My Top 250 Movies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
THE CONVERSATION

09-25-16
I've seen this many times, and because of that, I didn't mind putting it on late at night, even though I just finished it this morning. Probably the only Coppola movie I'll ever see again in the future.

Marlon Brando was the first choice, and wonder if the movie would have got more attention. Gene Hackman is great in this though. I didn't notice Terri Garr, but I'll look for her beautiful face the next time I see this.

FIVE EASY PIECES

01-06-16
Probably the fifth time I've seen this movie. I know I didn't like this as much the first time I saw it. I put on the Director's Commentary. I had no plans on seeing this, but as I was printing out my airline tickets, I saw a cute girl right by the movie shelf so I thought of a superfluous question. I asked, "How often do they add movies to the library" and she mentioned how they don't only add new movies, and I wanted to reaffirm of my love for "older" movies. I only go to the library to print, and if there's something to watch, why not. I never saw the special features though. It's nice to see how it compares to my imagination of the movie. The only part I really disagreed with was that I found the family not condescending at all towards Rayette (Karen Black), but that while one is checking out the brother's woman, the other is at least stimulated in the opposite way to his woman. One is serious, intellectual, a bit snotty and the other is down-to-earth, honest, no pretensions, intuitive.

In the past the movie seemed a lot longer, this time it flew by. Once it got towards the end, I thought "it's already finished?" I also noticed a few times not fully listening to the commentary because I was so fixated on the movie.

I kind of identify with Robert Dupea, in that I'll always be searching, and that I don't want any attachments (wife and/or children). But I also realized that I was still "searching" even for a look, a few words with a woman I'd never met before. I could tell this librarian was almost my age, and interesting, probably didn't get into trouble, but fun to talk with. One minute I can swear up and down that I would look straight through a woman, but that's life. I went shopping too, and see the most beautiful people that I never could on TV. There was an older lady, and I tried to check her out, and noticed she didn't have any ring, and I wanted so badly to get to know her. (this is all relative to the movie, maybe that can be my contribution the reviews - digression and free association).

I was surprised to hear again that the audience cheered at the end. Any movies like this?

12 ANGRY MEN

I identify with Fonda's character very much.. I think the majority is wrong a majority of the time. Even if I was part of the majority, I would hesitate and take a second look at things..... I just was checking out a thread I created on a Political board, and .... well, they should watch this movie. If you criticize one, you must therefore be for the other. If you criticize both parties involved, then both sides despise you except a few people with counter-passions. Too many trying to score message board points in front of others, especially their clique, and the ego gets into the way of their curiosity. If I had three people who agreed with me, I could easily set a narrative, and people will follow, or at least deal with it on those terms.

THE CONVERSATION

09-25-16
I've seen this many times, and because of that, I didn't mind putting it on late at night, even though I just finished it this morning. Probably the only Coppola movie I'll ever see again in the future.

Marlon Brando was the first choice, and wonder if the movie would have got more attention. Gene Hackman is great in this though. I didn't notice Terri Garr, but I'll look for her beautiful face the next time I see this.

Would have rated this much higher

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN

01-06-15
Back to Mr. Deeds.. First, I love Gary Cooper, his integrity. Some say minimalist, I say that some people aren't very demonstrative or gesticulate. But I believe him in every role he's ever played. These are my favorite types of films - an American microcosm, there's no fancy angles, just a great movie with a great theme. Besides how money ruins things, but how people lose sight of even the things they love because they're caught up in a rat race to benefit 1% of the population. I love how even a man with his beliefs becomes a little corrupted, such as when the man asks, "Why are you feeding horses donuts when so many of your fellow man is hungry" - the man who enters the house is the same kind of man, except he wasn't lucky. It's not a skill to be born into privilege. He's totally sane, not an assassin, it's the situation him and millions of people in America (and elsewhere) were facing. It's so touching while he's eating he almost feels a sense of guilt as his family is starving at home, and asks if he could take some to feed them. He also finds out the only person really close to him is the one who betrays him. Why? For a month's vacation with pay. Money over humans.

The courtroom scene is wonderful, like every Capra courtroom scene. It's about conformity, how people are all different in their own ways. The most sane man being called crazy. Just like crazy people think others are nuts. I see the importance of this film because it seems we're almost going through the same thing, and we have the thing I'm typing on as a new distraction. The key is not to let it control us. One of those great films that either reinforce your values, or at least to consider and re-evaluate things. I highly recommend it. It usually has to take watching someone else cry on the screen to give me tears, but the word "hungry" repeated in my head, and how it was said - the greatness of acting. Could this movie be made today? As if having empathy for the working-class is decadent, or being honest, having values is "freedom-taking" - I'm hoping for a New Deal, real reform in America and throughout the world, and not to go the other way. It seems like everyone is being subdivided into groups to fight each other, divide and rule, Hegelian and Orwellian. Mr. Deeds Goes To Town (Capra) - 9/10 - I tried watching this a little over a year ago, and from the beginning it was scratching, so I took it back to the library, and it took them until now to "fix" it.

I think this is one of those films that should be mandated for every American citizen.

Capra has been one of my favorite directors, definitely the most earliest. This film has human emotions all over it, and it's done it such a great way. I almost wish I could read the original screenplay just to see what Capra thought was important to include. And by coincidence, at around 2am I was flipping around, and they had the great "You Can't Take It With You" last night. It was right at the time Grandpa goes into the tax office, and asks the man why he's there. I love it. People have been so programmed to just do what their told, go to the job, pay bills, die. "Isn't there something you'd rather be doing" and I think most people do and should try.

03-22-15
Saw it on TV this morning, nice way to start out the day. It's a film that reflects my values, even in 1936. Such an excellent film about the true meaning of life as opposed to the material conformity, as well as psychological issues - the courtroom scene is a great ending to show how each person has their own fidgets and when it's different from their own, everyone else is crazy, as shown by the two who are not "pixilated" - I also love the man who enters the home to tell Cooper what he lost, and how money has moved him away from his prior humanity.

A CHILD IS WAITING

I know Kramer had the final cut, and that Cassavetes choked him for it, but this is still a great movie, and feel it could have been much greater if J.C. would have had the last word. He wanted to concentrate on the retarded children, while Kramer wanted to highlight Lancaster and Garland (two biggest names J.C. ever worked with).

One of the most touching movies I've seen. All the performances are great, especially Garland.

BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ

02-21-15

I was thinking about San Francisco for many reasons, actually who I went and saw, and I thought a lot about you guys, hoping you saw this film. I had never even heard about it! I wouldn't have seen this film if it wasn't for an earlier recommendation.

This film was beyond amazing. I was proud of all the tears I shed for this film. I love Nashville, but I don't know if it's better than this. Might have to change my Top 10.

Hide Spoilers
WARNING: "Birdman of Alcatraz" spoilers below I loved the early scene when Bull, Stroud's guard, appears to have empathy, and to treat him like a human being, only to be treated not so much by Stroud, who is solitary confinement. Finally, Bull breaks, "I'm a man, just like you!" - you would expect this type of response by the prisoner, not the guard, and it was Bull who could have been responsible for the true rehabilitation, and he realizes it, and devotes his life to one bird by chance, and then his entire life - the empathy, wow... It was real funny when the bird was referred to as "little punk" or "yellow" - and when the bird comes back, he's told, "Too tough out there? Come back for the prison security? Bord freeloader, panhandler, too tough being on the outside. And then when a great woman comes to his rescue, and becomes a wedge between son and mom, and we find the mother's ego is stronger than her love for her son. And Stella isn't seeking publicity, she goes all the way. That's true love.... And when he confronts Malden, to say he failed at rehabilitation, which he did. Please watch this film. I'm almost tempted to run to my library to see if they have it, though I was just there yesterday.

MINNIE AND MOSKOWITZ

I first saw this in 2005, and it was THE independent movie that changed the way I looked at movies, and it was probably there I got sick of surrealism (maybe earlier after loving it at 17). I also thought how unique a movie could be simply by using an imagination, words, but feelings and a plot that doesn't have the problem/solution/twist formula. And the humor! Especially Cassavetes' mother, who is probably the funniest person ever in the movies. I would nominate her for my #1 spot on the Comedy Hall of Fame.

02-21-19
Probably the 4th time I've seen this. I saw it 14 years ago, and it was my introduction to John Cassavetes. I also remember being frustrated early on for a reason I won't mention because it might spoil, but also because it was a challenge, something totally original, but by the end of it, I liked it very much.

11-17-16
A story about a man who forces a woman to love him. This is the third time I've seen it. First time over a decade ago I was so frustrated, mostly by Seymour Cassell, but it was also the first real original movie I saw. I became a Cassavetes fan just a couple of years ago, so I gave it another chance, liked it a little bit more, but totally loved it now, even though Seymour still annoying

Hide Spoilers
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below Maybe this will get people to see it? I love when the mothers meet. John Cassavetes' mom is hilarious in everything she is. Scorsese got his first job from John, and probably used his mom in the same role.

Once this is over, I think I'll rank the movies according to reps, unless there's too many ties, so if you see a movie you like, please hit that Thumbs Up.

THE ELEPHANT MAN

08-13-15

I always loved movies, but at the age of 16 or 17, I started "studying" film.. Kubrick was my first favorite director, until this girl I met on the first day of college introduced me to David Lynch. I went out and bought the VHS (and of Eraserhead, both which I still have), and after my initial viewing, I haven't seen it since. Never thought about it until my sister mentioned how her acting teacher loves it (after she told me he loves the films I love), so I just watched it for the second time after 15 years.

Maybe there was something in my subconscious preventing me from having the desire to watch this film. I know a few people in here who won't watch a film with animal torture - well, this is a film about the torture of a human being; physically and mentally. You see what's wrong with the world watching this film, directly or indirectly. I couldn't help but think of what's been going on, and what a sick society we live in. Millions are still crying over 1 dead lion, but no one seems to flinch to the fact that right now bombs are being dropped on innocent women and children (since men don't count, one nation totally divisible), but I guess that's not popular. A stockbroker mentality for "values".

This man is exploited because of a physical deformity, to no fault of his own, just like many. Most people don't have the uniqueness of "The Elephant Man" but have other physical and/or mental characteristics that disable them from engaging in society. They don't have names like Cecil.

John Merrick finds it difficult to trust people, which is understandable. But unlike most in society, he doesn't have the chance because of his deformity to express himself, to lash out at society. As stated in the film, people are afraid of what they don't understand. Even the doctor (Hopkins) wonders if he's just like any of the other exploiters. Everyone seems to use everyone. Sometimes for good, sometimes for bad, showing the not-so-better parts of people.

The acting is great, amongst main characters such as Anthony Hopkins, but also a few minor characters. Very well directed. I highly recommend this film, and I highly recommend trying as best we can to display some humanity whenever possible.

ARIEL

This movie is so cool. Very short. 70 minutes. But damn good. I'd watch it right now if it was available on cable. I'll check in a bit.

WILD STRAWBERRIES

03-31-16
One of my favorite movies. Third time watching. Very philosophical, honest, and the trip itself is a vehicle for random relationships between strangers.

The end was so great when Isak's housekeeper makes a flirtatious remark, I actually clapped the first time I saw it. I'm sure some of his unhappiness results from the loss of his wife, and his bad relationships with the only people close to him. Maybe this is why he takes his career seriously, since it's the only place he is respected. But at that age, Isak starts to think about everything.

Isak and daughter-in-law come out with it, and realize they don't quite like each other, but that even changes.

I think the dream sequences, past experiences, and the current are made pretty clear, and essential to the story. I love when Isak can't understand compassion.

Since it's in the watch list, did anyone notice the "homage" to Fellini in "La Strada" - when the watch stops ticking? (I don't wanna say too much about it) with Basehart and then Isak.

Anyway, going to keep this brief, as I don't wanna say too much. This was on TCM, and perhaps it's ON-DEMAND?