MoFo All Time 100: Ideas and Suggestions

Tools    

I always get nervous putting together a top 100 (or top 50, or top 10). For starters, my taste really fluctuates year to year. But also, my favorites list is always like 60% films that most people do not consider great (or even good) and always omits a ton of "top films."

Like, sorry Casablanca, you are getting bumped for Hellbound: Hellraiser 2.

I will definitely enjoy seeing everyone else's list!

I always get nervous putting together a top 100 (or top 50, or top 10). For starters, my taste really fluctuates year to year. But also, my favorites list is always like 60% films that most people do not consider great (or even good) and always omits a ton of "top films."

^^More of this^^

Good for you. That's the list I want to see.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I understand there can be a distinction between favourite and best, but I also hope people vote for what they actually like, whatever their reason for liking it, not for what they think they should like.

I understand there can be a distinction between favourite and best, but I also hope people vote for what they actually like, whatever their reason for liking it, not for what they think they should like.
Totally agree. Otherwise if we vote for what we think should be the best, it won't really represent the MoFo community. I for one am voting for films I love and think deserve to make the countdown

I agree with this, for the record, though it really just leads us to ask what "like" means. I personally enjoy films, and that means I like them, but I also "like" films because I admire them, even if I don't want to watch them as much or get as much direct enjoyment from them. It's pretty complicated, I think.

The balance people usually struggle with, I think, is not whether to vote for things they don't like, but trying to parse direct enjoyment from admiration, when they differ a bit.

Martin Scorsese has at least three acknowledged, influential masterpieces in his long filmography: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and GoodFellas. I don't expect any of them need a reminder for inclusion. But while I love all of those films endlessly the Scorsese movie I return to more than any of them is After Hours (1985). I hope some of you love it, too, and make room for it on your lists.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It's gonna be a hell of a job deciding what 24(or is it 49) movies to put in after this masterpiece..........

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Casablanca might get bumped on my list too, but it will probably be for a movie like When Harry Met Sally... or Sleepless in Seattle.

My biggest problem will be to avoid an entire list of rom-coms and musicals.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Totally agree. Otherwise if we vote for what we think should be the best, it won't really represent the MoFo community. I for one am voting for films I love and think deserve to make the countdown

Those are two different lists for me.

The list of "films I love" would most likely be a list that has less than 5 movies with a chance to make the countdown.

The list of "films I think deserve to make the countdown" would have more movies that make the countdown, but it would leave out some of my favorite movies.

I haven't decided which way my list will go yet, but I'm hoping to end up with a nice blend that combines both lists.

For mine I've looked into movies I love, that would be considered as actually decent

I mean, I love The 'Burbs, but wouldn't consider it as one of the best movies ever made

I don't want it to burn, I want it to be true.
We all do, but I feel like the people who cheer on "fun" choices over established classics are maybe disregarding how multi-faceted the question is. This is how I put it a few posts earlier:

I agree with this, for the record, though it really just leads us to ask what "like" means. I personally enjoy films, and that means I like them, but I also "like" films because I admire them, even if I don't want to watch them as much or get as much direct enjoyment from them. It's pretty complicated, I think.

The balance people usually struggle with, I think, is not whether to vote for things they don't like, but trying to parse direct enjoyment from admiration, when they differ a bit.
Art is enjoyed on many levels, and I think it's both reasonable and good when people take an art form seriously by trying to parse out its qualities in a way that's maybe less affected by their own idiosyncracies.

We all do, but I feel like the people who cheer on "fun" choices over established classics are maybe disregarding how multi-faceted the question is. This is how I put it a few posts earlier:
It's not that they're fun. It's that they're being put forward as the 'real' choice, but one which will be dropped for an 'approved' choice.

There are people on here who will put films at the top of their list which are brilliantly made films. Pieces of art, if you want to put it like that. Important, intelligent, thought-provoking films which they love and are among their favourite films. That's fine. I'm behind them all the way because that's what they truly think and feel. But if you'd put Charlie's Angels at the top of your list, but you're not going to because it's not 'one of the greatest technical achievements in the history of film or isn't considered important or wouldn't appear on the Cahiers du Cinema or Sight And Sounds top 100 then it's not what this site is. It's what it wants to be. Again, that's fine. But label it correctly and make it known that's what we're doing as I'll submit a very different list.

There are people on here who will put films at the top of their list which are brilliantly made films. Pieces of art, if you want to put it like that. Important, intelligent, thought-provoking films which they love and are among their favourite films. That's fine. I'm behind them all the way because that's what they truly think and feel. But if you'd put Charlie's Angels at the top of your list, but you're not going to because it's not 'one of the greatest technical achievements in the history of film or isn't considered important or wouldn't appear on the Cahiers du Cinema or Sight And Sounds top 100 then it's not what this site is. It's what it wants to be.
But why can't "I want my list to feature great achievements" be part of what they "truly think and feel"? The decision about how to weight those things is, itself, the person deciding what they "like," and in fact what "like" means to them. That is the most genuine thing: to not just measure all these films, but to even get to decide what standards you measure them against.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Struggling still on a principled line. If I submit a list, it will have to be of movies that I personally find fantastic on my measure of good over movies that are objectively better given a more universal standard of quality. Using my local top 10 as an example, I think Apocalypse Now (my profile #10) is objectively a better movie than my number 5, Galaxy Quest; however, I prefer Galaxy Quest as an experience far more than the other. I feel the need to submit Apocalypse Now over the likes of Galaxy Quest (if included at all) for some weird sense of mass committee-like approval and expectation.

That's not a complaint, btw. Just I REALLY struggle over that lol. Enough, at least, make note of it here.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear