The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Yes Jaws wins! That was my #1 choice and I feel it was a perfectly crafted film.

I had Apocalypse Now as my last place choice. As I said in my review the first 45 minutes was such amazing film making that I compared it to Orson Welles' Citizen Kane, but then the film went downhill in the third act and seemed unfocused, like Coppola was struggling to shoot footage. Not surprising as Coppola had said he struggled with the film. I'm not really down with the animal mutilation either, but that wasn't the deciding factor for my ballot placement.

1 Apocalypse Now
2 Raiders of the Lost Ark
3 Jaws
4 Demons
5 True Romance
6 Baby Face
7 One Cut of the Dead
8 The Secret of Roan Inish
9 Cure
10 Midnight Cowboy
11 Mad Love
12 Thunder Road
13 Magical Girl
14 Dolores Claiborne
15 Safety Last!
16 My Dog Skip
Who did you submit your ballot to?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Probably for PC reasons I have to say the talk about Indy being a pedophile because a writer once brainstormed and then rejected the idea that Marion was underage when they had a relationship, was shi* talk.

If it's not in the film then it didn't happen. Just because some writer had some ideas that were later ditched, it doesn't then translate into a fictional character being a pedophile.
that was a strange turn of events.

1. Shura
2. Midnight Cowboy
3. True Romance
4. Magical Girl
5. Apocalypse Now
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
7. The Secret of Roan Inish
8. Jaws
9. One Cut of the Dead
10. Dolores Claiborne
11. Cure
12. Baby Face
13. Thunder Road
14. Mad Love
15. Safety Last
16. My Dog Skip

Thank you Ed!!

My ballot

1 Jaws (1975)
2 Baby Face (1933)
3 Midnight Cowboy (1969)
4 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
5 The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)
6 One Cut of the Dead (2017)
7 Safety Last! (1923)
8 Dolores Claiborne (1995)
9 Magical Girl (2014)
10 Thunder Road (2018)
11 My Dog Skip (2000)
12 True Romance (1993)
13 Mad Love (1985)
14 Demons (Shura) (1971)
15 Cure (1997)
16 Apocalypse Now (1979)

Probably for PC reasons I have to say the talk about Indy being a pedophile because a writer once brainstormed and then rejected the idea that Marion was underage when they had a relationship, was shi* talk.

If it's not in the film then it didn't happen. Just because some writer had some ideas that were later ditched, it doesn't then translate into a fictional character being a pedophile.
Um, it is in the film? (And LOL at the idea that Spielberg AND Lucas are "some writer").

Anyway, I'm not the person who had it last, and my issues with the film extended beyond the lines "I was a child" and "You knew what you were doing."

Thank You ED! I enjoyed this HoF and had a blast during the reveal!

One of the funnest reveals for me in a long time. You guys all rock! and I hope everyone of you will join the 28th...which we need to start as I want to watch some films!

CONGRATS to Phoenix!!! Jaws is deserving to be inducted into the Hall of Fame Movie Archives.

Yes, this was fun. We laughed together and cried together and became closer than ever, like one big happy dysfunctional family.

Um, it is in the film? (And LOL at the idea that Spielberg AND Lucas are "some writer").

Anyway, I'm not the person who had it last, and my issues with the film extended beyond the lines "I was a child" and "You knew what you were doing."
I'm fine if someone doesn't like the movie because it was boring, predictable, cliched, etc, etc, etc.

But Indy was a professor at college and Marion a student at that college which would mean she's not a child. Just because she used the world child doesn't mean she was 10 years old at the time. Anyway I'm not arguing it all night, so that's my last word.

I was hoping for a better result than that, but #7 isn't too bad. Here's my ballot:

1. True Romance
2. Midnight Cowboy
3. Baby Face
4. Jaws
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. Dolores Claiborne
7. Cure
8. One Cut of the Dead
9. Magical Girl
10. Demons
11. The Secret of Roan Inish
12. Thunder Road
13. Mad Love
14. My Dog Skip
15. Apocalypse Now
16. Safety Last!

Thanks @edarsenal for hosting!

As is normal (but not necessarily usual in my case), I was sleeping during the reveal. It feels surreal not to see my own nomination near or at the bottom

There was only one film I really hate and three that I consider great. I didn't find any new favorites but got some well-deserved rewatches done. Looking at the results, I wish Apocalypse Now had won but maybe Jaws was the favorite from the beginning.

01: Demons
02: Apocalypse Now
03: Cure
04: Raiders of the Lost Ark
05: Jaws
06: The Secret of Roan Inish
07: Midnight Cowboy
08: One Cut of the Dead
09: Dolores Claiborne
10: Mad Love
11: True Romance
12: Magical Girl
13: Baby Face
14: Safety Last!
15: My Dog Skip
16: Thunder Road

Let the night air cool you off
1. Apocalypse Now
2. Demons
3. Jaws
4. Cure
5. The Secret of Roan Inish
6. True Romance
7. Midnight Cowboy
8. Raiders of the Lost Ark
9. One Cut of the Dead
10. Thunder Road
11. Safety Last
12. Magical Girl
13. Mad Love
14. Baby Face
15. Dolores Claiborne
16. My Dog Skip

Jaws deserved to get in at some point, so now is a fine time. I'd still like to see Apocalypse Now get in there at some point. Happy to see Demons perform well. Roan Inish was a really nice surprise.

I forgot the opening line.
I did it!!

Thanks all - I couldn't make it here any earlier due to the time difference, but I was following the count in snippets on my phone when I could. Last Hall of Fame I came last, so I'm glad I have one up there. Now I feel absolutely free to nominate something more obscure and risky, I'm satisfied enough even if I never win another Hall of Fame in the future.

1. Jaws
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Midnight Cowboy
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Magical Girl
6. Shura (Demons)
7. True Romance
8. Cure
9. One Cut of the Dead
10. Safety Last!
11. Thunder Road
12. Baby Face
13. Dolores Claiborne
14. L'Amour Braque
15. The Secret of Roan Inish
16. My Dog Skip

Sorry - there are some really excellent films low on the list - but when most of the films are good I have no other option.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I was asleep while the reveal happened, but I don't think I have anything new to say about any of the nominations, and there weren't any real surprises, so I probably wouldn't have contributed much to the conversation anyway haha.

My top 2 were solid, but #3-8 really could've gone in any order. I shuffled them around a lot while trying to finalize my ballot and I'm still not totally happy with it, but it's too late now haha. Similarly, #9-13 could all swap places, but I'm slightly more confident in the order I landed on for those.

My Ballot:
01. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
02. Jaws (1975)
03. Apocalypse Now (1979)
04. One Cut of the Dead (2017)
05. Demons (1971)
06. Baby Face (1933)
07. Cure (1997)
08. Midnight Cowboy (1969)
09. Dolores Claiborne (1995)
10. True Romance (1993)
11. Magical Girl (2014)
12. Thunder Road (2018)
13. Safety Last! (1923)
14. The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)
15. My Dog Skip (2000)
16. Mad Love (1985)

This was a great Hall of Fame, with a nice variety of films. Ed did a great job hosting as always (even if he did forget about me and cricket that one time haha ). Congrats to Phoenix for picking a great nomination!

I'm not sure I did it first. Cosmic Runaway might deserve the credit, I think she did it first. She should host again as she does such a nice job of it.
Thanks! I think you might be right, but I was inspired by whatever Countdown was happening (or had recently happened) around the time I hosted the Foreign Language HoF, so while it may have been a Hall of Fame first, it wasn't a completely original concept.

I had a lot of fun hosting the Fantasy and 2nd Sci-Fi HoFs, and I'd definitely like to do another themed one, but I don't have any ideas haha.

hey all just seeing the results now here was my ballot

01. L'amour braque
02. Thunder Road
03. Cure
04. Baby Face
05. Midnight Cowboy
06. Shura
07. Apocalypse Now
08. The Secret of Roan Inish
09. My Dog Skip
10. Safety Last
11. Jaws
12. One Cut of the Dead
13. Dolores Claiborne
14. Magical Girl
15. Raiders of the Lost Ark
16. True Romance

lol, i accurately predicted i'd put My Dog Skip middle of the ballot, above most of the classics.