True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I actually watched some t.v. during the week to watch the first episode

Looks to be back on track, wigs aside. Cigarette smoking is a solid
. Scoot McNairy made a couple of "palmed" drags, often a sign of someone who knows they are being watched smoking...but Dorff and M. Ali are solid lungbusters. The show seems to have meandered it's way back into the ethereal dream haze that was absent in S2. I'm saving e2 for later this week.

Thank you HBOolatto.

Loving it! Like Yoda says the make up is fantastic. These first two eps are a brilliant start, enigmatic, great characters, mysterious plot...what more do you want?!

This guy

Best supporting actor opposite M. Ali this year. So good, subtle with the accent. I've been vocal of my issues with people "portraying" characters with accents and the like, but he is on it. The lawn chair scene

Speaking of wigs

Be still, my beating heart

I also watched those first two episodes...

I’m glad to see that the style, feeling, atmosphere and general approach seems to be back to its old ways. It’s obviously miles better than the second season.

That said, I feel like it’s an extremely pretty and professional looking but slightly hollow shell we are looking at. The characters and especially the story doesn’t seem to have the same amount of depth and precisely layed out arcs and inner demons and whatnot. This is the first two episodes so obviously I can only judge from those, but there just seems to be something missing under the surface - however that surface might look (and it is extremely competent)

Maharshala Ali is extraordinary though and perfect cast. He adds the depth through his acting alone, no matter the written character. Stephen Dorff is a bit one-note and it’s clear to see his characters “place” in this next to Ali. But hopefully he’ll evolve as we go.

The aging make-up is indeed really good, but I was able to clearly see where the make-up started and ended. The patching on his forehead and around the eyes etc. I guess that’s the price we pay for having those amazing tv screens and top notch quality... it really puts weight on those make-up artists and set designers.

Anyways, I’m excited. I really enjoy what I see so far. Even if it stays maybe a little too close to the formula of the first season. It may somewhat be a copy. But what a beautiful copy. Let’s see where this goes...

Only just realised that Jeremy Saulnier only directs the first 2 episodes. He had to leave after these due to scheduling conflicts.

Really hope the rest of the team pick up where Saulnier left off.

This guy
Best supporting actor opposite M. Ali this year. So good, subtle with the accent. I've been vocal of my issues with people "portraying" characters with accents and the like, but he is on it. The lawn chair scene

Good commercial. Despite containing only water vapor, the hysterics will still come after the users.

I enjoyed the first series. Wouldn't touch the second with a bargepole due to the leads chosen. Intrigued by news of a 3rd.

I enjoyed the first series. Wouldn't touch the second with a bargepole due to the leads chosen. Intrigued by news of a 3rd.
Odd choice not to watch something that was so good just because of the change in cast. The shortcomings of season 2 certainly wasn't down to the leads or their abilities.

I'm an odd bloke. Only really warmed to Farrell during The Lobster etc.

Odd choice not to watch something that was so good just because of the change in cast. The shortcomings of season 2 certainly wasn't down to the leads or their abilities.
I loved season 2. Watched the entire thing twice.

I haven't read the thread yet but I just finished the first episode and seems like it's going to be as good as the first season. About to start the second episode, I wonder why the second season really didn't take? I guess since there was no murder there was no ominous creepy feeling which this guy seems to master in his stories.

This might just do nobody any good.
For me, season 2’s narrative foundation wasn’t strong enough to hold up its stylistic predilections.

That they lacked a performer as charismatic as McConaughey to properly deliver the existential ramblings didn’t help matters either.

For me, season 2’s narrative foundation wasn’t strong enough to hold up its stylistic predilections.
That’s quite the sentence. Guess I didn’t notice.

The break from Fukanaga didn't do S2 any favors.