Spam my Comedy Countdown ballot!

Tools    

I really want to see this again!
If I remember correctly, it's got another huge cast list as each vignette between Robert Morse's narration features many of the biggest (and lots of not so big) stars from the 60's!
Yeah tons of stars, that was the funnest part of it, spotting the stars. A not so fun fact is, it was Jayne Mansfields' last movie, she would be killed in a traffic accident within a year.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have no interest in watching any of the Batman movies other than the 1966 one! I did see the first couple Michael Keaton Batman movies and liked those OK, but haven't seen any others.
I've seen most of the other Batman movies, but I'm not really a fan of them. I liked Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne, but I don't understand why people loved Christian Bale as Batman.

Last night on Batman season 2 I seen Sammy Davis jr. before that I seen Jerry Lewis along with a slew of famous stars. I didn't realize that the original tv series had so many guest star appearances.
"Batman" was the show that everyone wanted to be a guest star on back in the 60s. My favorites were the window cameos.

I'm still watching comedies and have seen three more since I last posted, yeah me Lately I've been on a Robert Morse kick. So far I've been focusing on his earlier films and have seen him in:
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967)
A Guide for the Married Man (1967)

So after liking those films I checked out Boatniks (1970) a Disney movie with Morse as:
newly assigned to duty in the coast guard at Newport Beach, a young ensign finds himself involved in romantic complications, as well as with jewel thieves, whose antics contribute to moments of hysteria and hilarity.
This was a neat film with a young Stefanie Powers who runs a boat rental at the local marina being the girl that Robert Morse literally falls for...At first he knocks a can of paint over her, which doesn't impress her! What's neat is a lot of this takes place in the harbor with actual filming of boats and even a mini sub...Boatniks has lots of comic talent with some humorous bumbling jewel thieves.
55 second trailer:

The Boatniks is exactly why Ron Howard was so reluctant to make Splash with Disney. He specifically named it with fear as the level of live-action movie they had been pooping out in the 1970s. They assured him the new Touchstone imprint would be different. Thank goodness it was.

The Boatniks is about on par with an average episode of "Gilligan's Island" or "McHale's Navy", comedy wise. And in case you are unclear, that is not a compliment.

This list is going to be a disaster.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Last night I watched a really good one...Quick, Before It Melts (1964) with Robert Morse doing a sorta reprisal of his bumbling, incompetent employee character from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Though this movie takes quite a different turn when he's sent as a reporter to the South Pole as a punishment by his boss who happens to also be the father of his girlfriend.

Before he gets to the Antarctic he has a layover in New Zealand where he chums with a photographer who has an eye for the ladies...or... actually the ladies have an eye for the photographer as he's considered quite handsome. This of course allows for a lot of comedy as Morse away from his controlling boss and nitpicking girlfriend learns to stand on his own two feet, then meets a pretty airline hostess and gets into hilarious bar fight.

Then onto the South Pole where they had some real footage of the ice and some fun sets and maybe the best part was Milton Fox the penguin that delivers the mail. So I really dug this film. @gbgoodies my wife really liked this one, I bet you might too.
It's available for free on Youtube in 13 parts.

Part 1 (8 minutes long)

The Boatniks is exactly why Ron Howard was so reluctant to make Splash with Disney. He specifically named it with fear as the level of live-action movie they had been pooping out in the 1970s. They assured him the new Touchstone imprint would be different. Thank goodness it was.

The Boatniks is about on par with an average episode of "Gilligan's Island" or "McHale's Navy", comedy wise. And in case you are unclear, that is not a compliment.

This list is going to be a disaster.
Goodbye

If you like Dirty Rotten Scoundrel's you should check out the original which was entitle "A Bedtime Story" starring Marlon Brando and David Niven;.
Thanks Diehl...I'm still plugging away watching comedies. I'll be sending in my list right before the deadline.

I'm holding on to mine until the last minute. There is so much I have not seen.
I hear ya, I still want to watch more Woody Allen. I loved Play, It Again Sam.

Which of these Allen comedy films would you recommend I watch? *I know some of these aren't comedies but I didn't feel like taking the time to research each one.

2012 To Rome with Love
2010 You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
2009 Whatever Works
2008 Vicky Cristina Barcelona
2007 Cassandra's Dream
2006 Scoop
2004 Melinda and Melinda
2003 Anything Else
2002 Hollywood Ending
2001 The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
2000 Small Time Crooks
1999 Sweet and Lowdown
1998 Celebrity
1997 Deconstructing Harry
1996 Everyone Says I Love You
1995 Mighty Aphrodite
1994 Bullets Over Broadway
1992 Husbands and Wives
1991 Shadows and Fog
1990 Alice
1989 Crimes and Misdemeanors
1988 Another Woman
1987 September
1984 Broadway Danny Rose
1982 A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
1980 Stardust Memories
1978 Interiors
1975 Love and Death
1973 Sleeper
1972 Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask
1971 Bananas
1966 What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Mighty Aphrodite
Crimes and Misdemeanors
A Midsummer Sex Comedy
Stardust Memories ( ithk this is Woody's homage to Fellini.)

I'm assuming you have seen Hannah and Her Sisters and The Purple Rose of Cairo because they are not on your list. If you have not seen them I'd recommend those first.

I hear ya, I still want to watch more Woody Allen. I loved Play, It Again Sam.

Which of these Allen comedy films would you recommend I watch? *I know some of these aren't comedies but I didn't feel like taking the time to research each one.

2012 To Rome with Love
2009 Whatever Works
2007 Cassandra's Dream
2006 Scoop
2004 Melinda and Melinda
2003 Anything Else
2002 Hollywood Ending
2001 The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
2000 Small Time Crooks
1999 Sweet and Lowdown
1998 Celebrity
1996 Everyone Says I Love You
1995 Mighty Aphrodite
1994 Bullets Over Broadway
1992 Husbands and Wives
1991 Shadows and Fog
1990 Alice
1989 Crimes and Misdemeanors
1988 Another Woman
1987 September
1984 Broadway Danny Rose
1982 A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
1980 Stardust Memories
1978 Interiors
1975 Love and Death
1973 Sleeper
1972 Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask
1971 Bananas
1966 What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Mighty Aphrodite
Crimes and Misdemeanors
A Midsummer Sex Comedy
Stardust Memories ( ithk this is Woody's homage to Fellini.)

I'm assuming you have seen Hannah and Her Sisters and The Purple Rose of Cairo because they are not on your list. If you have not seen them I'd recommend those first.
Yup I've seen Hannah and Her Sisters and The Purple Rose of Cairo. Thanks for your recommendations. I'll pick one of those and watch it right away and try to catch more of those before the deadline.

I'm still watching comedies and have seen three more since I last posted, yeah me Lately I've been on a Robert Morse kick. So far I've been focusing on his earlier films and have seen him in:
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967)
A Guide for the Married Man (1967)

So after liking those films I checked out Boatniks (1970) a Disney movie with Morse as:
This was a neat film with a young Stefanie Powers who runs a boat rental at the local marina being the girl that Robert Morse literally falls for...At first he knocks a can of paint over her, which doesn't impress her! What's neat is a lot of this takes place in the harbor with actual filming of boats and even a mini sub...Boatniks has lots of comic talent with some humorous bumbling jewel thieves.
55 second trailer:
One of my favorite films that Morse was in is The Loved One (1965)-- a dark comedy satire on the funeral business.

Had a great cast with perfect cameos by Milton Berle, Liberace, James Coburn, and others. Morse, Jonathan Winters, Rod Steiger, Anjanette Comer, and John Gielgud. The screenplay was based on a wicked novel of the same name by Brit Evelyn Waugh. Wonderful film.

One of my favorite films that Morse was in is The Loved One (1965)-- a dark comedy satire on the funeral business.

Had a great cast with perfect cameos by Milton Berle, Liberace, James Coburn, and others. Morse, Jonathan Winters, Rod Steiger, Anjanette Comer, and John Gielgud. The screenplay was based on a wicked novel of the same name by Brit Evelyn Waugh. Wonderful film.
For some reason I always thought that Jackie Gleason was in The Loved One.

I realize why I thought that now... because Jonathan Winters is in it, and on an episode of the Twilight Zone, Winters played a Minnesota Fats type character (his character was even nicknamed "Fats") and of course Jackie Gleason portrayed Minnesota Fats in The Hustler (1961).
Basically, I confused Winters with Gleason because they both portrayed pool players called "Fats."

Much thanks because (as something of a Robert Morse fan) I've never even heard of Boatniks or Quick Before It Melts!
Stay tuned, because I seen two more of Morse's films. I'm becoming a fan too!

I had my eye on that, it does have a great cast...I just wasn't sure if I wanted to watch a film about funerals...but I might watch it.

I've seen yet another couple of Robert Morse's comedy films...

The Matchmaker (1958)

This was a fun little period piece set in Yonkers & New York City in 1884. It's the original non-musical version of Hello Dolly, with Shirley Booth playing Dolly the matchmaker, who's really out of money and out to land a lonely but cantankerous Yonkers business man. Anthony Perkins and Robert Morse are his two over worked store clerks who ditch work and head off to the big apple for some excitement...Their goal is to have a grand adventure and maybe even kiss a girl

With only a few bucks in their poor pockets they spot a young woman in a hat store, Shirley MacLlaine...they are smitten. This is actually a pretty darn funny situation comedy as Morse and Perkins do have an adventure when they pretend to be rich and take Shirley MacLaine and her friend out to dinner in the most expensive restaurant in NYC...Oh and they still don't have any money! Hi-jinks ensue.

The Matchmaker is more of an Anthony Perkins & Shirley MacLaine film with Robert Morse and Shirley Booth still being a large part of the film.

------------------------
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Honeymoon Hotel (1964)

"Jay Menlow (Robert Morse) is jilted at the altar by his fiancée, Cynthia Hampton. His pal, Ross Kingsley (Robert Goulet), persuades him to use his reserved-in-advance accommodations at the Boca Roca Hotel which is for honeymooners only..."

This was a fun film, not my favorite Morse film but you do get Nancy Kwan costarring...and Jill St.John too...not to shabby!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-05-04 18-22-39.png
Views:	91
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	87013   Click image for larger version

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	87014   Click image for larger version

Name:	honeymoon_hotel_1964.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	87015  

I've heard of The Matchmaker with Shirley Booth (but have never seen it). I didn't know Robert Morse was in it.
(My favorite Hello Dolly version is the one with Barbara Streisand, but I'm biased since I haven't seen all the others).

Honeymoon Hotel struck a nerve because I'd forgotten about this film - but once I saw the synopsis & photos I remember seeing it long ago.

I wonder if teaming up Goulet & Morse was yet another attempt at recreating the Martin & Lewis dynamic? It's been tried many times including the duo of Allen & Rossi: they all included a tall, swarthy crooner as a straight man teamed up with a more humorous or zany side-kick.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

2012 To Rome with Love
2009 Whatever Works
You gave a long list from which 95% are must see masterpieces.
In connection with the current comedy countdown, I'd point out the above titles as outstanding works in the fields of satire and comedy.
I watch all of them almost every year since their release.

Joe Dirt was another classic that completely slipped my mind when submitting my ballot. Hopefully more people will vote for it.