Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
On the Waterfront (1954)

I think it was Matt who recommended it to me, but I'm not sure. Whoever did it, thanks a lot!
Amazing movie!!! Brando delivers the performance of a last time and I just love Lee J. Cobb!!! The sountrack is amazing and the way it portrays the rights of workers, corruption and fight for the truth is beautiful! It's also really really well shot with some great cinematography details!

+

Inherent Vice (2014) 7/10
It's nowhere close to Anderson's masterpiece There Will Be Blood, but I really liked the feel of the movie and the occasional humor.

Syrian dabke enthusiast
Whiplash (2014)

9 out of 10

I felt really anxious throughout the film but it was a good thing because I think it says a lot about how well-written and well-executed the movie is. J.K. Simmons did a great job. I would have probably cried as well if Fletcher was my teacher.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
On the Waterfront (1954)

I think it was Matt who recommended it to me, but I'm not sure. Whoever did it, thanks a lot!
Amazing movie!!! Brando delivers the performance of a last time and I just love Lee J. Cobb!!! The sountrack is amazing and the way it portrays the rights of workers, corruption and fight for the truth is beautiful! It's also really really well shot with some great cinematography details!

+
Warms my heart you saw this! I'm so, so happy you loved it!

Care for some gopher?
Housebound (NZ, 2014, Gerard Johnstone) -

The movie starts out like your average haunted house flick, but then takes a different approach to this genre. I was really surprised by this movie and enjoyed it a lot!

Nausicaa alerted me to that film because it has an actress from my favourite tv programme in it. She liked it, so I'm pleased to see someone else has seen and enjoyed it, too.

It's rather brilliant. I was hoping it wasn't going in one direction but then like Max said it takes a different approach. It did that twice in the film for me and thought it was a fabulous turn. One of my favourites from last year.

This is Not a Film (2011) - Jafar Panahi/Mojtaba Mirtahmasb (Iranian Documentary)
Panahi documents a day as he basically waits for news on his appeal against his six year jail sentence and 20 year ban on making movies ... and of course the way he passes the time is to make a movie that ended up being smuggled out of Iran. Considering my love for Iranian filmmakers like Kiarostami, Farhadi & Majidi I'm actually discovering Panahi quite late and have only really been alerted to him thanks to Bluedeed's post. So far I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

This is a very interesting documentary on a number of levels - it lets us into the mind of a filmmaker, it lets us see the absurdity of censoring filmmakers, it shows us how that censorship might actually help with the filmmaking process due to the need to find ever more creative ways to tell a story and get a message across and it also shows the resilience of people when faced with various types of adversity.

In some ways it showed Panahi to be a very "odd" character but also a very honest and "pure" filmmaker. I loved that faced with not being able to make movies for 20 years he was constantly filming - viewing the world around him through his camera and even his mobile phone when necessary.

The Hunter (2011) - Daniel Nettheim (Australian Thriller)
In some ways this movie sums up the Australian film industry - "arthouse" meets "mainstream". When you read it's plot synopsis it sounds like a standard action movie - "Martin, a mercenary, is sent from Europe by an anonymous biotech company to the Tasmanian wilderness on a hunt for the last Tasmanian tiger." But, that doesn't really describe what the movie is about at all - it's quite a quiet contemplative movie about a loner finding something to care about.

By the end it had probably tried to do a bit much with a logging industry vs greenies sub-plot also thrown into the mix but overall I liked it.

+

Jurassic Park (1993) 7/10
Great action/adventure flick... it's a classic for good reason and I can't believe I haven't seen it before, except for some bits and pieces of it on TV. What really stands out is the score by the great John Williams who is responsible for some of the most popular film scores in history.

Insomnia
(1997, Norway)
Directed by Erik Skjoldbjærg
6.75/10

Taketori Monogatari (aka Princess From The Moon)
(1987, Japan)
Directed by Kon Ichikawa
6/10

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
This is Not a Film (2011) - Jafar Panahi/Mojtaba Mirtahmasb (Iranian Documentary)
Panahi documents a day as he basically waits for news on his appeal against his six year jail sentence and 20 year ban on making movies ... and of course the way he passes the time is to make a movie that ended up being smuggled out of Iran. Considering my love for Iranian filmmakers like Kiarostami, Farhadi & Majidi I'm actually discovering Panahi quite late and have only really been alerted to him thanks to Bluedeed's post. So far I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

This is a very interesting documentary on a number of levels - it lets us into the mind of a filmmaker, it lets us see the absurdity of censoring filmmakers, it shows us how that censorship might actually help with the filmmaking process due to the need to find ever more creative ways to tell a story and get a message across and it also shows the resilience of people when faced with various types of adversity.

In some ways it showed Panahi to be a very "odd" character but also a very honest and "pure" filmmaker. I loved that faced with not being able to make movies for 20 years he was constantly filming - viewing the world around him through his camera and even his mobile phone when necessary.

Glad you liked it, Sane! The moment where Panahi is diagramming and documenting his film for the camera, and then stops and says, "If we could tell a film why would we make a film?" and subsequently abandons the diagramming is a perfect moment in cinema. The deep, existential frustration of the law being imposed on him are laid most bare there. It's beautiful spontaneity and a moment of powerful, tragic force.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Greed (1924) - Erich von Stroheim (American Drama)
This is a very hard movie for me to rate. Parts of it were great but it was exceedingly long and the way it was put together made it hard for me to get really involved in it. The story behind it is that von Stroheim apparently made a nine hour movie that was only ever shown once and the movie studio immediately had it edited down to two hours. It has since been somewhat put back together with the use of photos taken during production and intertitles mixed with the remaining two hours of scenes to try to recreate the film von Stroheim wanted.

So what we have is a very interesting movie but it's four hours long and the parts with photos kept stopping me from really empathising with the characters. Anyway, I feel like my rating is perhaps a bit higher than my actual level of enjoyment but a bit lower than the film probably deserves.

+

The White Balloon (1995) - Jafar Panahi (Iranian Drama)
Panahi's first film (written by Kiarostami) is a nice story of a young girl who loses the money her mother gives her to buy a goldfish and her struggles to get it back ... Or at least that's how it appears but it's actually not overly "nice" as many of the characters she interacts with may not be as pleasant as they appear on the surface.

I love this Iranian version of neo-realism and whilst it may not be the absolute best example of that style it's still a really good film.

+