Revenge of the Nerds

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Did anyone else watch this marathon on Comedy Central today?? They played all 4 of the movies. The first one is pretty funny. It had its moments, along with the second one which was pretty funny. But man did the third one suck. But anyways, I have a question for anyone who can explain it to me. In the first movie Lewis steals the cheerleader chic from her boyfriend, they get together. Then in the second movie there is no mention of her, AND Lewis finds a new girl. They fall in love. THEN in the third movie he is married to the girl from the first movie. Whats the deal with that?
[Edited by OG- on 11-26-2000]

That's probably because Jeff Buhai was the co-writer of the first and third movies, but not a writer or director in the 2nd. I think all 4 movies had different directors.

The original film was the only one that worked for me...I thought the rest were crap, but the original is one of my guilty pleasures, I never get tired of re-watching it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just saw the first one for the first time. I found the humor to be really cheesy and lame. Like for example, they show the young kid talking to two pairs of breasts, which is funny and kind of cute, but then he breaks the fourth wall and looks into the camera, thus ruining the gag. Or how all the black people from one dorm, come to defend the nerds, and it seems as if they are trying to use the African-Americans as a theme for persecution on the nerds, which just came off as really cheesy I thought.

Plus, I don't understand how the nerds got all under the same dorm. Does the University pick which students to assign to which dorm based on their looks, dress and demeanor?

I also didn't buy that the blonde girl would fall head over heals for a nerd, but also love all nerds in general, just because one was the best sex for her. Would she really be that inspired just because it was the best?

But it got really good reviews from critics, including Siskel and Ebert, so I feel I must be missing something about it?

I just saw the first one for the first time. I found the humor to be really cheesy and lame. Like for example, they show the young kid talking to two pairs of breasts, which is funny and kind of cute, but then he breaks the fourth wall and looks into the camera, thus ruining the gag. Or how all the black people from one dorm, come to defend the nerds, and it seems as if they are trying to use the African-Americans as a theme for persecution on the nerds, which just came off as really cheesy I thought.

Plus, I don't understand how the nerds got all under the same dorm. Does the University pick which students to assign to which dorm based on their looks, dress and demeanor?

I also didn't buy that the blonde girl would fall head over heals for a nerd, but also love all nerds in general, just because one was the best sex for her. Would she really be that inspired just because it was the best?

But it got really good reviews from critics, including Siskel and Ebert, so I feel I must be missing something about it?
One of my favorite "teen" (well college actually) movies of the 80's.

Keep in mind this was a 1984 movie so much of the humor may not have aged too well for some modern audiences (particularly the politically incorrect stuff).

You've got some interesting questions there I.P.!

I can answer the one about "dorms" - there were no dormitories involved in this movie, it was all about fraternities (frat houses), and indeed they do choose their own members.
That was covered in the movie as the Nerds try to apply to the "cool" frats. The reason the Nerds all got lumped together is they were the unpopular kids who were rejected by the school's fraternities, so they end up forming their own and get established fraternity Lambda Lambda Lambda to be their sponsor. (I don't think the movie addressed why they could not live in a school-run dormitory, unless maybe Adams College didn't have dorms?).

The rest all seems a matter of opinion, but yeah I think parallels of oppression between the Nerds and blacks was drawn in the movie. The reason the Lambda guys come to the rescue of the Nerds is that the Nerds are now Lambdas - they earned their place in the frat under their Tri-Lamb sponsorship and a fraternity is a brotherhood - they protect their own. And some girls (and guys) WILL indeed go with whoever delivers the best sex - that's for sure!

The trick is not minding

Specific to your last paragraph, Not really. Just because a critic enjoyed a film doesn’t mean you would either. Each of us views films on our own terms. I happened to enjoy it as well, but there are very popular films I couldn’t enjoy at all (Fargo, Gandhi, A Place in the Sun, A History of Violence).
Point being, don’t feel like you are missing something about a film just because you feel you should have liked it

One thing to keep in mind is that not all the Nerds were the stereotypical intellectual tech-type geeks (although several of them, including the two main characters: Louis and Gilbert, along with Poindexter were this type to the extreme.)

What they all were was misfits - which is why they all ended up (at first bunking in the gym) together:
They were the rejects and outcasts who did not fit in with cool society thus they were rejected by all the fraternities.

In addition to the bespectacled "geeks" you had Booger (no great intellect, crass, slovenly and gross, but still kind of cool in his own right, but such an individualist that the only place he fit in was with Nerds); there was Wormser (outcast because he was smart beyond his age group and somewhat of a "geek"); Lamar (rejected apparently for being gay), and Takashi (who it seems didn't fit in simply for being an Asian foreign exchange student).

There were more unnamed Nerds, some of whom just seemed a little too weird or unique or who dressed too funny to be accepted by the cool fraternity society.

This movie may be special to me because when it came out I was in my second year of college and was an outcast myself (although I wouldn't become bespectacled until about a decade later!)

As said, I loved the first movie but never saw any of the sequels. I may keep it that way as I hear they only went downhill into the realm of awful - loosing all the uniqueness, quirkiness and charm of the first movie.

On another personal note: the movie took on something of a significance during the 2010 suicide scandal case at my Alma mater: Rutgers University due to its scenes where the Nerds hook up spy cameras in the girl's sorority. Although the movie was a comedy, it contained antics that were very similar to those that revolved around a student secretly filming his roommate with a webcam in a college dorm, then outing the roommate's private life on social media, after which the young man that was filmed killed himself while the roommate who planted the camera underwent a serious court case with a conviction, minor jail time, community service and fines.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I'm not surprised. Roger Ebert was into skin flicks as he co-wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and also did an audio commentary for it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh well I never would think of Revenge of the Nerds as a skin flck, as you don't see much skin, outside of the one scene, I don't think.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
My only disappointment with the 3rd Nerds film was that instead of Anthony Edwards or Andrew Cassese returning as Gilbert (where we saw the return of both Larry Scott and Brian Tochi),Sean Whalen (who I like in other films like Jury Duty and Never Been Kissed) played Wormser and I think the actor's name was Mike Greenberg sporting a Robbie Rist hairstyle as a chubbier Gilbert.

The first is a definitive 80's classic....liked the 2nd one mainly because of James Hong's Snotty and Booger's lines. Betty was only seen in the 2nd film via a photo seen as Lewis packs his suitcase. One can only theorize his thing with Sunny was just a quick fling and then upon his return home, he and Betty got together and married and of course in the final film, they had their son Kunta.

The 3rd and 4th are somewhat guilty pleasures for me...but that;s just me. I'm that weird LOL