Oscar's Best Animated Feature 2022

Tools    

The next Best Animated Feature will be...?
66.67%
8 votes
Encanto
0%
0 votes
Flee
8.33%
1 votes
Luca
16.67%
2 votes
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
8.33%
1 votes
Raya and the Last Dragon
12 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five nominees are...

Encanto
Flee
Luca
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Raya and the Last Dragon
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Jonas Poher Rasmussen's Flee is the fist film ever nominated for Best Animated Feature, Best International Feature, and Best Documentary Feature. The Animated Feature award is only twenty years old, but it is still a rare and interesting intersection of eligibilities that it rose to the top of.

I don't think I'd heard of Flee before now. It looks great, gonna give it a watch soon.

As for the others, kind of a ho-hum group. I hated what I saw of Mitchells Vs. the Machines and couldn't even finish it. I liked some aspects of both Encanto and Raya, but didn't really like them overall. Luca was fun, but way too light on the emotions for a Pixar flick.

I gave my vote to Luca because I liked it best, but I kind of suspect Encanto will take it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Only seen Luca and Raya. Liked both but didn't love either.

Yup, Flee looks great and I'll get around to Encanto before Oscars.

My daughter loves Encanto. I thought it was okay. Luca and Mitchells were better films. Encanto will win it though based on its popularity
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I've since seen Flee, which I thought was amazing, but I don't see it winning, even though it deserves it, the most original thing I've seen onscreen all year.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I saw Mitchells vs The Machines today and thought it was pretty good. Kind of like The Incredibles mixed with The Lego Movie. There were a few times I laughed out loud. It was a bit annoying how they kept insisting on how 'quirky' and 'dysfunctional' this really very functional and emotionally literate typically nuclear family were. Still, I liked it better than any of the Disney offerings this year.

Unsurprisingly, Disney's Encanto did win Best Animated Feature. That makes fifteen wins out of the twenty-one years of this category for Disney/Pixar (71%). In two of the years Disney/Pixar did not win they did not have a film nominated, meaning when there is a Disney/Pixar production on the ballot they win 79% of the time. The six non-Disney/Pixar winners so far are Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Rango, Happy Feet, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Spirited Away, and Shrek.

I don't think I'd heard of Flee before now. It looks great, gonna give it a watch soon.

As for the others, kind of a ho-hum group. I hated what I saw of Mitchells Vs. the Machines and couldn't even finish it. I liked some aspects of both Encanto and Raya, but didn't really like them overall. Luca was fun, but way too light on the emotions for a Pixar flick.

I gave my vote to Luca because I liked it best, but I kind of suspect Encanto will take it.
Flee was a amazing, highly recommend it.