Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

2nd Re-watch...For my money, Rob Reiner's masterpiece...everything works here. Standout performances from Cary Elwes (one of the industry's most underrated actors), Chris Sarandon and especially Christopher Guest...I can't believe this is the same Christopher Guest that played Nigel Tufnel in Spinal Tap.

Four Lions (2010)

Funny as ****!!!
I saw some of this the other day and clearly I need to see it asafp . I've always liked Chris Morris so I knew what to expect. One bit that really made me laugh was the news report showing the headline "Asian man's head falls out of a tree". It was interesting to see Kayvan Novak as I didn't know him before What We Do in the Shadows. Arsher Ali I've seen before more than once and he was really good in Line of Duty.

Cruel Intentions (1999)

I would have rated this higher right after watching it last night, that's how much I enjoyed it. I was hesitant because I went in thinking Ryan Phillippe was awful but he was good in this. It reminded me of Wild Things, wonderful trashy fun.

As low as your rating is, this might be something I'd be interested in.

Cruel Intentions (1999)

I would have rated this higher right after watching it last night, that's how much I enjoyed it. I was hesitant because I went in thinking Ryan Phillippe was awful but he was good in this. It reminded me of Wild Things, wonderful trashy fun.
He was excellent wasn't he? I haven't seen it all the way through but I think it's a very good film and does justice to the source material. They all had some pretty big shoes to fill after Dangerous Liaisons.

Beauty and The Beast
(1987)
2/5

Came across this on Light TV when I was surfing the channels. I figured I would stop and watch because it is Beauty and The Beast. Wow-what a piece of crap.

Yesterday 2019

I was surprised Danny Boyle made this.. it seems more like something Richard Curtis would churn out. Bland and boring.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I Origins (2014)

Good story, well acted and well shot. Not a fast paced movie but does feel very slow in parts. Worth a watch still.

I liked it. Didn't love it - I thought it was just a tiny bit overly sentimental. I initially only watched it because of Britt Marling but it turned out to be interesting enough.

That elevator scene though.

I was surprised Danny Boyle made this.. it seems more like something Richard Curtis would churn out.
What – a load of British people f-ing and blinding ?

Unregistered User
I liked it. Didn't love it - I thought it was just a tiny bit overly sentimental. I initially only watched it because of Britt Marling but it turned out to be interesting enough.

That elevator scene though.

Yeah! Have to say, I didn't catch on until he did either! Such an out of context scene for film in general.

I Origins (2014)

I took The Samoan Lawyer's recommendation, and watched this last night. I'm glad I did.

Written & Directed by Mike Cahill, and starring Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire, Seven Psychopaths), Britt Marling (The OA), and Astrid Berges-Frisbey (King Arthur), the title is a little enigmatic and pretentious sounding, but the film delivers the goods.

The base premise involves evolution, creationism, and reincarnation, but it plays as a romance/mystery, and never gets preachy or highbrow. It starts as a romance then gradually morphs into a metaphysical mystery.

There is no gutter language, graphic sex, nor gore; and but for possibly one scene it should have been rated PG-13. The picture is one of those that likely has been passed over because it doesn't contain "A" list stars, but it's a very well put together, enjoyable and thoughtful film.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Greed (1924)

Maybe one of the greatest films that never was. Greed had a hard time making it to the silver screen. Director Erich von Stroheim shot 85 hours of film and spent 2 hours filming in Death Valley for what would end up being only a 20 minute segment. Stroheim spent a year editing the film down to an epic 8 hour length and that was a year of his life he wasn't paid for as his contract stipulate he wouldn't be paid for post production work.

Only 12 people on the planet ever saw the completed 8 hour epic that was once Greed. Several of those 12 called Greed the greatest film ever made. And that's where Greed's story turns sour as the studio hacked and hacked the film down until it was only a couple hours long. All of that editing was against the wishes of Stroheim. In the beginning of the version of Greed I just watched there's a quote from Stroheim who laments the misery he suffered as other's cut his opus down to size.

What we have today is a film that's worth watching but will never have the full effect Stroheim intended. I watched the 1 hour 50 minute restored version and it reminded me of Orson Welle's The Lady From Shanghai, in that both films are vastly interesting, but the pacing is off with missing scenes and choppy editing...editing that broke both director's hearts.

I tried (and had) to watch the 6-hour version, but I guess I can't get into Silent films.

I watched I Origin sometime ago, didn't like it:

I Origins (2014)

About: A young molecular biologist (Michael Pitt) and his new student laboratory partner (Brit Marling) work on uncovering evidence that will prove evolution is real, by disproving a key argument in the Intelligent Design belief.

Review: Director/writer Mike Cahill churns some goobly goo religious ideas under the guise of pseudo science. Mike Cahill who previously wrote and directed the thought provoking Indie sci fi Another Earth (2011), fails to deliver here with his ham fisted preaching and hokey science. Add into that some lifeless characters and you get a sleeper that's best left sleeping. I've seen movies made by Christian organizations and even though they have a message they can still be a well made film.

I Origins is a poorly made film. What we're asked to swallow is an abrupt 180 degree character change from a scientist who's working on proving evolution, then abruptly comes to believe souls are being reborn into babies, based on repeating iris specks in the eye. Of course this same research scientist who was dedicated to disproving Intelligent Design spends his time buying cigarettes and lottery tickets. Any scientist knows those are two stupid things to do.

Nothing else to say here, if you want to see a good though provoking sci fi by Mike Cahill, watch his Another Earth.