Pets

Tools    

@Miss Vicky, great news.

Today's the day!!!! Cuddle a cat, post a pic, and/or add some grilled salmon to the Meow Mix- and have a 'purrfectly' wonderful day:

Helllliooooooooo. Yoooooohhhooooooo......
How are all the furry friends doing these days?

@ynwtf any new events to tell about Puppy?

@Yoda- did your cat take his paw out of the electric socket yet, and finally flatten out his fur?

@cricket- how are the boys surviving summer with all that fur ? And are you dog sitting again?

@Stirchley - do your girls still not talk to each other while they huddle by the fan ?

@JoaoRodrigues, is that cute skinny cat hiding in the shade
now ?

-Anf last but certainly NOT least, @Miss Vicky - what's happening with Copper and Jasper?

Hoping for an answer from any or some ( or all) of you friends of animals. I needs my pics fix.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Puppy is well. She's a goof on toys though and has no idea how to play with them. I've tried soccer, frisbee, ropes, but she only wants to sniff at them and move on. She will play Tug-O-War with me on the 3' knotted rope I have for her but she insists on biting onto the end closest to where I have it gripped, instead of the end 3' feet away from my hand that I dangle in front of her face.

I did find a small rubber ball at the dollar store last week that she actually chased. It's between the size of a baseball and softball. She went crazy over that thing constantly dropping it, running back for it, tossing it, pouncing onto it, etc. That is until she popped it with her massive muscular puppy jaw. But that was the most animated 20 seconds I've seen from her so that was good.

I try to take her to town each weekend. She knows to walk herself from the back fence gate straight to the truck and sit to wait for me to open the passenger door. When back she knows also to step from the seat to the floorboard, then out the open door. She walks herself to the gate so I rarely need the leash. She loves riding around though. Sometimes I'll let the window down partially and she will hang her head out in the wind. If not, she's content to just sit in the passenger seat upright, watching everything move outside.

The only complaint I have is that she refuses to take her monthly pills. She will nom on the treat they are pressed inside of for a few seconds then spit it out. Usually she plops them right into the dirt so the treat part then becomes this wet, muddy mess that she will not pick back up or let me press back into her mouth. They are expensive so that gets old, fast.

Other than that, she's sweet and happy and goofy.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I’ve found that rescue cats who were born outside & spent some time living outside have zero knowledge of playing with toys & no desire to do so. Only my kittens who have endured no hardship will play with toys.

Maddening to give cats their meds too. Some people can get meds into a cat’s mouth, but I am hopeless at this.

Puppy is so nice; she thinks she’s died & gone to heaven having an owner like you.

Awwwwwww @ynwtf Thanks so much !! what great pics and great updates.

Puppy is just so well behaved and intuitive- I wanna hug her! It's still amazing how she found you.

What are the pills for? I have found that animals who don't want to take their pills are extremely clever and resourceful on how to get rid of them. Sometimes they hide them in their mouth, pretend to swallow (!!!!!) and a month later you find pills in your sock drawer. I could name a cat who did this. but will not so as to protect his honor and identity. Smart guy .

Well I guess Puppy is not interested in most toys, but no big deal. Maybe she'd rather have one of those rawhide bones to gnaw on. Or another ball to enjoy and break lol

That last pic with that trusting smile on her face just made my day! Thanks again for sharing - and don't forget you 're always welcome to post any future Puppy events and exploits .

@ynwtf - sorry for this but something is compelling me to ask ...... had one of you farted just prior to that first pic being taken?

@Yoda- did your cat take his paw out of the electric socket yet, and finally flatten out his fur?
Noooooooooope. But he has, this summer, gotten more weird little inexplicable knots in his fur than ever before. It's not even close. I dunno what happened differently here, in his seventh year of living in the exact same place, that has made this so much worse than ever before, but it's nuts. We've just had to cut chunks off him, and he doesn't always love it, so we have to be careful.

Omg @Yoda I don't even know what to say. He must look like a combination of a scrub brush and an accordion right now- albiet a very handsome one.

Well maybe it's the humidity - I find I have to brush out a few tangles in the summer myself - very humid summer btw, Or gel, hair gel can do the trick.

Do they make hair conditioner for cats ?

Of course you may want to make him an Internet phenomenon - he could go viral with that very unusual fur, I' ve never seen any thing like it. But perhaps your cat would just prefer to be a homebody & shun the limelight - he can still remain a mofo mascot.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@ynwtf - sorry for this but something is compelling me to ask ...... had one of you farted just prior to that first pic being taken?
lol, no.
But my Dootle-bug (my rat terrier that's passed [that's passed as in dead, not passing gas though that is the point of my reply so I guess it's a double meaning, huh?]) did fart from time to time. It would scare her so lol. She'd be asleep on the end of the couch (that's a sofa for those of you who prefer S words over C), then I would hear this random squeaking brrrrRT! It was like the sound you can make by stretching a balloon's nozzle (do they even have a formal name??) while deflating it. The sound would startle her awake and she would leap off the couch/sofa to run away and hide. She never figured it was her own body making those noises. (parenthesis).

Noooooooooope. But he has, this summer, gotten more weird little inexplicable knots in his fur than ever before. It's not even close. I dunno what happened differently here, in his seventh year of living in the exact same place, that has made this so much worse than ever before, but it's nuts. We've just had to cut chunks off him, and he doesn't always love it, so we have to be careful.
Isn’t it because we’ve had a very hot summer? He sweats & his fur gets tangled into knots? We always had to have our late cat Pixie shaved each summer. She would get very painful knots that couldn’t be combed out, and, like your cat’s, had to be cut off.

Hasn't been especially hot here, which is why I was confused. Didn't have much of an issue a few years ago with a particularly hot one. Maybe their fur changes slightly as they age? Maybe humidity more than heat? It has seemed like a particularly humid summer. Dunno!

Anyway, it's absurd, but it doesn't seem to bother him half as much as us. And it can be kinda funny.

Hasn't been especially hot here, which is why I was confused. Didn't have much of an issue a few years ago with a particularly hot one. Maybe their fur changes slightly as they age? Maybe humidity more than heat? It has seemed like a particularly humid summer. Dunno!

Anyway, it's absurd, but it doesn't seem to bother him half as much as us. And it can be kinda funny.
Definitely humidity. Moisture!

@Miss Vicky - what's happening with Copper and Jasper?
Not a lot to report. They get along fine and will sniff noses, but don't play with each other or groom each other or anything. Copper's Siamese side has certainly come out in his voice. OMG that cat is loud when he wants something.

The more cats you have, the longer you live. If you have a hundred cats, you’ll live ten times longer than if you have ten. Someday this will be discovered, and people will have a thousand cats and live forever.
Charles Bukowski

How can one argue with this, right? I'm doing my job sir, I'm doing my job.

Picture is a little messy, don't really know why, it seemed good on the iphone

Here they are, one isn't in the picture but is just like that white one. They're so small and they already eat ration, like all the other big ones. They're already starting to make the war groan so no one reaches near there food. They're so small but they can already climb these stairs, I was on my computer and I was shocked how could they climb them. They're super cats. I was watching Natural Born Killers the other night, I don't like to name cats, but I'll name them: Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

Update: the blind cat now own the joint, the yellow cat went somewhere and haven't yet returned. It's normal among yellow cats, must be the color or something, his father did the same thing, just returned years later, very old, came to die where he had born. It was the only cat I named until now, I called him lion, he deserved the tittle.

@Miss Vicky - what's happening with Copper and Jasper?
Not a lot to report. They get along fine and will sniff noses, but don't play with each other or groom each other or anything. Copper's Siamese side has certainly come out in his voice. OMG that cat is loud when he wants something.

Heh heh I was wondering about that when you showed us he was half Siamese. They are very.......vocal
cats. Let's hope he's just occasionally loud, and not .......verbose.
It does sound like he's settled in quite well - gotten much more confident - and the two get along- they may even become best buddies.

As he gets more comfortable, his Siamese side may come out more- which means you'll have a very affectionate playful cat on your hands. ( and on Jasper's paws)
Feel free to let us know if he does any tricks - aside from teaching you to fetch hm for breakfast

Thanks for the update.

The more cats you have, the longer you live. If you have a hundred cats, you’ll live ten times longer than if you have ten. Someday this will be discovered, and people will have a thousand cats and live forever.
Charles Bukowski

Picture is a little messy, don't really know why, it seemed good on the iphone

Here they are, one isn't in the picture but is just like that white one. They're so small and they already eat ration, like all the other big ones. They're already starting to make the war groan so no one reaches near there food. They're so small but they can already climb these stairs, I was on my computer and I was shocked how could they climb them. They're super cats. I was watching Natural Born Killers the other night, I don't like to name cats, but I'll name them: Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

Update: the blind cat now own the joint, the yellow cat went somewhere and haven't yet returned. It's normal among yellow cats, must be the color or something, his father did the same thing, just returned years later, very old, came to die where he had born. It was the only cat I named until now, I called him lion, he deserved the tittle.

An unexpected treat in this post- a great quote from one of my favorite poets- didn't know this quote tho. Good advice for humanity - glad you're 'doing your job' there.

Heart touching story about lion the cat. That's all I can say about him.

The blind cat has found his home, and his throne - nice to hear.

Aaaaahhhhhhh - those lil ones What lovely kittens. They all have very beautiful eyes. So delightful. Yes I also have found that young kittens are wonderful acrobats - tackling stairs that would seem monumental for their size .

Thanks for posting Joao -I' m thinking of your place as the Portugese version of Papa Hemingway's place - warm clime, teeming with cats . Enjoy!

Aaaaahhhhhhh - those lil ones What lovely kittens. They all have very beautiful eyes. So delightful. Yes I also have found that young kittens are wonderful acrobats - tackling stairs that would seem monumental for their size .

Thanks for posting Joao -I' m thinking of your place as the Portugese version of Papa Hemingway's place - warm clime, teeming with cats . Enjoy!
Can hardly believe this post. I feel sick just looking at the photo. Tiny kittens on the street who will be left unfixed & without any medical care. The males will roam & promulgate & the females will birth at 4 months & twice a year thereafter.

And to mention Hemingway in this context makes no sense. Hemingway’s cats were & are all fixed!

“warm cline, teeming with cats” - this is Portugal, Greece, Turkey, etc. Tragic indifference to the needs of animals.

If your job is to let stray cats breed, you are doing your “job”. No clue why you’re so proud of this.

I don't know whether all the people here on mofo manage to catch and neuter the cats that come to their property. It may be an ideal way to treat strays, but not everyone has the time, resources and skills to do so.

I feel better knowing there are people who take it upon themselves to feed strays ( and perhaps shield them from the elements with a homemade cat 'barn' or such in harsh weather.) The cats are better off imho than if just left totally abandoned.