A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

It always dies down after October. If we want a conversation starter I’m planning on participating in the 100 best films of the aughts over in the other forum and The Descent is probably gonna be pretty high on my list. Any other horror I should consider? I’m blanking on wtf came out that decade.
Repeating from what several others have said, but here are the horror (or horror-adjacent films) I love from 2000-2009

The Cell
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
Antichrist
The Descent
The Others
Let the Right One In
Trick R Treat
Slither
The Host
REC
Dog Soldiers
Ginger Snaps
The Orphanage
A Tale of Two Sisters
May
The Devil's Backbone
Lake Mungo
Black Water
Pulse
Shadow of the Vampire
Session 9
Severance
Behind the Mask
Below
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
Hellbent
End of the Line
Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary

I'm finding the idea of doing a favorite list from the aughts to be painful. Usually lists write themselves for me (ie. no thought). But this is forcing me to remember what I've been most fond of recently (ie. twenty years ago).

If I do a list for it, it will only be under the terms that I put in close to zero effort. It's the only way I ever get anything done.

I'm finding the idea of doing a favorite list from the aughts to be painful. Usually lists write themselves for me (ie. no thought). But this is forcing me to remember what I've been most fond of recently (ie. twenty years ago).

If I do a list for it, it will only be under the terms that I put in close to zero effort. It's the only way I ever get anything done.
Kinda same. The aughts don’t have a lot of movies I’m super passionate about so it’s hard to fill out 25 with favorites. At the moment my list is full of a bunch of horror, Pixar and Tarantino movies lol.

I went into IMDB and did a search for all films I'd rated between 2000 and 2009. Then I started putting anything I rated a 9 or 10 on the list. Then when I got to 25 films, I'd axe one if I thought I had something better. I just went with my heart, aka probably most of the films on my list will not make the countdown and I bet my #1 either won't be on the countdown or will place really low. Oh well.

Victim of The Night
Kinda same. The aughts don’t have a lot of movies I’m super passionate about so it’s hard to fill out 25 with favorites. At the moment my list is full of a bunch of horror, Pixar and Tarantino movies lol.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised at how slim the pickin's were. I got to 19 and ran outta movies I felt that strongly about so then I just slipped a few personal faves on at the end. And maybe one that didn't really do that much for me but everyone says is one of the best films, if not the best of the decade.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at how slim the pickin's were. I got to 19 and ran outta movies I felt that strongly about so then I just slipped a few personal faves on at the end. And maybe one that didn't really do that much for me but everyone says is one of the best films, if not the best of the decade.
I probably had about 40 films I felt strongly about, including things I don't think many people have seen, like Lilya-4-Ever, which I consider to be essential viewing.

I got to about 50 in a half hour of thinking about it. I guess I just watch better movies than you guys. The hardest part is making sure that the top 15 isn't entirely Coen, Andersons and Kaufman films.

I know I mentioned this previously, but I really can’t wait to see your personal top 100 from the aughts. I know you’ll wait to unveil it after the sites countdown, but really, it’s the honorable mentions that you add in that stand out.
I appreciate it, but I don't know what I'm going to do. The thing about the 00s is that there's a lot of great gems tucked in there. I think these lists solely on horror films shows how easy it would be to compile a list of those alone. It's daunting to find places for a broader swath of eclectic favorites like Intacto, Demonlover, The Fall, Hedwig, Gerry, Good Shepard, Wendy and Lucy, 8 Women, Moon, Death to Smoochy, Amores Perros, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and....seriously, I could fill a bucket off the top of my head. I have no idea how this couldn't be difficult.

The trick is not minding
I appreciate it, but I don't know what I'm going to do. The thing about the 00s is that there's a lot of great gems tucked in there. I think these lists solely on horror films shows how easy it would be to compile a list of those alone. It's daunting to find places for a broader swath of eclectic favorites like Intacto, Demonlover, The Fall, Hedwig, Gerry, Good Shepard, Wendy and Lucy, 8 Women, Moon, Death to Smoochy, Amores Perros, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and....seriously, I could fill a bucket off the top of my head. I have no idea how this couldn't be difficult.
The aughts represent a problem in that there was a increase in films released yearly. Not only here in the states, but also world wide. So I definitely understand that problem.
If I ever got around to doing writing down my own top films from that decade, it would probably be a top 200, as a result.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
These films made my short list for my top 100 (which actually stands at somewhere around 130 at the moment), but I'm not sure if they'll make my 25.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Victim of The Night
I got to about 50 in a half hour of thinking about it. I guess I just watch better movies than you guys. The hardest part is making sure that the top 15 isn't entirely Coen, Andersons and Kaufman films.
Yes, I ended up just going with 4 between Coen and Anderson but Kaufman didn't make it.
Then again, I have at least one movie that probably almost nobody put on their list and not because it's obscure.

Then again, I have at least one movie that probably almost nobody put on their list and not because it's obscure.
Oh, I don't know, friend. Lots of people like Bring it On!. Don't count yourself out just yet!

Victim of The Night
Oh, I don't know, friend. Lots of people like Bring it On!. Don't count yourself out just yet!
Heh. Well, this is one I've heard disparaged around this forum and my previous ones a few times with no one but me ever defending it. But it is what it is, it's a movie I love.

Victim of The Night
We all know he’s just fantasizing about Legally Blond.
Ya know, I had to at least consider, even though it's not a movie I would necessarily choose to re-watch, I thought it was a movie that was highly successful at being what it set out to be and obviously hit pretty well with audiences. So I considered whether it should be considered.
I guess, one thing I'd say about this process is that I probably overthought the voting process quite a bit. Like, is there any point in giving points to a movie that has NO chance of making the list or is it better to use a slot to influence the final list? I considered if a movie (which will have to remain nameless by the rules for now I guess) that will almost certainly be near the very top of the final list, should be excluded completely from mine because for me it doesn't belong that high and makes the list by default because of the paucity (IMO) of great films during that time period, and withholding all points might help drive it down to its proper place. And whether I should rank movies I love but I know are unlikely to make the list higher than they belong to try to get them more points and possibly break them onto the final list.
In the end, just so we're clear, I threw out any of those notions and just made a list I felt good about. But there was a lot to think about.

Happy BLOOD RAGE day, horror crammers! Been deep in my noir binge but I’m gonna take the day off for the genre I am so deeply thankful for.

If I ever got around to doing writing down my own top films from that decade, it would probably be a top 200, as a result.
I've thought about such an expansion. I have a lot of "small" favorites - Singing Detective, Nacho Libre, I Heart Huckabees, Game 6, Intolerable Cruelty, Micmacs, Ghost World - that don't really stand a chance of cracking my top 50 (and incidently, I don't think any of those previously mentioned films will either), but I feel deserve a place somewhere, and would likely populate the bottom of a top 200 very well.

Happy BLOOD RAGE day, horror crammers! Been deep in my noir binge but I’m gonna take the day off for the genre I am so deeply thankful for.
Hope you had some cranberry sauce to go with the movie.

The trick is not minding
I've thought about such an expansion. I have a lot of "small" favorites - Singing Detective, Nacho Libre, I Heart Huckabees, Game 6, Intolerable Cruelty, Micmacs, Ghost World - that don't really stand a chance of cracking my top 50 (and incidently, I don't think any of those previously mentioned films will either), but I feel deserve a place somewhere, and would likely populate the bottom of a top 200 very well.
I wasn’t a fan of Nacho Libre, and felt Intolerable Cruelty was disappointing for the Coens that decade (alongside Burn After Reading). Haven’t seen the others yet, and I don’t think I’m familiar with Game 6.