What's the definition of a "horror" movie?

Tools    

That's some fragile parenting, it's a Spielberg family movie.
Since when are family movies rated PG-13? Since when do they show severed limbs and people getting eaten?

I consider a horror movie anything that gives an uneasy feeling to watch.
I always thought horror movies were only fictional characters (like supernatural), but they are far from only labeled that way.

Since when are family movies rated PG-13? Since when do they show severed limbs and people getting eaten?
There are many PG-13 Family Movies.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
The Addams Family (1991)
Forrest Gump (1994)
Mrs Doubtfire (1993)
Oliver Twist (2005)
Adventures In Babysitting (1987)

Being some of the most recognizable.

Jurassic Park (1993) being one as well, with central family subject matter involving how Dr. Alan Grant's relationship develops with the young kids Alexis and Tim. That's an essential focus of the film.

I haven't seen all of the movies on that list, but I certainly don't remember bloody severed limbs or people being eaten by giant reptiles being featured in any of the ones I have seen.

I do think Jurassic Park was marketed to kids and families, but then again I'd say many rated R horror movies are marketed towards teens who aren't old enough to get in by themselves.

I haven't seen all of the movies on that list, but I certainly don't remember bloody severed limbs or people being eaten by giant reptiles being featured in any of the ones I have seen.
You saw it in a dinosaur family film called Jurassic Park (1993)

You saw it in a dinosaur family film called Jurassic Park (1993)
No. I saw it in a Sci-Fi Adventure film called Jurassic Park, but certainly not in any family film.

No. I saw it in a Sci-Fi Adventure film called Jurassic Park, but certainly not in any family film.
Yes you did. Here's a list of with lots of Family PG-13 Movies from Ranker.com.

"PG-13 is the perfect rating for a film that the whole family can enjoy - there is just enough humor and subversion to make things interesting, but not enough that would offend younger or older viewers. If you have kids in your household, consider watching some of these movies together as a gateway to discuss some of the themes and situations the characters find themselves in." -From the list description

What a great thread! Funnily enough I was asking myself the same question about comedy movies : some amazing comedies (I'm thinking Roy Andersson for exemple) do not make you laugh that much, when any number of otherwise good jokes in an action movie do not turn it into a comedy (hello Lethal Weapon).

After pondering a bit, I believe I would classify as a horror (or comedy) flick any movie that uses the tropes of the genre. So, for example, A Girl Walks Home alone at Night is clearly a horror movie, even if it doesn't scare you one bit. But Manhunter isn't.

Some people think door makes a good horror but I think a horror films should play with your mind psychologically
Some people think that movies with doors are horror?

WARNING: "Heh" spoilers below
Or is auto correct horror?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Why does horror have to be for adults? Can’t there be a kids horror movie?

These are some kids horror movies I found on IMDB's horror list:

Casper: A Spirited Beginning (1997)
Casper's Haunted Christmas (2000)
Scooby-Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2018)
The Little Vampire 3D (2017)
Daffy Duck's Quackbusters (1988)
Bugs Bunny's Creature Features (1992)
Bugs Bunny's Howl-oween Special (1977)
Tiny Toons' Night Ghoulery (1995)
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)
Mickey's House of Villains (2001)
The Batman vs. Dracula (2005 Video)
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman (2000)
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)
Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf (1988)
Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy (2014)
Lego Scooby-Doo!: Haunted Hollywood (2016)
The Black Cauldron (1985) - Disney
The Monster Squad (1987)
The Haunted Mansion (2003)
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)
Frankenweenie (2012)
The Pagemaster (1994)
Return to Oz (1985) - (Disney)

There are also a bunch of short films that are on IMDB's horror list, but I don't know if shorts are eligible for the countdown:

The Case of the Stuttering Pig (1937) - Porky Pig Short
Jeepers Creepers (1939) - Porky Pig Short
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (1946) - Porky Pig Short
Hair-Raising Hare (1946) - Bugs Bunny Short
Dr. Jerkyl's Hide (1954) - Sylvester the Cat Short
Claws for Alarm (1954) - Porky Pig and Sylvester Short
The Duxorcist (1987) - Daffy Duck Short
The Night of the Living Duck (1988) - Daffy Duck Short
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949) - Bing Crosby Short
The Skeleton Dance (1929) - Disney Short
The Haunted House (1929) - Mickey Mouse Short
The Mad Doctor (1933) - Mickey Mouse Short
Betty Boop's Hallowe'en Party (1933) - Betty Boop Short
When Harry Met Sally 2 (with Billy Crystal and Helen Mirren - 2011)

Horror is a subjective term. I have a Mike Leigh film (Hard Labour, 1974) which is terrifying imo. The Lobster was a quirky wee flick until they go to the mall ..... eeek etc. Spoorloos is a good example of a psychological horror film imo. Avoid ****ey murican remake.

Nostro isn't allowing shorts for some reason.
Shorts have their place as a separate category vs Feature films, which are more complete.

Shorts have their place as a separate category vs Feature films, which are more complete.
That's an odd stance to take, considering your #1 animated film was a short.

That's an odd stance to take, considering your #1 animated film was a short.
No more odd than when you recently said you'd change the way you ran that list if you had it to do over again.

No more odd than when you recently said you'd change the way you ran that list if you had it to do over again.
I don't think it's odd to believe that any film that gets enough votes to make it onto a countdown deserves to be there, which is why I think shorts should be allowed in this and why I would allow hybrids if I were to redo the animation countdown.