The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That's a pretty close-minded perspective on what the cinema can be. If we went with that attitude in the early days of film who knows where we'd be.
So you don't think different mediums are doing things in a different manner. Don't mistake me and think I am saying It's Such A Beautiful Day is bad or irrelevant. I just won't think of it in the same way I think of the movies I love because I am engaging with it differently. I don't see how that is being close minded.

It's a movie despite what you feel or think.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Calling It's Such a Beautiful Day a comic strip seems pretty weird coming from someone who enjoy movies...

Anyways, like it or hate it, it shouldn't be dusted off your shoulders as just some lazy, stupid, simple comic strip of sorts. Everything that has been "sucked" out of the animation aspect of the film is thrown into the narrative instead. I could "watch" the movie with closed eyes and still love it, although the visuals do add a lot to the film and make the narrative work even better overall.

When did I brush it off my shoulders or call it lazy and stupid? How many times have I been told on this forum that film is a visual medium. Show don't tell, narration is lazy exposition. Now here is a movie where, like you said, the whole thing is about the narration. I simply say it doesn't fit into the classic example of a film and I am off my rocker.

I swear to God, the internet drives me crazy sometimes. Think the way we think without reservation or you are completely against us. I like the It's Such A Beautiful Day for God's sake. If this conversation goes much further I probably won't though.

When did I brush it off my shoulders or call it lazy and stupid? How many times have I been told on this forum that film is a visual medium. Show don't tell, narration is lazy exposition. Now here is a movie where, like you said, the whole thing is about the narration. I simply say it doesn't fit into the classic example of a film and I am off my rocker.

I swear to God, the internet drives me crazy sometimes. Think the way we think without reservation or you are completely against us. I like the It's Such A Beautiful Day for God's sake. If this conversation goes much further I probably won't though.
I actually wasn't even directing my answer to you. Mostly it was to rauldc as he was the one stating the comic strip thing in the first place. That's also why I didn't quote you and also why I devided my answer in two parts, with the first one being more direct, and the last few lines being more in general. Sorry if that was a bit unclear.

I actually wasn't even directing my answer to you. Mostly it was to rauldc as he was the one stating the comic strip thing in the first place. That's also why I didn't quote you and also why I devided my answer in two parts, with the first one being more direct, and the last few lines being more in general. Sorry if that was a bit unclear.
That's fine, but he didn't call it lazy or stupid either. I just don't think pointing out that this is different than a what we traditionally consider film, and thus not being sure how to rank it against other films is somehow a slight. I doubt the creators would even be offended by this. Maybe the fact that It's Such A Beautiful Day can't be slotted so easily makes it even better.

That's fine, but he didn't call it lazy or stupid either.
Never said that either,
I actually wasn't even directing my answer to you. Mostly it was to rauldc as he was the one stating the comic strip thing in the first place. That's also why I didn't quote you and also why I devided my answer in two parts, with the first one being more direct (rauldc), and the last few lines being more in general. Sorry if that was a bit unclear.

Okay. The lazy, simple, and stupid seemed to be implied but apparently that is because I am lazy, stupid, and simple. I digress. Off to watch a movie.

You know, for this countdown, the problem isn't that it's not my idea of "animation" because All Dogs Go to Heaven, Tarzan, Surf's Up, Frankenweenie... not this It's Such a Beautiful Day thing, but the others... the others ARE my idea of animation. So, so far, so good. I mean, the first movie of the countdown was #8 on my list, so we're okay.

The problem with this countdown, though.... is that it's ANIMATION.

At what point is everyone gonna get bored? I mean, we're waiting on things like Surf's Up and Frankenweenie and All Dogs Go to Heaven. And we're only in the '90s. Not 1990s -- 90 through 99 of the countdown. There's a hell of a lot more stupid cartoon movies to go through.

My complaint this time is that this isn't the 1960's Movie Countdown. I just think that would have been more interesting, don't you? I mean we're all sitting around waiting for things like Lady and the Tramp II. This is nothing but a glorified version of Rodent's ridiculous Comic Book Movies countdown.

Let the night air cool you off
It's Such a Beautiful Day is very much a film. And it's a great one. I don't remember if I was the #7 or #9 voter, but I was one of the two. *shakes fists at Swan for not voting for It's Such a Beautiful Day*

It's Such a Beautiful Day should be higher. It's all Swan's fault.
It's Such a Beautiful Day is very much a film. And it's a great one. I don't remember if I was the #7 or #9 voter, but I was one of the two. *shakes fists at Swan for not voting for It's Such a Beautiful Day*
I have failed you both.

You know, for this countdown, the problem isn't that it's not my idea of "animation" because All Dogs Go to Heaven, Tarzan, Surf's Up, Frankenweenie... not this It's Such a Beautiful Day thing, but the others... the others ARE my idea of animation. So, so far, so good. I mean, the first movie of the countdown was #8 on my list, so we're okay.

At what point is everyone gonna get bored? I mean, we're waiting on things like Surf's Up and Frankenweenie and All Dogs Go to Heaven. And we're only in the '90s. Not 1990s -- 90 through 99 of the countdown. There's a hell of a lot more stupid cartoon movies to go through.

My complaint this time is that this isn't the 1960's Movie Countdown. I just think that would have been more interesting, don't you? I mean we're all sitting around waiting for things like Lady and the Tramp II. This is nothing but a glorified version of Rodent's ridiculous Comic Book Movies countdown.
i'm looking forward to Dumbo, personally

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

If you're not interested in the animation countdown, there are plenty of other threads that you can read while you're waiting for the 1960s countdown to begin, or you can even start some new threads.

Personally, I love animation, and I'm looking forward to this countdown.

Are you sure it's an actual movie and not a novelty or something like that?
Burn. If you can get anyone to say they would pay $10 to see that in a theater, I will take it all back.