The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Am I that obvious?

@Sedai for the new build.
Already picked it up for free last time they had it offered, but still have yet to play it. Also picked up Disco Elysium due to people raving about it in this thread! Currently playing AC Unity cranked up to ultra, and RDR2 set at a mix of Ultra and High.

I have a new build, but not a new GPU! Those cost WAY too much atm...

Already picked it up for free last time they had it offered, but still have yet to play it. Also picked up Disco Elysium due to people raving about it in this thread! Currently playing AC Unity cranked up to ultra, and RDR2 set at a mix of Ultra and High.

I have a new build, but not a new GPU! Those cost WAY too much atm...
i lost all my saved game on AC Unity in 2016 i called ubisoft customer support about it and had an indian guy i couldnt understand him =/ hope u didnt lost ur saved game D=

i lost all my saved game on AC Unity in 2016 i called ubisoft customer support about it and had an indian guy i couldnt understand him =/ hope u didnt lost ur saved game D=
I learned my lesson a few years ago with Dark Souls 3, when I lost my saves due to Steam not cloud saving that game: I just assumed Steam would have me covered, and I did a clean Windows install on my computer. I was a sad person when i found out all my items and progress was lost forever.

This time around, I backed up all my saves from games I was playing to a USB drive before I rebuilt my machine.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I learned my lesson a few years ago with Dark Souls 3, when I lost my saves due to Steam not cloud saving that game: I just assumed Steam would have me covered, and I did a clean Windows install on my computer. I was a sad person when i found out all my items and progress was lost forever.

This time around, I backed up all my saves from games I was playing to a USB drive before I rebuilt my machine.
Wait, is this a Steam thing for all their games, or was this a fluke? My computer is a tidy number of years old, and despite various upgrades along the way, at some point I'll be buying a new one. Wouldn't want to lose progress on any of my Steam games. Ya know, I've got about 400 hours in on Stardew Valley alone.

Wait, is this a Steam thing for all their games, or was this a fluke? My computer is a tidy number of years old, and despite various upgrades along the way, at some point I'll be buying a new one. Wouldn't want to lose progress on any of my Steam games. Ya know, I've got about 400 hours in on Stardew Valley alone.
In this case I think it was a Dark Souls/Fromsoft thing, with their games not auto-syncing with Steam. Not sure how many other games don't use the feature. Just did a quick check on Stardew, and it looks like it does sync with Steam. Whew for you!

In this case I think it was a Dark Souls/Fromsoft thing, with their games not auto-syncing with Steam. Not sure how many other games don't use the feature. Just did a quick check on Stardew, and it looks like it does sync with Steam. Whew for you!
Where can one check these things individually?

how did u lost ur saves 😱. i deleted my steam kept freezing my pc. that sucks alot really bad😔. i did that with my ps5 i bought eternal hard drive to transfer my ps4 saves to it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok this is a flatscreen game first and foremost, so have my VR review

Review: Outer Wilds [Nomai VR Mod]

How to extoll the Outer Wilds without spoiling its hidden delights?

Is it great because you get all of your homely space kit at the start, from scanning tools to a rust-bucket spaceship, and are just let loose on a living world? Or because the adventure drives you to 'eureka moment' new uses out of them as you delve into its cosmic heart?

Is it because the array of planets you puzzle through are dynamic? Not just forming an ever changing backdrop of shifting influences, as they do, but transforming in turn to the beat of their own peculiar properties and hues?

Is it because the lore is layered so deeply into the game's strata that, even as you dig your own way, there are always new buried nuggets on display? Allowing you to approach mysteries from various directions, or glide past a persistent problem to alight on some fresh fascination?

Yeah, it's probably all that stuff

But if you want some negatives, they do exist here too. The nature of this clockwork orrery means that sometimes testing a theory, and executing the solution, involves a fair amount of 'travel -> wait -> act'. And if you fail, a fair amount of 'repeat' too. During the meat of the game there are normally a web of other challenges to distract you along the way, and just piloting and jetpacking through the gaudier chaos of the world means that even that process can be rewarding. But the negatives, and slight tedium, of this system do hit their apogee in the final scenarios. Which hurt the experience for me, and is something of a shame.

For the vast majority of the game, however, I started a session pursuing one basic investigation, found a kaleidoscoping spread of new leads or events instead, and it was grand . You go in to test one theory, have an adventure, come out with three more theories to explore instead. For a while it feels like the adventures might never actually end.

Doing all of this in VR was just something else. The mod is exceptional (a few minor bugs aside), with full hand control of your tools and wonderful towering scale leant to even these tiny snooker-ball worlds. If you don't quite have your VR legs then the EVA-ing and general perspective flips of the cosmic physics and mysteries may be a challenge. But if you're a VR veteran, then they're all an absolute joy

Rating: 4+

You ready? You look ready.
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is free for Prime members on PC this month.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15545023-pr...oryou_recombee
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is free for Prime members on PC this month.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15545023-pr...oryou_recombee
Thanks for this!

I will add this to my increasingly long list of stuff I haven't played yet.

And...Elden Ring is just around the corner.

I just have so little time to play anything these days, even if I have played a bit more in the past week due to the new build...

how did u lost ur saves 😱. i deleted my steam kept freezing my pc. that sucks alot really bad😔. i did that with my ps5 i bought eternal hard drive to transfer my ps4 saves to it.
I lost them because I just assumed they were backed up on Steam and I reinstalled Windows.

This time, I backed up al my local save files to a US before I rebuilt my PC, which worked out just fine. Dark Souls 3 saves are safe!

I lost them because I just assumed they were backed up on Steam and I reinstalled Windows.

This time, I backed up al my local save files to a US before I rebuilt my PC, which worked out just fine. Dark Souls 3 saves are safe!

oh that good that its safe!!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Thanks for this!

I will add this to my increasingly long list of stuff I haven't played yet.

And...Elden Ring is just around the corner.

I just have so little time to play anything these days, even if I have played a bit more in the past week due to the new build...
LOVED the tutorial level. Didn't much care for the first real level. Haven't returned since the first few days of play. But if it's free, it's free! Erm, that's the Fallen Order game I mean!

-------

I'm still having fun with Madden 20? or 21? No idea, but it's part of the EA Play sub so whatever. I've noticed Franchise mode doesn't keep past wins straight. After a quick google run last night, I found several threads where kids are complaining about winning a playoff only for the game to list their win as a loss of like random 32-0 or similar. That could just be me not knowing how to play the franchise bits. There's a lot of crap to sift through just to play a game! Same with MLB The Show. I just want to throw a ball!

I was bragging to coworkers during lunch today on how I'm going to destroy my nephew next time we play Madden. I posted a video to YouTube of about four consecutive passes and a touchdown, then texted him the link with the message, "You made a mistake getting me onto this game."

I've had gaming withdrawal for about two weeks while visiting the momma and didn't get back home until Sunday night, having planned to come back last Wednesday. Eh. Sorry for missing that D2 playthrough, you unnamed gamer. Really sorry =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Someone explain STEAM to me. Mostly just to bump the thread. I can look online but would rather get opinions.
  • Is it a subscription service? I keep hearing things like "Free on STEAM today..." or something, so I assume it must be a sub?
  • You have any issues with it?
  • Is it anything like PS+ where you have access to the free games but only for as long as you maintain the PS+ sub?
  • Is this the only online alternative for game downloads? The reason I ask, is because I went to the Disco Elysium site for a purchase, but it seems to point me to STEAM. I suppose it makes sense to use someone else's bandwidth.
  • Do you have to install an app?
  • Are purchases available to you for download to other systems? As long as you log in?
  • Do you have to open STEAM to access/play games through them? I'm thinking like Battlenet for Blizzard for comparison.
  • Seems weird, to me, all of this just to satisfy curiosity for one game. I fear this will be another gateway. I just subbed to EA Play for Madden access. I still refuse to create an account there as I have some weird principled thing against logging third party apps to access a game. Like, just let me play the danged thing already! They already have my PSN Account info... I guess it's the trade for digital access as opposed to a disc, but I never had to do such things with the disc. I'm getting old.

Steam is a program you can use to buy and manage video games. It has a store, tabs for community stuff and one for library, which is where any games you purchase end up.

It is the industry leader (though Epic Games is giving away a lot of games to try to catch up), doesn't really use up many resources, and most people just leave it open and access everything through it.

I think, technically, you can launch games directly still, but at that point there's not much reason to, since with game libraries like this they're all in one place and they log how many hours you spend in each, and they sync up saves with the cloud (when available). Pretty much all upside. But when I've tried/had to launch independently, IIRC, I've been able to.

It doesn't really lock you into Steam or anything, that I can see.

I think, technically, you can launch games directly still, but at that point there's not much reason to, since with game libraries like this they're all in one place and they log how many hours you spend in each, and they sync up saves with the cloud (when available). Pretty much all upside. But when I've tried/had to launch independently, IIRC, I've been able to.

It doesn't really lock you into Steam or anything, that I can see.
I didn't realize you could do this. I always assumed the Steam client had to be open.

@ynwtf ... Think of Steam the way you'd think of any other computer program (in a way). So, you might have Word installed on your computer, so that you can use it to open text documents. Steam is like that, used to open/play games (although you also purchase them through Steam and do other things). Each game in your library also has a discussion/forum-type page for players to ask questions and discuss the game, which is often helpful for me if I'm stuck somewhere and just need a nudge. Sometimes those discussion pages are a bit troll-ish and filled with 14-year-old boys, so they're not *always* helpful.

Also, since I am Steam "friends" with a few folks here (Yoda, Sedai, Tacitus), if I have the Steam client open, a little notification can pop up in the lower right quadrant of my screen to tell me that Yoda is now playing NERTS!