MoFo Lists

Tools    

I hope you were being sarcastic, cause social realism sucks! People should stick to real British movies like Austin Powers!

Depends, were you?

there's a frog in my snake oil
And to nitpick, there's no "mark all" option, which made checking off all those boxes a might annoying.
I think you might have meant mite.

(As punishment you must now deny any knowledge of the film Animal House)

Wow.

Out of the members who have done their lists at this very early stage, I'm surprised how low the Comedy flicks are placing. I thought even people who don't watch a lot of movies or a lot of old movies would at the very least have seen some of the classic comedies of all time.

But I guess not.

I recommend everybody who doesn't have them checked off start with the Cary Grant movies on the 100 Laughs list (well, maybe excluding Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, which is OK but by no means belongs on a top one-hundred list). His Girl Friday, The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Arsenic & Old Lace and The Awful Truth are all top-flight must-sees.
Wow, it's been quite a while since I've been here, but the movie lists drew me back. Thnaks to all involved for putting this together.

I agree with Holden regarding Cary Grant. I was about to say that he is the yardstick by which all modern comic actors should be judged, but that's pretty much hyperbole. Even so, all the films mentioned by Holden are "must-sees" in my estimation.

And don't forget: Grant wasn't too shabby in a fair share of thrillers: Notorious, North By Northwest, To Catch a Thief, Charade, and Gunga Din are all well worth watching.

It's good to be back.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Depends, were you?
Course I was. I have tons and tons of respect for the British social realism films. They're real, reflecting the real life of real Brits. And I knida like that.

Originally Posted by Prospero
It's good to be back.
And it's good to have you back.

Course I was. I have tons and tons of respect for the British social realism films. They're real, reflecting the real life of real Brits. And I knida like that.
Yeh, i have respect for them and all, and was being sarcastic but also not. Think sometimes they remove the fun of film, i mean the kitchen sink just ain't enjoyable but as a pieces of film in terms of representing nationality, they're great.

Well, some of you may have noticed that sometime yesterday, the MoFo Lists area was down for maintenance. Why? So glad you asked.

Earlier in the thread Holden pointed out that when you checked a movie off of one list, it wasn't automatically checked off of the others. This was due to the rather simplistic nature of the system as it was first constructed. It was done relatively quickly, and though I think I'm generally pretty good about thinking ahead in these sorts of matters, in this case the system I'd built really wasn't very expandable/flexible.

So, I spent a fair number of hours last week, and several more yesterday and today, fundamentally revamping large portions of it. Now, movies are stored in one place, with no duplicates, meaning that a movie checked off one list is automatically checked off any others it might be on.

This probably seems like a lot of time and effort to devote to such a relatively small feature. It is. However, the changes needed to add this small feature (properly, at least) also allowed for some other new features, and greater expansion down the line.

As a result, list updates are now tracked. That means that people can see who added what, and when. At the moment, all you'll see is the most recent updates on the bottom of the MoFo Lists page, but before long you'll be able to...
  • Browse all updates chronologically
  • Browse updates on a per-user basis
  • Subscribe to receive notifications when a user updates a list
The first two should be available sometime this week (I'll post here when they are, of course).

New lists coming soon, too. The BFI will be next.

Hope you all dig the changes. They look minor on the outside right now, but will make a lot of new features possible moving forward.

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks man

Okay, I've added the BFI's Top 100 British Films list, but that's leading me to ponder how these things should be displayed. At the moment, the menu on our posts says "AFI Lists." Should that be changed to simply "Lists"? "Viewing Lists"? "Movie Lists"?

Also (and this is a bit more important): how many lists do we think should display? Obviously, a few more and that dropdown menu is going to get rather cumbersome, so we should probably have a cutoff...perhaps with a link to the rest. Right now we have five, and I think that's about right. Not displaying them all, however, necessitates that we decide which ones are displayed, and why.

Any thoughts/opinions on the matter would be helpful.

As for diplaying, think the all inclusive list obviously should take priority and the more specific ones lesser. I don't personally mind a big drop down menu for it.

Would be cool to see an overall % next to drop username or something.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Thanks for adding the bfi list. I feel like a bit of an idiot for having suggested it and yet only seen 39% of the films. But at least two I have set up to record this week...

Thanks for adding the bfi list. I feel like a bit of an idiot for having suggested it and yet only seen 39% of the films. But at least two I have set up to record this week...
I'm a bit disappointed myself at how many i've not seen, though have like 10 on DVD to be watched

I've got a 93% on the BFI list, but in my defense (and most of us Yanks, actually) some of these are either very scarce or just plain aren't available in the U.S. of A.

But I just checked and the great video rental place in my neighborhood does have at least five of the seven I haven't seen, so I'll be able to remedy that list up to 98% over the next month or so.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
I've got a 93% on the BFI list, but in my defense (and most of us Yanks, actually) some of these are either very scarce or just plain aren't available in the U.S. of A.

But I just checked and the great video rental place in my neighborhood does have at least five of the seven I haven't seen, so I'll be able to remedy that list up to 98% over the next month or so.
That's great, Holds!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher

Which ones have escaped so far, HP?

Thanks for that Chris, some decent films on these lists at last...

*runs*

Edit - The BFI list isn't displayed in drop-down? Outrageous!

If you have yet to see Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, which happens to be on the list, it is on "On Demand" this month, in the free movie section. It runs until the 27th.