The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I had Mask of the Phantasm at #11. It's an awesome film. In fact it may well be my 2nd favourite Batman film behind Batman Begins. It's between Phantasm and Batman Returns for the no.2 spot

Here's what I wrote about it a while back

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Eric Radomski / Eric Timm

Starring
Kevin Conroy
Dana Delany
Hart Bochner
Stacy Keach
Abe Vigoda
Mark Hamill

Batman: Mask of the
Phantasm

Yes it's an animated film. Yes it's only 73 minutes long. And yes it may be lacking in big-name talent. But I genuinely believe this to be one of the best adaptations of the Batman character ever to hit the screen. And one of my personal favourites. Though when you take into consideration that the film is a spin-off from the superlative animated series of the 90s it really shouldn't come as any surprise just how good it is. The writing for the film is fantastic across all levels; the story, characterisation and dialogue. And that writing helps to create a stronger romantic storyline for Bruce Wayne than most of its live-action counterparts have managed. Bruce Wayne and Andrea Beaumont have a great 1930s/40s screwball comedy/film noir nature to their interactions and dialogue. The vocal performances across the board are all very strong, from Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne/Batman to Mark Hamill's spot-on work as The Joker. I also love the appearance of the film. I love the look of the Gotham presented here; it's got a very gothic, art deco, film-noir aesthetic. And some of the shot compositions are excellent. This also helps in creating some great action set-pieces which are so satisfying and thrilling that they go beyond the film's animated limitations. Rather excellent.

Captain Spaulding, I swear you're starting to write more than JayDee!

I also recall the film's bold choice to display an interracial couple, which shouldn't be a big deal, but sadly it was at the time. I remember thinking such a relationship seemed a bit unusual at first, since I rarely saw interracial relationships on TV or in public, but Rob and Chris seemed so happy and healthy and normal that the difference in their skin color soon stopped registering with me.
I haven't seen The Brave Little Toaster. You are talking about two humans, right? Not an interracial toaster couple. A black toaster and a white toaster. 'Cause if so, I should see this.

All Dogs Go to Heaven is another childhood favorite. It was #6 on my list. Unlike The Brave Little Toaster, I own it on DVD
You have it on DVD?!

The real star of the movie, though, is Judith Barsi as the adorable orphan Anne-Marie. The way she pronounces Charley's name is one of the cutest things I've ever heard. She provides the heart and the warmth and the tenderness. She's responsible for all the "awwww!" moments of the film that tug at the heartstrings. Naturally, I assumed that she was voiced by a woman impersonating a little girl, since that's usually the case. Instead I discovered that Judith Barsi was a little girl herself. (She also voiced Ducky in The Land Before Time, another staple of my childhood.) Unfortunately I also learned that she was shot and killed by her father when she was only ten years old, so that news totally ruined my day. I'll never be able to hear her voice again without thinking of that horrible tragedy.
I completely forgot about this. I think I knew it when I watched the movie a long time ago, but I forgot about it.

She was also the little girl in Jaws: The Revenge. If anyone besides me saw that movie.

Haven't watched either, but I'm interested in Garden of Words since I watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and thought it was one of the most visually striking animated movies I've ever watched. The story? Not so much, and it seems like this will be down that alley as well, but I'll give a go anyways!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Garden of Words for the HOF Shorts Tournament, and I really enjoyed it a lot. I considered it for my list, but it just didn't make my final list.

I've seen a lot of the animated superhero movies because hubby loves them, so we have most of them on DVD. Some of them are very good, but I can never seem to remember which is which, so none of them made my list. (I asked hubby for suggestions about them for my list, but he was no help. )

I can't believe Miss Vicky didn't use that one. It is clearly the best banner!

I haven't seen The Brave Little Toaster. You are talking about two humans, right? Not an interracial toaster couple. A black toaster and a white toaster. 'Cause if so, I should see this.
A slice of white bread gets it on with a burnt piece of toast.

You have it on DVD?!
We'll watch it tonight after my bath.

A slice of white bread gets it on with a burnt piece of toast.
That's just wrong. Wish I had said it.

Oh, give me a break. She don't look black!

They actually say she's a black woman? That's a white woman with a tan!

I had Garden of Words in my to watch list for this countdown but sadly I didn't have enough time to watch it.

Batman, Mask of the Phantasm was my #23, i loved it when i was 10 and haven't watched it since. But i'm pretty confident i'd like it now too

and now this song is reminding me of Seal, and his Batman song, Kiss From a Rose

Let the night air cool you off
I watched Mask of the Phantasm a bunch of times when I was a kid, along with the Alvin and the Chipmunks Batman parody episode. VHS tapes in those clamshell cases were the bomb.

92. The Fox and the Hound - Voting Stats

Total Points: 59
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with Shrek 2 and Garden Of Words, but earned one more vote than Garden Of Words.
5 Votes: 4th Place (22 pts.), Two 14th Place (12 pts. each), 17th Place (9 pts.), 22nd (4 pts.)

91. Shrek 2 - Voting Stats

Total Points: 59
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with The Fox and the Hound and Garden Of Words but its impressive eight votes placed it higher than the other two.
8 Votes: 7th Place (19 pts.), 13th Place (13 pts), 18th Place (8 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), 23rd Place (3 pts.), 24th Place (2 pts.), 25th Place (1 pt.)