Make Your Picks
The deadlines for the Noir and Neo Noir lists are TODAY! You can submit your neo noir ballot here and your noir ballot here

Best "Film" stuff on Youtube?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If you disagree with many of his ratings, then he hardly has a subjectively decent taste, right? Unless you mean decent as in barely acceptable versus actually good.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The trick is not minding
If you disagree with many of his ratings, then he hardly has a subjectively decent taste, right? Unless you mean decent as in barely acceptable versus actually good.
Yes. A lot doesnít necessarily mean all or even most of his ratings. Or even that I disagree over a film being good or not.
For whatís itís worth, he championed many foreign films, and many of the same directors you have as well in fact, and even others you didnít care for as much but still are appreciated by other cinephiles.
He wasnít perfect. But no critic, or even any cinephile, is.
I meanÖ.he didnít champion Star Crash after allÖ. Sorry, that never gets old 😎

Also, as a side note, Iím almost finished with War King Waiís films and Iím finding myself sad.
Also, side note 2: Iíve gone through so many of Herzogís films Iím starting to dig into his lesser acclaimed stuff and Iím afraid I may have gone through his best films already.
Side note 3: how would I rank Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kinoshita and Naruse? Iím starting to go more into their films and itís an interesting question and Iím not ready to make a decision yet until I go through more of their films.

Itís 3 am and I should be tired.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I meanÖ.he didnít champion Star Crash after all
And why do you think I say he's not a good cinephile? Loving Star Crash is the number one prerequisite to being a good cinephile.

Also, as a side note, Iím almost finished with War King Waiís films and Iím finding myself sad.
Don't be sad. You can always rewatch them.

Also, side note 2: Iíve gone through so many of Herzogís films Iím starting to dig into his lesser acclaimed stuff and Iím afraid I may have gone through his best films already.
Even his lesser films are good. I can recommend The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner and The White Diamond.

Side note 3: how would I rank Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kinoshita and Naruse? Iím starting to go more into their films and itís an interesting question and Iím not ready to make a decision yet until I go through more of their films.
Ranking stuff is hard. It's not that hard to pick your absolute favorite of a director, but deciding on a specific order is a tough nut to crack.

Itís 3 am and I should be tired.

A system of cells interlinked
subjectively decent taste

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My favorite channel was shut down by YouTube, so they have to start all over with a whopping 18 subscribers. They had Criterion movies mostly, including some I hadn't seen. Maybe I took a screenshot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBW...NH-4_sLFnpYg0g

The truth is in here
Siskel and Ebert both were incredible critics, not because their opinions always made complete sense or I agree with every single one of their ratings.Sometimes I love a movie that it turns out he detested or at least was gravely disappointed by. What made them special was their humanistic quality. Many others fall into the trap of ever going overly technical and keeping their emotional response at a distance, or they get so stuck on moralistic standards or the need to uphold some kind of social reputation that they come off as bitter or joyless in their analyses of films. John Simon is one of the most infamous examples of this.

But these two, even when they do kinda fall into the trap of harping on a movie's moral code it comes from a genuine place. They don't possess the mindset of needing to save a whole population from decay or dismiss an entire movie just because it hasn't aged perfectly (Which is a mistake MANY reviewers make today). They're just truly and honestly telling you what they think, and when doing so they describe their reactions in such a fascinating way that whether I agree or not they're keeping my attention.

Very rarely did you ever get the sense they're just phoning it in and uttering/writing a review only because they've been contracted to. Whenever I'm curious about kind of reception a film has received, I may check imdb and whatnot, but I will always be most attentive when listening to what they thought.

It's incredible comfort food as well. If I'm feeling down or just need some time to fill, few things will do the trick more effectively than a Siskel & Ebert review.