Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yeah, I definitely smell the Bilderbergs behind this.
Funny you should say that......

Welcome to the human race...
I thought it was a deliberate response to a co-ordinated downvoting campaign against Captain Marvel that only drew extra attention to how easily user-based metrics could be willfully compromised to the point of being worthless.

Yea I did add that to bottom of my comment. Disney seems to have a lot of influence over RT. The timing of it with CM out next week.

Perhaps due to Brie Larsson's comments that seem to have caused a stir (I don't know what was said), and previous criticism of CM.

Yeah, I'm not saying they were unprompted. I'm saying the timing isn't suspicious: of course this stuff, if it was ever going to happen, would happen shortly before the film's release.

Agreed.

>THIS is what fans would've wanted and would've done to make TLJ "better"

OH NO NO NO
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I didn’t watch the clip but I already know that one scene replaced wouldn’t fix the movie...it all needs to be replaced including the farce awakens. Please don’t pretend otherwise.

You know better than to assume I've been pretending about this stuff.

Besides, if there's one thing we don't need to keep using to bump this thread, it's definitely this facile "here's what should've happened" nonsense from fanboys that don't seem to have much of a grasp on what makes Star Wars good.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainm...cid=spartanntp

They didn't screen test TLJ, I really wish they had.

I repeat:

if there's one thing we don't need to keep using to bump this thread, it's definitely this facile "here's what should've happened" nonsense from fanboys that don't seem to have much of a grasp on what makes Star Wars good.
Especially since Rise of Skywalker ended up looking like a movie that was screen-tested to death.

After Looking Back On Last Jedi to Rise Of Skywalker While Rise Had great scene moments. I kinda wonder if Johnsons Emperor would have made more since. People were hard on Johnson but I dont think making Luke grumpy and broken was a bad thing. Its clear JJ not great with acting scenes. Knives Out prooved Johnson can get better acting performances from actors.

That's assuming a Johnson-scripted Episode IX would've brought back the Emperor in the first place.
Well id rather it just been Snoke really cause Emperor part was worst part of it.The Emperor Usually acts like he is having fun. Johnson gifts was able to do something else. JJ ABrams not a good trilogy closer. Rise Of Skywalker prooved someone had an outline but fear Johnson was scape goat to blame for Kennedy decisions

I repeat:

Especially since Rise of Skywalker ended up looking like a movie that was screen-tested to death.
I think Rise was doomed to fail due to lack of planning and time no matter what they did. The end product Rise also looks like a studio hatchet job shortened by 45 mins, similar to Kingdom of Heaven.

That's assuming a Johnson-scripted Episode IX would've brought back the Emperor in the first place.
He wasn't paying any heed to part 9 or 7 for that matter, that is the essence of his failure and why they felt forced into an embarressing resurecction of a clearly dead villain.

I mean, there's also the matter of how Rise of Skywalker plays like every other franchise entry Abrams ever directed in his career regardless of how much blame you could put on Johnson or Kennedy or whoever else. The mystery boxes with unsatisfying answers (and setting up new ones that don't even get answered within the finished film like whatever Finn was trying to tell Rey), the constant under-cutting of stakes (Chewbacca died? Nope! C-3PO lost his memory? Nope!), the maintenance of plot momentum at all costs (how much of the film simply involves characters chasing one Sith artifact or another?), being bludgeoned with fan-service at all costs (hope you like seeing Chewbacca get a medal or old Wedge Antilles showing up for five seconds) - it's all there as it was in everything from Mission: Impossible III to Star Trek Into Darkness. Also, it's not like we didn't all note how much The Force Awakens recycled various elements from A New Hope so I don't think he felt particularly forced to bring back the Emperor - knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if Rise had begun with the Emperor executing Snoke for outliving his usefulness.

Anyway, I'm just going to throw this out here. Even if you differ with him on whether or not The Last Jedi is a good movie, he still has some salient points to make about why Rise of Skywalker doesn't work as either a Star Wars movie or a movie movie.

I mean, there's also the matter of how Rise of Skywalker plays like every other franchise entry Abrams ever directed in his career regardless of how much blame you could put on Johnson or Kennedy or whoever else. The mystery boxes with unsatisfying answers (and setting up new ones that don't even get answered within the finished film like whatever Finn was trying to tell Rey), the constant under-cutting of stakes (Chewbacca died? Nope! C-3PO lost his memory? Nope!), the maintenance of plot momentum at all costs (how much of the film simply involves characters chasing one Sith artifact or another?), being bludgeoned with fan-service at all costs (hope you like seeing Chewbacca get a medal or old Wedge Antilles showing up for five seconds) - it's all there as it was in everything from Mission: Impossible III to Star Trek Into Darkness. Also, it's not like we didn't all note how much The Force Awakens recycled various elements from A New Hope so I don't think he felt particularly forced to bring back the Emperor - knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if Rise had begun with the Emperor executing Snoke for outliving his usefulness.

Anyway, I'm just going to throw this out here. Even if you differ with him on whether or not The Last Jedi is a good movie, he still has some salient points to make about why Rise of Skywalker doesn't work as either a Star Wars movie or a movie movie.

Absolutely no argument with any of the bolded part other than the Emperor was never intended to come back as the main villain, sure he could have been mentioned or Rey certainly could have been in his bloodline.

I'm not gonna watch the Rise video because Rise isn't worth wasting our breath or time on.

Do we not have to blame some of the higher ups though? Iger setting out an incredibly difficult timeline, smashing out a new movie every year, and Kennedy failing to oversee or failing to put someone into a Feige type role of organising the trilogy PROPERLY. We can't truly blame Johnston for having no oversight in doing whatever the hell he wanted.

I've said a Johnston led trilogy with a blank canvass could have been something good, we'll never know.

Anyhow I think putting Last Jedi in front of several hundred fans to gauge reaction on a few points would have been useful;

-Luke Skywalker as a complete failure?
-Intended plot arcs from TFA discarded?
-Big Boss dying halfway through trilogy?
-Real world trendy politics rammed down our throats in Canto Blight and obvious, women good, men bad dialogue.

Perhaps not much could have been done given time constraints but if the reaction was as divisive as it turned out being they could have delayed it and sorted it.