Dolemite Is My Name

Tools    

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Eddie Murphy is making a comeback, y’all!
He looks like he cares....

He does not give me the i am bigger than this vibe.

It's Only Weird If You Make It Weird
This looks really fun. I don't know much about Dolemite movies, know the name but the content. But this looks like a must watch.

Is there a quintessential Dolemite movie that I might watch before this?

I think there's only two movies with the character Dolemite. The original Dolemite and The Human Tornado. The Human Tornando is the one I usually recommend.

Welcome to the human race...
I can recognise scenes from both movies in the trailer - Dolemite is obviously the quintessential one while I view Human Tornado as a far lesser experience.

Anyway, I'm definitely hyped for this - even if Murphy doesn't quite seem to have the voice down.

I love the trailer!

Snipes and Murphy... I'm in
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

This looks really fun. I don't know much about Dolemite movies, know the name but the content. But this looks like a must watch.

No but you've got the greatest music video of all-time

Finally watched this last night. Really enjoyed it. Murphy's his usual magnetic self, but there's some real acting going on, too, and the whole thing's just fun.

Obviously I got major Bowfinger vibes, both from the presence of Murphy and the subject matter. I didn't adore it quite as much as I adored that film, but it's really good. I didn't know with certainty going in that it was based on a true story (or to what degree), so it was delightful, right after, to see that Dolemite is not only real, but was easily available via an app called Tubi, which I was able to download and use to watch some of the original film without even signing up for anything. And yeah, man, they kinda nailed it.

Speaking of, this definitely made me realize just how un-satirical Black Dynamite was. Obviously it's exaggerated in silly ways, but geez...it's not as exaggerated as I'd expected.

Great fun.

I happened to watch Dolemite and My Name is Dolemite within weeks of each other, which was fabulous.

I loved the "background" that the latter gave, and the former was fresh enough in my mind that I got many of the allusions.

And, yes, Black Dynamite is fabulous. "The rod of Asclepius, of course!".

I couldn't get through it

I wanted to like it. It's talking about something very specific that I love. And I mostly really like Murphy. But like a lot of biopics, it just felt like it was ticking off moments in the life of Dolemite (I forget his real name at the moment) instead of just living and breathing along side of his story.

I'm just one of those biopic haters, I guess. They really are one of my least favorite things ever.

It's weird you say that, because I know exactly what you're talking about, and I totally hate it...but I didn't get that from this film at all. Maybe it just checked off a couple up front and you bailed? IE: you saw the "nobody's giving him a chance" stuff, followed by the "now he's got something going!" stuff...but the second half of the film doesn't really keep that trajectory. There's a lot of time spent on the movie and what making it's like that doesn't feel like other biopics, to me.

Still glad you brought that up, though, because I have basically zero patience for formulaic biopics now. We had a rush of them like 15 years ago and I got sick of the routine.

I enjoyed the movie and especially Murphy's performance, but it seemed to traffic in the a lot of the usual biopic cliches and in particular hit a lot of the same notes as Baadasssss! Dolemite is pretty enjoyable (although Petey Wheatstraw is the true Rudy Ray Moore masterpiece), but trying to convince me that it's as influential or important as Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song is a pretty hard sell.

I'm just one of those biopic haters, I guess. They really are one of my least favorite things ever.
It felt like a fun, fictionalized "behind the scenes" and I quite enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the movie and especially Murphy's performance, but it seemed to traffic in the a lot of the usual biopic cliches and in particular hit a lot of the same notes as Baadasssss! Dolemite is pretty enjoyable (although Petey Wheatstraw is the true Rudy Ray Moore masterpiece), but trying to convince me that it's as influential or important as Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song is a pretty hard sell.

I really love the Rudy Ray movies I've seen (maybe three). But they are obviously terrible. In great terrible ways.

But Sweet Sweetback? That **** is a gamechanger if you are on board.

I felt similarly towards Ganja and Hess, even if I didn't like it nearly as much as Sweetback. It's doing movies like I want more movies to do. Oblique, mysterious, disappears in a tangent, but at the same time always feels like it knows exactly where it is going, all of the stumbles included..