Movie Tab II

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Yep, I give "Year 2889"
too, so I guess you call that double feature a twofer-zero!
Sweet!

Which kill was the best one?
Erm the first one. I cant work spoiler tags here

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Regarding The Exorcist, the "religious" aspects (the desecration of the church, etc.) don't shock me, although the use of the crucifix combined with your mother's face is definitely some X-rated stuff. What pushes it above the normal horror film to me is the psychological underpinning of the whole thing. The lead character is Father Karras (Jason Miller) who seems possessed with far more demons that Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair). Now, whether one believes the demons to be real or only some manifestation of various characters' other problems, the film plays out just as much as a psychological (or spiritual) thriller as it does a blood and thunder horror flick. The way the "demon Pazuzu" is able to orchestrate the two priests from opposite sides of the world to come together to try to "save" an innocent girl is really quite compelling stuff even if you think it stretches the bounds of credulity. The acting is also about as good as I've ever seen in a horror film.

Welcome to the human race...
Erm the first one. I cant work spoiler tags here
If my memory's correct, that's the one where...

WARNING: "BS" spoilers below
...the brothers kill the two Russian gangsters in the alley.

Right?

If my memory's correct, that's the one where...

WARNING: "BS" spoilers below
...the brothers kill the two Russian gangsters in the alley.

Right?

WARNING: "yep" spoilers below
with the toilet

A system of cells interlinked
Mirrormask (McKean, 2005)

I wanted to give this one a higher mark, because I REALLY liked the design ad execution of the concepts in this film, and the actors were good enough. Alas, the writing was pretty thin. Still, a fine fantasy tale told in a very interesting way using techniques that were quite original and cool. The visuals were STELLAR! A must see for surrealists and abstract art fans.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Not my best week for movies.

I didn't expect much, but this was pretty funny flick. Appeals especially to the father-daughter crowd if you hadn't already got that. Martin Lawerence and Raven Symone have terrific chemistry. I had no problem with the acting in this movie. Some of the gags aren't very original, but the script was decent. A good family movie night canidate, but other than that it was just average.

Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, John Candy, and Dan Akroyd. Gotta be great right? This was not a great movie. This was not a good movie. I am kind of ashamed to say I was entertained. It was mere fascination I think. Lots of grossout humor, and very low on good jokes. Kindy campy Halloween flick. If you like lower quality films, this is one to check out.

John Wayne and Anthony Quinn star in this true story based tale. The acting is what you would expect, great. Although this film was a little too sad for my taste. Mostly because of:
WARNING: "!Spoilers! for Back to Bataan" spoilers below
When the poor little boy Maximo died, it was
A fanatasitc war movie however.

This one I figured was basically a 50/50 shot whether or not it would be good. A few talented actors throughout the cast. Set in the future but the phone I saw was of the early cell phone design. But I got to the part where Tom Selleck and his partner were chasing a little robot through a cornfield and lost all hope.

Only made it half way into this one, if that. The special effects were poor and the whole thing was pretty predictable. It opens up okay but will have you anxious for the end. Don't waste the time.

Head Cheerleader, Dead Cheerleader -

Heather Connelly is the head cheerleader for the Cats cheerleading squad and is, along with her fellow pom pom wavers, getting ready for the
big college football game.
But when someone starts chopping up her cheerleading squad Heather is caught up in a web of murderous town secrets….

Writer/director Jeffrey Miller certainly has a old school horror fan’s love of the Slasher sub-genre and puts it to good use in the first half of his ultra low budget movie, where only the cheapjack FX and general ‘home grown’ look of the film letting the side down.
A stock company of Slasher cliché characters are trotted out (the creepy male coach, the douchebag boyfriend, the bitchy cheerleading honeys, the weird old guy with a past, the bumbling Sheriff and the angry - flatulence filled - handyman) as are the old school stalking scenes and (cheap) gore moments, like a good old severed head discovery scene.
It may be cheap, generally badly acted and anything but original but there is an energy here, lots of incident and a fun 80’s attitude to the proceedings.
Though there are far too many ‘false scare’ scenes!

The film is rather too fast and lean for its own good actually.
Killings seem to happen with no sense of time and seem to get relayed via phone gossip. Characters are just bumped off only to be mentioned in dispatches a few minutes later with no linking footage to explain how people even know the murders have taken place and even then occasionally the news of a murder is known by some of the characters but not others, again making you wonder how the news of them is actually relayed.

As we have a film about cheerleaders we must surely have nudity? Indeed we do, but only two topless scenes are provided (one by minor cult sctress Debbie Rochon) so there is not the amount of gratuity we would have all liked, but hey, at least we have something!

As far as the violence goes, there’s a very childish, bad taste sexual aspect to the otherwise bog standard axe attacks due to the fact the killer has a marvelous aim as far as breasts go.
Rubber mammaries fall like autumn leaves here and only the joke shop comedy boobs used for the chopped off appendages keeps the grossness at bay.
The rubber globes are joined by an equally rubbery head and foot so as not to feel lonely.

Sadly after a good couple of these ‘so bad they’re good’ axe murders the rest of the killings happen not just off screen, but off screenplay as it later turns out that most of the cheerleaders have all been bumped off, yet the audience had no idea and were shown absolutely nothing.

One bewildering aspect of the film is that it is meant to be set on Halloween, but you really wouldn't know it as there is zero Halloween atmosphere or even any basic trappings to be seen.
Suspects and red herrings are thrown at the screen in almost parody level numbers and are as subtle as a flying crimson tit.
To say that almost everyone in this town is whacked out 'n' weird is an understatement.

Far too many times the film also gets bogged down in scary phone calls that are not remotely scary and far too long. And they are the root of all evil that now smother the last half of the movie.
At one point the film suddenly decides to stay in Heather's house for the remaining running time as she takes endless weird, plodding, phone calls from the killer and opens the door to all known local weirdo’s.
Now all of a sudden the trashy energy the film had has been sapped by walls of nothingness filled dialogue as the film imprisons itself, in Heather's living room.
This screams that the budget was almost gone so the director just set up camp in the bland living room for the rest of the movie.

The big reveal of who is doing the killing is once again just some characters talking in that damn living room as well.
And when I say talking...I mean talking!
The motive for the slayings was so long-winded and unstructured I had to wind the film back twice to give myself any chance of trying to follow the reasoning on display here.
But wait! Even after all that talk there seems to be yet another twist to explain...with yet more talk!

Now the trailer for “Head Cheerleader…” may crassly use the theme from “Halloween” on it, but the finale of the film itself is now as far from the violence filled, tension drenched scare fest that made up the finale of Carpenter's classic as you can get!
And this dialogue heavy finale would be deadening enough anyway, but coming right after spending 15 odd minutes of watching a person sitting on a couch answering the phone it reaches hellish heights of tedium.

To be fair there is a very brief 'trying to escape the psycho' sequence at the very end (though here escaping means just moving into the kitchen!) that delivers some possibly intentional humour in the
way it plays out and the use of choice dialogue.
At last some of that energy and fun re-appears but it's far too little far too late and yet again we need another weighty monologue at the end of it to explain this new plot twist before the (final, final) ending reveals that actually something else was also going on but we are left, even with all that dialogue we just sat through, with no idea what it was or whom it involved!

So a cheap but fun homage to 80’s Slasher films turns into a maddeningly dull phone conversation on a couch.
How frustratingly tragic.

there's a frog in my snake oil

The Way We Were

Slightly soft-focused look at a dysfunctional relationship evolving from the start of WW2 into the paranoid McCarthy era. Despite the interesting backdrop, and the character's erstwhile preoccupations with them, it all felt a bit glossed over. Hard to cover that much ground I guess, especially when your spotlight is on the foreground clashes and recriminations. It did feel 'glossy' though, despite the later focus on the struggles of 'lefty' writers (something which didn't feel too self-indulgent. Normally I'm bugged by writers writing about the struggles of writing etc as a key premise, but here at least they had something to bitch about )

The relationship is interesting though, and Streisand and Redford keep their slightly two-dimensional characters 'alive' for the most part, helped by the sparkier end of the dialogue. It's worth a sentimental watch.

(+)

Shouldn't it be called This Was Nearly It?
Other titles that were shopped around ...

This is Not It
This is Directed by Kenny Ortega
It is what it is

and .....

This is S***

forgive me Michael

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Soylent Green

First viewing. Disappointing but interesting. There's good idea here but its buried in banal storytelling and poor setups.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
jesus people lets feel some love up in here

help me decide what to watch next:

THX 1138 or All That Jazz?

ive never seen either of them, what to do folks?

By way of full disclosure, I've deleted the fight between Pyro and jrs. Not taking sides at all, but I think both of you guys know that the personal stuff was a bit over the line. Anyway, on with the show.

but I think both of you guys know that the personal stuff was a bit over the line.
Well he was being an idiot..at least I spoke the truth .

Anyway, on with the show.
Here's my latest, which you deleted in my last post.

Terminator Salvation

Alright, enough, man. I'd have thought it was pretty clear that I was trying to get this stuff out of this thread, so I don't know why you think it'd be cool to reiterate what you were saying, winking-smilie-face-emoticon or not. Please move on.

Let it go jrs. Despite Yoda's intervention, you still going at it?

I made a comment on that connotations of using present tense in the films title, when Jackson's passed and the event the film tracks never really transpired, meaning the film title implies 'it' is remenants opposed to a triumphant statement. And also the irony of it's release date.