Tron Legacy: Predict the Gross

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, numbers are in. TRON Legacy came in at $43.6 million. That's not counting the overseas numbers, either, which were around $23 million.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I saw the original at the movies and liked it I know it isn't great but i like it

Well, numbers are in. TRON Legacy came in at $43.6 million. That's not counting the overseas numbers, either, which were around $23 million.
Well, that's a fail for TRON then.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll make money when all's said and done, but I don't think it's gonna be the hit they were hoping for. There were tons of ads for this thing.

This is doing terrible, and for once it's not necessarily because of ticket prices

And just a budget update, it cost $170 million but they spent another $100 million in ads alone, so if they want to make up $270 million, they better inject marijuana into the theaters

Well, it'll make probably half that domestically, and a fair bit overseas. And then there's DVD and Blu-Ray rentals and sales. It's not hard to make money on these kinds of films. But it might take awhile.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
That's a bit disappointing. I doubt it will have legs though.

Two disappointing film debuts in a row.

Suspect's Reviews

I think it MAY have performed better if the DVD of the original had been available to refresh people's memories. I remember enjoying the original, but I don't remember much about since I haven't seen it in over 20 years.

The second being Chronicles of Naria.
Thanks for that. As you know, I was wondering. TBF though, that really failed the last time around, didn't it? I mean, that's what it was dropped and 20th picked it up.

I think it MAY have performed better if the DVD of the original had been available to refresh people's memories. I remember enjoying the original, but I don't remember much about since I haven't seen it in over 20 years.
I disagree for the reason I stated on the previous page. I can't think of anything more likely to put people off than seeing the previous effort.

It's early days, but so far, in terms of ratio, it's going pretty much as I thought it would. That is, the US is making 2/3's of the gross.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I can't see this film performing greatly, just ok. The original back in 82 came out during the birth of personal computing. There was great curiosity and interest in the subject matter (Wargames came out 1 year later). Nowadays, PCs are taken for granted--heck, everyone's cell phone now has more computing power than the first home computer. I think the interest in the movie is limited to nostalgia and 3D CGI cool factor.

I think the interest in the movie is limited to nostalgia and 3D CGI cool factor.
I went for the movie with 6 colleagues who had never heard of the original.
& most of the youngsters haven't heard of the original either...
Few might be aware of the videogame Tron 2.0..

I don't think it's getting interest coz of nostalgia. maybe 1/10th of the interest might be cos of nostalgia.. that's it.

& the only reason the original Tron didn't do all that great because most of them found the "trapped in a digital world" concept rather silly, the concept has a better chance of working now..

We all knew that Narnia 2 wouldn't be big, either. I really liked The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe, but that's part of the problem. Everyone loves that first one but, with the possible exception of the books, the following stories never do anything like as well in another format. Plays, tv adaptations, etc, the audiences are always bigger for TL,TW&TW than the others.