Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Yes, an absolute legand. Him and Shilton and the England #1 shirt are my memories as a young football fan. Naturally I liked Shilton more as he didn't have Scouse connections.

Two odd stories which are true and football related.

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney: Hollywood stars to take over Wrexham
Baccara would re-record Yes Sir, I Can Boogie as Scotland anthem

Yes, Sir is genuinely one of my favourites songs and as an Englishman it's horrible it's been co-opted by the Old Enemy.

Classic Mourinho that, and I weirdly enjoyed it. Maybe because I was hoping for City to lose, who by the way looked a bit slow and devoid of ideas in the second half.
Apart from Spurs' CBs, I thought Kane was fantastic while playing more like a midfielder. Even did quite a bit of defending.

I know it's early, but the media must be loving the prospect of Mourinho in a title race.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Man. City, a team who shouldn't be allowed to be on the CL, with a millionaire budget, with the referee forgiving yet another ridiculous penalty playing against a team that is technically broken and still complaining that FC Porto style is disgusting! Ahahahahah!
That's why a Porto fan is worth 200x of any fan from cancer teams like City, teams who wouldn't exist if it wasn't for dirty oil money. We've been broken for 4 years, with FFP imposing ridiculous limitations and in that same period we're through the group stage for the third time! You can't buy that.

Call me petty, but I enjoyed the stick given to Bernardo Silva by Porto's newsletter. A bit unwarranted (yes, I know the context around the word he used in the past), but that spoilt jerk deserves every insult coming his way.

Call me petty, but I enjoyed the stick given to Bernardo Silva by Porto's newsletter. A bit unwarranted (yes, I know the context around the word he used in the past), but that spoilt jerk deserves every insult coming his way.

Yeah, I think the thing with the racism was a mistake by Porto. The context in itself is ridiculous. Especially because that piece of sh*t has so much you can insult that taking the racist thing is lazy... I preferred what our manager said (Sergio was told that Guardiola was pissed at the way we played and he answered: "oh, was he? That's only natural, if I had his money and his players I'd also be if i couldn't win this match")
And then Fernandinho had a similar type of speech and one of our former players who was commenting on the match on live tv said something like: "20 seconds of pure stupidity. If you changed his head by a donkey's head, the donkey would end up with the worst part of the deal"

A question to all british: I was discussing with some portuguese friends and we all agreed there are certain teams who don't have a lot of respect in their own country due to the way they became big. PSG, Leipzig, City have all grown solely from huge private investments often with very questionable sources. Where we disagreed was if Chelsea provoked the same kind of lack of respect from fans of other clubs and if not, why?

Maybe @honeykid?

A question to all british: I was discussing with some portuguese friends and we all agreed there are certain teams who don't have a lot of respect in their own country due to the way they became big. PSG, Leipzig, City have all grown solely from huge private investments often with very questionable sources. Where we disagreed was if Chelsea provoked the same kind of lack of respect from fans of other clubs and if not, why?

Maybe @honeykid?

Chelski provoked exactly the same reaction. Although they were no longer quite out on their ass as they had been in the 80's when Ken Bates bought them for Ł1, but through the 90s and the rise of the Premier League and had managed to win the FA Cup a couple of times.

But when Roman Abromovich showed up that was a whole new level, which was greeted with disdain by fans of other clubs. The better part of 20 years may've softened some of the ill-will, but it absolutely existed then, whether or not it is as strong now as once was, but there are a lot of people that still refer to them as Chelski, including myself.

As @Taz rightly says, they were hated for the same reasons City and PSG are now. Over the years that has mellowed down, but they have also been helped by the fact that people have now shifted their ire towards City.

I remember cringing at Chelsea fans in stands flashing cash in their hands on matchdays. Also, the worst fan base when it comes to banners. All they could muster up were A4 size papers with terrible messages. I especially remember them when Jose was fired after his first stint.

The funniest one was during the Rafa Jose rivalry. I know a big deal is made about Anfield's atmosphere, and to counter it the folks at Stamford Bridge left plastic flags on seats for fans to wave during one European match against the Reds to show that even they could create a good atmosphere. Clowns they were Chelsea, before City came and stole their spotlight.

FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 draw

Who you got?

A
Portugal
Serbia
B
Spain
Sweden
C
Italy
Switzerland
D
France
Ukraine
E
Belgium
Czech republic
F
Denmark
????
G
Netherlands
Turkey
H
Croatia
Russia
I
England
Poland
J
Germany
Iceland

Scotland have a decent chance to clinch a playoff spot, and then hope for the best in the playoffs. I really want Robbo to go to the World Cup.

I actually fancy Wales over Czech to clinch that playoff spot.

Can't see the big teams slipping. The group toppers are obvious.

Another football great passes away. Paolo Rossi, Italian legend who came back after serving a ban because of the Totonero match fixing scandal to win the World Cup for Italy. It was his World Cup, scoring a hattrick against arguably the best Brazilian side.
In some ways Italy's 2006 WC win mirrored that.

Time to revisit that FIFA documentary again. It's highly recommended for those who haven't watched it yet. Voiced by another great who passed away this year, Connery.

RIP.

FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 draw

Who you got?

A
Portugal
Serbia
B
Spain
Sweden
C
Italy
Switzerland
D
France
Ukraine
E
Belgium
Czech republic
F
Denmark
????
G
Netherlands
Turkey
H
Croatia
Russia
I
England
Poland
J
Germany
Iceland

Ughhh , national teams football... 🙄

Is the U goin up against City tomorrow @honeykid? Am I Seeing my calendar right? How they lookin?

Pep played for a draw. Wasn't expected from him, but not surprising. He has done that on his visits to Anfield. He no longer goes all attack away against big sides.

The match was dreadful. But it wasn't half as bad as listening to Martin Tyler, the peak of which happened at City's freekick, when he cracked what he thought was a gem of a quip, and I quote him: 'De Gea, De Bruyne, Dah-erby'.

Gerard Houllier has passed away and that actually hurts. I became a football fan with his Liverpool side. He brought in some good players, but his biggest contribution, apart from winning trophies (including a treble), was making Stevie the captain over Hyypia who himself was good enough to wear the armband.

Houllier also came across as a nice guy, who cared a little too much for the club, which took a toll on his health. He left the club in a good health for Rafa to take in forward. Always spoke nicely about the club and was genuinely loved by all fans.

RIP.

R.I.P. Gerard.

I'd only just read about this and, sadly, it was because I only found out about the death of another much loved footballer yesterday.

Papa Bouba Diop died at the age of 42. I don't know how well he was known outside Senegal or Premier League followers, but he was affectionately known as "The Wardrobe" and, as I remember it, was a cult hero and was held in great affection at every English club he played for.

R.I.P. Papa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55124939

And because I always like to see an unlikely goalscorer score a great goal against United.