-makers and thus less quality in their next project.

Support what you love people.
j
I would have to agree with this. I don't buy that many movies and only go to the ones that I think are worth it, so I don't mind spending the extra money on good stuff here and there, especially if it means supporting the makers.

The whole issue with it taking forever and a day to download a crappy copy of a movie online, I'll save for another post.

who wants to watch and crappy version on a tiny screen anyways?

Originally Posted by ipickdaflick
who wants to watch and crappy version on a tiny screen anyways?
I have no idea. Never have understood it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
In the words of Joe Cabot, "Tried it once, didn't work."

Originally Posted by Tacitus
"Tried it once, didn't work."

Many times I have found myself thinking the same thing.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Every movie I DL I end up owning.

"I can't help it..."
I have only downloaded movies that are banned here; and Napoleon Dynamite - thats to hold me over till the DVD gets released.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
I do it for 2 reasons.......

1) A night out to the movies for me & the missus including popcorn and drinks etc comes in at about £12. On a friday night i sit in front of my 42" with my cigars and my beer and watch on average 3movies. And if i don't go partying on a Saturday you can add a couple more to that. I never touch "cams" so with the minimum quality being a Telesync the quality on a 42" Rear Proj tv is more than exceptable. So basically reason 1 is a cost and comforts issue.

2) Im an impatient sod so if i can watch a movie a couple of months before it comes out over here in the uk then that suits me fine. And there is no Chav's messing around with mobile phones behing me at my gaff!