The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

That screening would have been freaking awesome!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm not on HuluPlus, but they have the Criterion Collection, yeah? Plenty to work through there, alone. Just browsing the first couple pages of other stuff, I see they have Wim Wenders' Alice in the Cities, and that's a damn good one.
I'd recommend Alice In the Cities, too. It means more coming from HP, I grant you, but still.

OK, with Harry Lime's ballot now in and tabulated, that makes twenty MoFos, so far. We had just over sixty participants for the '80s list, I'd like to get to at least seventy-five this time, if not even closer to a hundred...so we're off to a strong start!

I am still getting new titles to add with every new ballot, which continues to amaze and delight me. We are up to 225 total films! Three of which have amassed over two hundred points (that early leader is still on top, though the gap is very much tightening), and there are fifteen with at least a hundred points, each. The top six flicks, really, seem to be settling in and remaining the same, just shifting a bit each time. It'll be fun watching what, if anything, can overtake one or more of them.

Keep 'em coming! Deadline is still July 15th.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Top 10 prediction:

The Godfather
Star Wars
The Godfather: Part II
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Jaws
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Alien

Someone had to

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Top 10 prediction:

The Godfather
Star Wars
The Godfather: Part II
A Clockwork Orange
Chinatown
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Jaws
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Alien

Someone had to
Here's to hoping for a few surprises.

Did ya get mine? I sent it in.
Yuppers. I just entered your choices into the spread sheet.

And this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I meant to say this in the beginning...but any ballots that call George Lucas' 1977 film Star Wars anything OTHER than simply Star Wars (as in Episode IV: A New Hope) risk having your choice not counted.

I'm joking, of course.

Probably.

I guess I'd better start my 70s catchup crash course super soon, then.

I could scour this thread for recommendations...unless any kind souls with a rough knowledge of my tastes feels like highlighting the choicest.

I could scour this thread for recommendations...unless any kind souls with a rough knowledge of my tastes feels like highlighting the choicest.
going by what you haven't checked off on your lists:
The Long Goodbye
A Woman Under the Influence
Badlands
The Heartbreak Kid
What's Up Doc?
The Butcher

i don't really know your tastes, but i would recommend these to anyone.

slightly less accessible, but also definitely worth watching are Tarkovsky's Solaris and Stalker and Altman's 3 Women.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Picked up Hulu Plus for the month. I am watching A Women Under The Influence right now. Hulu watchers recommend me some good 70's options to watch over the next few weeks.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Badlands
Amarcord
Solaris
Eraserhead
Autumn Sonata

You should definitely check some of those out.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If you haven't seen The Last Picture Show or Halloween (they aren't checked off on your lists) those are must watch material.

P.S. You can check Cries and Whispers off your Ebert list

I'll ask the same question. I've got 6 weeks before the deadline, based off my lists what should I watch?
The Godfather Part II, The Deer Hunter, A Clockwork Orange, All The President's Men, The French Connection.

Those are all highly acclaimed films. Not seen them all myself, and not even a fan of all the ones I've seen, but they're must-watches for any seventies list, I'd have thought.

II've got 6 weeks before the deadline, based off my lists what should I watch?
Going by your ten favorites and what you haven't seen, according to those lists (if they are up to date)...

In the thriller and mystery genres, looks like you somehow haven't seen Dog Day Afternoon, The French Connection, Marathon Man, All the President's Men, or Get Carter. To those I would add The Long Goodbye, Night Moves, The Onion Field, Three Days of the Condor, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Conversation, and Charley Varrick.

For more of this flavor I'd take a scattershot approach with Deliverance, Alien, The Man Who Would Be King, The Three Musketeers, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, Sorcerer, and The Yakuza.

Looks like you have already seen The Outlaw Josey Wales, so I'd start with High Plains Drifter, then Escape from Alcatraz, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Beguiled, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, and The Gauntlet. For non-Eastwood fare, maybe A Fistful of Dynamite, My Name is Nobody, The Shootist, and McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

Apprently you have seen Young Frankenstein, but not Blazing Saddles? Nor have you seen Animal House, What's Up, Doc?, or American Graffiti. See all of them, if not in time for the list, then eventually. I'd also add Breaking Away, The Jerk, The In-Laws, Smokey & the Bandit, The Longest Yard, and Foul Play.

And have you really not seen The Godfather Part II??? See that. And according to your list, no A Clockwork Orange as of yet, either? See that, too.

Happy viewing!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery.png
Views:	654
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	15466   Click image for larger version

Name:	action.png
Views:	659
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	15467   Click image for larger version

Name:	western.png
Views:	655
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	15468   Click image for larger version

Name:	comedy.png
Views:	658
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	15469  

Since you like Eastwood, raul, I'm going to recommend my favorite Eastwood film, The Beguiled.

I did a lot of catch up, but I'd like some recommendations if someone as the time.

(I was also wondering if Amarcord is a good beggining to Fellini's filmography)