Favourite movies with a "Twist" *NO SPOILERS*

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nobody bit at my last post. You think I was blowin' [smoke] in the wind? Show me a movie with a plot and it has a twist. Even if the writer/director/cast had no clue, you will see a "twist" away from a straight line. Now, I realize you're talking about "killer twists", but without reading a word, I knew the "twist" of The Usual Suspects within five minutes of the opening credits. Sorry if I bring this up again but others here beat much-deader horses, if you believe that you can do such a thing.

Vertigo has the greatest twist ever for me, because it's this almost stupidly implausible, utterly over-complex scheme that Hitchcock somehow makes me accept.

Do you think it ruins a movie if you know the twist? For example, there are some movies which quite a few people who've never watched the movie know the twist to.

I think that depends on the film and whether or not the twist is all it really has going for it.

For example, I don't think knowing the twist of The Sixth Sense matters too much if you're a woman, because in my experience, women don't respond to the twist as much as they do the final scene with the boy and his mother in the car. Whereas, for men, it's the twist and what it means to that character that's the emotive revelation.

For something like The Usual Suspects, I knew who the bad guy was after a few minutes, but the way it was revealed was fantastic, so knowing didn't matter. But then, I love that film and fall into it completely everytime I watch it and I still think the reveal is brilliant.

Semper Fooey
Is there anyone here who when they saw Psycho didn't already know the ending because it's been discussed/parodied so much?
Still good movie.

By the way, if anyone hasn't seen the John Barrymore Svengali, it has a very surprising, but not a twist ending that really packs a jolt.

Yeah, a boring movie for a little kid to see. Trust me, I was 8 when I first saw Psycho. My friends and I sat through it until after the shower scene, said "is that it?" and turned it off. Probably put on Zombie Lake or something.

I also saw Psycho as a kid, didn't know the twist. That's a great one. Also didn't see the twist in Vertigo coming, and I saw that as an adult. Add in Fight Club and The Sixth Sense, and you've pretty much got my favorite movies with twists.

Also, Twister has lots of twists

I don't necessarily think that knowing the twist matters too much, because with all movies it's mostly about how you get there that matters. All of the films I've mentioned I think would be great films without the twist, because of the acting, direction, etc. But it does take something away, I think. Unfortunately, I know some people who wouldn't watch a movie if they knew how it ended, or if they knew the twist.

I watched it young enough to not know about the ending. I only knew about the shower scene so that didn't scare me. The ending surprised me and I guess scared me a little.

>it's mostly about how you get there that matters

I'd say it's everything about getting there. An especially good twist can change the entire film around on the second watch. The only thing that stays the same is the twist, so in this case the twist does a kind of recoil and twists the rest of the film backwards.

I enjoyed watching these movies:

Sixth Sense
The Village
Fight Club
Memento
The Prestige
The Others

The Usual Suspects is one of my favourite twists

along with Fight Club and kind of Chinatown but a twist was to be expected really

Let me throw out this question for yall.

What films with a twist do you think would have been BETTER or JUST AS GOOD without the twist?

Let's take Shutter Island as an example. Without the twist it would have been this really weird sort of almost sci-fi film about medical experiments making zombies and DiCaprio stopping them. In short, dumb as hell and pointless. The twist was the only thing that the film had going for it, if you know what I mean.

The twist in Fight Club however was sort of unexpected for me. I was honestly caught off guard, because I was enjoying the story so much. Now, not to say that there weren't hints and stuff thrown in, but could the story have survived or still been awesome with Tyler Durden as a separate person in himself? Yeah. Sure. I think he's an interesting enough character where the film could have still had a good final act and Norton could have actually fought Durden.

Would it have been BETTER? No, I don't think so. But I'm asking if there's a film yall consider would have been?

For example: Shyamalan's dumb as crap The Village ending could easily not have happened (I'm out of ideas for what would make up its final act, but the concept as a whole is pretty interesting and has many possibilities; hell, I might go write a fan fic) and made the film at least average.

But the twist in Shutter Island ruined the film for me, coz I found it too predictible.
I have already mentioned this before, but we can see the same exact twists in Session 9, Number 23 & Madhouse.