Spam my Comedy Countdown ballot!

Tools    

I've never seen that but have always wanted to check it out.
I think David Spade was a minute success on SNL and I don't want to speak like it's some misunderstood masterpiece, comedy is a hard genre to pin down, but it's always been a favorite and one I can revisit often.

I think David Spade was a minute success on SNL and I don't want to speak like it's some misunderstood masterpiece, comedy is a hard genre to pin down, but it's always been a favorite and one I can revisit often.
I use to watch SNL back in the day and Spade was a favorite of mine along with Chris Farley...so yeah I might like Joe Dirt!

[The Loved One]
I had my eye on that, it does have a great cast...I just wasn't sure if I wanted to watch a film about funerals...but I might watch it.
Heh. I think you'll like the humor, even though it's 60 years old... Actually I don't believe the film shows one funeral. It satirizes the business of funerals; even pet funerals!..

Heh. I think you'll like the humor, even though it's 60 years old... Actually I don't believe the film shows one funeral. It satirizes the business of funerals; even pet funerals!..
OK then I'll try and watch it...it is the only other Robert Morse comedy I can find in decent video quality. He made a couple others that I found but I draw the line when I can't make out faces

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
Director & Writer: Woody Allen

Wow! This was such a well crafted film. It was so well crafted that it felt more like I was secretly following these people around as oppose to just watching them on my TV...That's rare for a movie to feel that way to me. Woody really has an eye for direction. The camera work is not overly fancy so it never seems like he's shooting to impress. Instead he focuses on whatever makes the story move along. Everything feels intimately real. The writing here too is near perfect. Interestingly this is not the nervous, bumbling, intellectual Woody Allen we're so use to seeing in his films. Here Woody's character is well grounded, even confident...he's both bitter over his lack luster film making career and envious of his wife's brother's (Alan Alada) huge success in TV as a producer.

There are two stories going on in this film and unlike most films the characters are not interconnect and the story is not interwoven by events. Only at the very end does Woody have a chance meeting with Martin Landau who's being blackmailed by the redhead in that screen shot.

This is labeled a comedy drama, but it's really straight drama with some humorous moments. This isn't Bananas or Play it Again Sam...it's Allen as his best!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	crimes-and-misdemeanors-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	87077  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
Director & Writer: Woody Allen

Wow! This was such a well crafted film. It was so well crafted that it felt more like I was secretly following these people around as oppose to just watching them on my TV...That's rare for a movie to feel that way to me. Woody really has an eye for direction. The camera work is not overly fancy so it never seems like he's shooting to impress. Instead he focuses on whatever makes the story move along. Everything feels intimately real. The writing here too is near perfect. Interestingly this is not the nervous, bumbling, intellectual Woody Allen we're so use to seeing in his films. Here Woody's character is well grounded, even confident...he's both bitter over his lack luster film making career and envious of his wife's brother's (Alan Alada) huge success in TV as a producer.

There are two stories going on in this film and unlike most films the characters are not interconnect and the story is not interwoven by events. Only at the very end does Woody have a chance meeting with Martin Landau who's being blackmailed by the redhead in that screen shot.

This is labeled a comedy drama, but it's really straight drama with some humorous moments. This isn't Bananas or Play it Again Sam...it's Allen as his best!

I watched Crimes and Misdemeanors a while back when I was watching some Woody Allen movies, and I agree that it's a very good movie, but I don't consider it a comedy.

I've been reading a lot of top comedy movie lists to find movies to watch for this countdown, and the Woody Allen movies that seem to appear on multiple lists are:

Take the Money and Run (1969)
Bananas (1971)
Play It Again, Sam (1972)
Broadway Danny Rose (1984)

I watched Crimes and Misdemeanors a while back when I was watching some Woody Allen movies, and I agree that it's a very good movie, but I don't consider it a comedy.

I've been reading a lot of top comedy movie lists to find movies to watch for this countdown, and the Woody Allen movies that seem to appear on multiple lists are:

Take the Money and Run (1969)
Bananas (1971)
Play It Again, Sam (1972)
Broadway Danny Rose (1984)
Thanks GBG, I seen Take the Money and Run & Play it Again, Sam and you're right both were pretty funny. I'll watch Broadway Danny Rose soon and post back about it. Thanks for the recs

@Citizen Rules
I know that you like John Candy, so I watched a few of his movies for this countdown. There were a couple of good movies that I thought I'd mention, just in case somehow you missed them.

Only the Lonely (1991) is probably more romance than comedy, so it's not likely to make my comedy list, but I enjoyed the movie, so I wanted to mention it to you.

Once Upon a Crime... (1992) is more of an ensemble movie than a John Candy movie, but it's a lot of fun.

One more Robert Morse film watched...

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)

According to IMDB's trivia page:
'this is one of very few films from the mid-century MGM library that appears to be lost, outside of privately circulated, poorly reproduced bootleg copies.'

And that's what I seen a poorer video copy of this Doris Day-Robert Morse film. But it was good enough to enjoy the movie. It's like many mid to late 1960s comedies, big on circumstances and antics with lots of craziness!

The idea is NYC has a huge blackout which causes small changes in the everyday lives of the people involved, resulting in a Broadway star (Doris Day) leaving the theater early and so ends up catching her husband cheating...This black out also causes an embezzler (Robert Morse) who just stole millions to have a chance meeting with the Broadway star who's sulking in her country home. They don't see each other at first in the house. Robert Morse then accidentally drinks some sleeping drops put into a glass of water which makes him fall asleep next to Doris who's also taken some sleeping drops...oh those 60s doctors! Anyway then the cheating husband finds them togehter and well a whole bunch of fun stuff happens as a result.

A funny film, to bad it's so hard to find.
Attachments

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-05-10 18-16-27.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	87113  

@Citizen Rules
I know that you like John Candy, so I watched a few of his movies for this countdown. There were a couple of good movies that I thought I'd mention, just in case somehow you missed them.

Only the Lonely (1991) is probably more romance than comedy, so it's not likely to make my comedy list, but I enjoyed the movie, so I wanted to mention it to you.

Once Upon a Crime... (1992) is more of an ensemble movie than a John Candy movie, but it's a lot of fun.
Thanks...Only the Lonely is a really good film, I'd even say it's touching. I believe it was Maureen O'Hara's last movie, that's off the top of my head. I liked Once Upon a Crime too, my favorite segment was with Sean Young. I'd say my favorite John Candy films are Summer Rental and Canadian Bacon.

Thanks GBG, I seen Take the Money and Run & Play it Again, Sam and you're right both were pretty funny. I'll watch Broadway Danny Rose soon and post back about it. Thanks for the recs
Have you seen Sleeper? (Woody's only sci-fi comedy.) Since you are a sci-fi fan.
(And sorry if you've told me in the past - seems we discussed Woody Allen films a long long time ago!)

Have you seen Sleeper? (Woody's only sci-fi comedy.) Since you are a sci-fi fan.
(And sorry if you've told me in the past - seems we discussed Woody Allen films a long long time ago!)
That's OK, my memory is...well I forgot what I was going to say about my memory Geez, I don't know if we talked about it, but yeah I do want to watch Sleeper. I did see it once but like when I was in Jr. High...way back during the Revolutionary War

Actually I plan on watching all of Woody Allen films at some point as I've become a fan of his. Some years ago you couldn't pay me to watch one of his movies.

I was thinking, if I were to recommend teen / high school / college comedies, I wouldn't know where to start.

But actually, yes I would = Revenge of the Nerds (1984).
I was reminded because I caught a bit of it the other night.

I have a certain affinity for this movie for a couple reasons - when I was a teenager I felt "stepped on, left out, picked on, put down", in other words, I was a nerd. Also, this movie came out when I was in college so it was just very relatable.

Some of it is cringe-worthy, some of it is a bit dirtier than I remember, but much of it is still laugh-out-loud funny.

I would even go out on limb to say, as college comedies go, I like Revenge of the Nerds better than Animal House!

Not a hugely well-known ensemble cast (most became more famous afterwards), but the adults are noteworthy: John Goodman, David Wohl, Bernie Casey and a small part for James Cromwell.

Phffft (Mark Robson, 1954)

I watched this 1954 B&W comedy last night. It starred Judy Holiday and Jack Lemmon with the supporting cast of Jack Carson and Kim Novak. So right there it's sounding pretty good! The story and screenplay was written by George Axelrod, a noted Broadway writer and famous for penning The Seven Year Itch, Breakfast at Tiffany's and the underground comedy Lord Love a Duck. With such lineage one would expect this movie to be funny...and it was! I liked it, it was an easy watch, fast paced with characters who were easy to relate too. I liked it so much I think I'll watch the rest of Judy Holiday's filmography.
Attachments

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-05-11 19-12-59.png
Views:	185
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	87133  

Thanks...Only the Lonely is a really good film, I'd even say it's touching. I believe it was Maureen O'Hara's last movie, that's off the top of my head. I liked Once Upon a Crime too, my favorite segment was with Sean Young. I'd say my favorite John Candy films are Summer Rental and Canadian Bacon.

I haven't seen Summer Rental or Canadian Bacon yet. I've been watching his movies as they show up on the cable movie channels, but I'll try to find these two before I finish my comedy list.

I saw Sleeper many years ago, but I haven't seen it recently.

I'm pretty sure that Hubby has it on DVD, so I might try to watch it before the countdown. So far I haven't found any Woody Allen films that are funny enough to make my list, but I'm still trying. (I like some of his movies, but I would consider them good movies, but not necessarily good comedies.)

That's OK, my memory is...well I forgot what I was going to say about my memory Geez, I don't know if we talked about it, but yeah I do want to watch Sleeper. I did see it once but like when I was in Jr. High...way back during the Revolutionary War

Actually I plan on watching all of Woody Allen films at some point as I've become a fan of his. Some years ago you couldn't pay me to watch one of his movies.

I wasn't a fan of Woody Allen either, but then I saw Bullets Over Broadway for a HoF and I liked it, so I decided to give his movies a chance.

Since then, I've seen these movies that I liked, but as movies, not specifically as comedies:

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
Radio Days (1987)
Scoop (2006)
Midnight in Paris (2011)

I was thinking, if I were to recommend teen / high school / college comedies, I wouldn't know where to start.

But actually, yes I would = Revenge of the Nerds (1984).
I was reminded because I caught a bit of it the other night.

I have a certain affinity for this movie for a couple reasons - when I was a teenager I felt "stepped on, left out, picked on, put down", in other words, I was a nerd. Also, this movie came out when I was in college so it was just very relatable.

Some of it is cringe-worthy, some of it is a bit dirtier than I remember, but much of it is still laugh-out-loud funny.

I would even go out on limb to say, as college comedies go, I like Revenge of the Nerds better than Animal House!

Not a hugely well-known ensemble cast (most became more famous afterwards), but the adults are noteworthy: John Goodman, David Wohl, Bernie Casey and a small part for James Cromwell.

I like some teen movies, but I'm not really of fan of the ones where the teens are partying all the time and causing trouble. I prefer movies that have a better story, like The Karate Kid, Tex, My Bodyguard, etc., but most of them aren't really funny enough to consider them comedies.

When I was younger, I liked Up the Academy and Zapped, but I doubt either of those movie would stand the test of time.