The Shining

→ in
Tools    

I've recently seen The Shining (again). I suppos that everyone know this film by Stanley Kubrick. It's from the 70's and takes place in a big hostel in the USA, hard to reach while the winter because of the snow.
The plot tells the story of a father and husband, Jack Torrence, interpreted by the famous Jack Nicholson, who is a teacher but decides to postulate for a vacant place of "gardian" in this hotel during 6 month: the time of the closing. He get the job and he goes live there with his wife (S. Duvall) and his son, aged of 6 years old. He knows the bad reputation of the hostel. The last gardian killed his wife, his two daughters and himself. But Jack doesn't care and can't image that he could become crazy too. He hopes that he will may enjoy these 6 month to write a book. But after a while, in the hostel, he developes a certain aggressiveness with his family. He doesn't support anything anymore. He has some hallucinations, he speaks with the ghost of the gardian, ...
His son has also this problem. But not because of a sickness or because he become crazy, but because of his secret power: "the shining" which permits him to see what happened in a place.
The story talks about that: the Madness which hit Jack and makes him want to kill his family.
I really didn't like this film. I know that Kubrick is a famous figure in the world of the direction. But I couldn't see the film fully. However, I usually like S. King (the story is an adaptation of his book). But here, I found that too slow, boring, and the film theme was horrible, particularly when the child has some visions. The actress was so bad, whit an unsupportable voice. I really wouldn't see it one more minut, I give in.
So, to conclude, this movie is a disaster. It's only famous because of J. Nicholson and his scene where he tries to assassinate his wife. Fortunately, he was there to save this load of rubbish. So thanks to him... And in my mind one think is clear: I don't like Kibrick, even if I tried everything to descover his art.

I liked THE SHINING a lot more than you did. Yes, the film is nowhere near as good as the book, but Nicholson is electrifying and makes the whole thing worth sitting through.

Guys, I must disagree

the book is stupid, the hotel is evil, etc....like in all stephen king, this is too much unbelievable things...so even not very scary...i remember the elevator events were just so kiddy..

whereas the movie is just a masterpiece...Stanley Kubrick added the labyrinth which is just excellent idea...and no need to talk about the memorable performance of Jack Nicholson...
but I do respect your feedbacks...^^

REDRUM !

I have not read the book (usually a good idea before seeing the movie), but being new to the story, I took the whole haunted hotel thing mainly as a setup for Jack's advancing madness. It's the most direct sort of horror movie...imagine yourself and your son locked in for the winter, nowhere to flee, husband going stark crazy bonkers and finally homicidal. What could be scarier than that. I always had the impression that Jack Nicholson just unleashed the dark side of his own personality for this role; he was just too damn good to be acting.

I took the whole haunted hotel thing mainly as a setup for Jack's advancing madness. It's the most direct sort of horror movie...imagine yourself and your son locked in for the winter, nowhere to flee, husband going stark crazy bonkers and finally homicidal. What could be scarier than that.
You're spot on. This is why I think the Shining is scarier than Friday the Thirteenth, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween combined. Jack is not some supernatural being or a killing machine. He's an alcoholic husband and father, who slowly goes mad from isolation and (possibly) spirits. The realism of the situation hits home harder than any guy wearing a hockey mask or a demon with a sense of humour.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

To top it off, there was a mini series based on The Shining with a teleplay written by Stephen King himself. And from what I hear, it has NOTHING on the Kubrick movie. It is written too much like a book as it stays very close to the original text. Mostly because King HATES the Kubrick movie.

I love Shining,it's my favorite horror film so far.Sometimes I wonder how it would be without Dannys "shining" power which is the only supernatural thing in the movie.It would definitely be more realistic but maybe not creepy enough.

To top it off, there was a mini series based on The Shining with a teleplay written by Stephen King himself. And from what I hear, it has NOTHING on the Kubrick movie. It is written too much like a book as it stays very close to the original text. Mostly because King HATES the Kubrick movie.
That miniseries is some of the most laughable **** i have ever seen!

There is one thing I agree with in the opening post - Shelley Duval was awful. However, the rest of the movie is great. Actually just watched it again yesterday and it does have some issues but overall it's a 9/10 movie.

I must point out that the film is rather good, despite main actress's horrible acting... I've come across the comment that the pace is somewhat problematic here. I disagree... I am a man who likes dramas and this film has always seemed to be a cross between a drama and (let's say) horror... But you were probably just expecting the slaughter from the first minute so you were let down... It's all about your initial approach to any film, really...

Ok i have not seen yet...no surprise Stephen King can't stand a "normal" psychological story but always go for paranormal and kiddie stuff...

What an ego if he can't recognize that the movie Shining is far better than his novel.

Well have a nice day fellows

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Maybe I will rewatch it today. Maybe.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I don't think he hates it. I think King was jealous of Kubrick's masterpiece.

Naturally. It's easier to say you hate something than to admit you're jealous. I sometimes get the impression King is a snot-nosed little brat.
Who knows. Either way, Kubrick is the man. I think we all can agree there.