Nicolas Cage...what gives?

Tools    

He should really get back to the out of it roles he was playing before he became a "movie star"
I think Werner Herzog has just the movie for you.

I liked most of the movies I saw him in. And for someone who isn't good at remembering movie actors, hes one I can always pick out when I see. If only some of his movies were more action than some of the others he would be really good.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Bad Lieutenant isnt a remake, its a loose sequel.

And it looks awwweeesssooome.

Bad Lieutenant? God no! I'm to much of a fan of the original to even want to see that ruined.
Have you seen the trailer? The original is irrelevant. Herzog is doing his own thing, as always. He claims (ahem) to not have even seen Ferrara's film.

And I've never understood this whole idea of a remake "ruining" an original. It doesn't affect the original film, which should stand on its own. Most of the time, it just reminds us of why we liked the original (assuming if we did, and we didn't, then who cares?) in the first place.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No, a remake (or a sequel) never ruins an original. However, Bad Lieutenant was never a good movie, never. It was obviously one of the ballsiest movies ever made, as far as acting, script and direction though, so what's Herzog going to do? Make it easier to digest for the masses? What would be the point? He sure as hell can't make it any ballsier.

Just my two cents, but Nicholas Cage is a vampire. And not just because he was in Vampire's Kiss.

No, really. It is one of my long held quirky beliefs that Nicholas Cage and John Travolta and Karl Lagerfeld are all vampires. Don't ask me why; they just look it. I mean, if vampires existed, then they would be. Kind of like if aliens existed they would be ruled by Tilda Swinton. Or Thom Yorke.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

what's Herzog going to do? Make it easier to digest for the masses? What would be the point? He sure as hell can't make it any ballsier.
He's not remaking the movie. If you've seen the original and seen the trailer for Herzog's film, this should be pretty obvious; they're different films altogether, and to call it a "remake" is to stretch that term to some pretty useless limits.

If you're even mildly familiar with Herzog, it should be clear that making anything "easier to digest for the masses" is a low priority for him. As for a "point", who cares? What was the "point" of Eraserhead? What is the "point" of innumerable works of art that created every day? Herzog long ago earned the right to make films the way he chooses to; some of them are fascinating, some of them are dull, but to think there needs to be some clear, explicable reason for them is to ignore his nature as artist.

And for the record, Herzog is a "ballsier" filmmaker than Ferrara could ever pray to be in a million years.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I don't like Nick Cage much but I must say he did great in Moonstruck. After all these years it's the one movie I still look back at his performance fondly in.

I also enjoyed him in Lord of War, which was a really interesting movie.

Captain Corelli's Mandoline was also a fine film that surprised me by being good with him in it.

Banned from Hollywood.
...absolutely nothing gives.

An incredibly untalented actor, who just happened to know all the right people and who got incredibly lucky.

It's incredible, he practically acts THE SAME in each and every single one of the films he's played in.

This of course doesnt mean that he hasnt played in some really good movies (Adaptatoin, Matchstick Men, Lord Of War)

...and damn that Wickerman remake was so bad.what was the point in all that, other than the big studios trying to make some money which is always the case in remakes.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think he's pretty uneven. At lot of times I can't stand him but sometimes he's perfect (Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation.). I saw Ghost Rider just the other day and it was complete garbage.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This is why I LOVE Nic Cage.

&feature=player_embedded

Suspect's Reviews

I remember when Cage did good movies like Raising Arizona, Moonstruck, Honeymoon In Vegas, Leaving Las Vegas, The Rock, Con Air, Face Off, Snake Eyes, 8mm, Gone In 60 Seconds, Adaptation, National Treasure, etc...

But a lot of his last several films have been garbage, like Knowing, Bangkok Dangerous, Next, The Wicker Man, etc...

He's a great actor when in the right movie. He's just made some bad role choices.

While, I guess, that second list is worse than the first, it's not like that first list is a lot better, bar a couple of films.

I know I'm biased, but most of this guy's resume is crap. Fun crap, sometimes, but crap nonetheless.

National Treasure was as bad as any of his other films..

Like I've said earlier, Cage doesn't want to be remembered like any other decent actor.
He wants to be immortal.. He already has a huge cult following coz of his 90's action films. Very soon he might gain a sort of a cult following like Klaus Kinski.

All the best Cage, I am with you..

This is why I LOVE Nic Cage.

&feature=player_embedded
This was UNREAL. My god...

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Have either of you seen Raising Arizona?

I don't have a problem with him.

I own over 20 of his movies. I'm hardly saying they're all good. The best ones are . . .

Adaptation. (2002)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Moonstruck (1987)
Raising Arizona (1987)

I've heard that these next two are real good, so I plan on checking them out . . .

Wild at Heart (1990)
Vampire's Kiss (1988)

I haven't watched these, so I can't judge them yet . . .

Ghost Rider (2007) ~ Heard it sucks!
The Wicker Man (2006)
Lord of War (2005) ~ Heard it sucks!
National Treasure (2004)
Matchstick Men (2003)

As far as the rest of what I own goes, my three favorites are . . .

Con Air (1997)
The Rock (1996)
Guarding Tess (1994)

My biggest guilty pleasure, for the holidays of course, is . . .

Trapped in Paradise (1994) - Sue me. You won't get Jack Schitt.

Yes, I own others, but you're already throwing up, so why should I bother naming them!?!

We have similar tastes i have found, and we agree for the most part here as well.

I would add the following.

Red Rock West (1993)

Racing With the Moon (1984)

Birdy (1984)

This next one may be contentious with some as its a remake as well as starring mr sunglasses, but hey i liked it.

Kiss of Death (1994)

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I loved him when he was younger as a character actor. I don't know what happens when actors graduate to Hollywood "leading man" status, but it seems the industry whittles them down to 1 emotion: mostly "you killed my family, now you're gonna die" type stuff. Then Hollywood sticks a gun in their hand. And gives them $20 Million. And spends the rest on CGI. I hate seeing great actors being limited to 1 or 2 of their best acting chops in big budget films. I think this is what happened to Cage.