Nicolas Cage...what gives?

Tools    

Yeah, could be easier, more money...I mean, the guy's probably still raking it in. Or maybe, early in the development process, it's hard to tell the difference between National Treasure and, say, Next. Whenever a bomb comes out we all think "how on Earth could they think that could have been good?" But lots of kinda goofy/mediocre films have a little something about them that makes them strangely fun/a guilty pleasure, etc. It's a pretty fine line.

'Course, this only explains some of his choices. Sometimes the film's bad enough that you can't imagine it ever looking like it could have been good.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I agree that he should take a break. I say that because I like him. He's in a downward spiral of silly movies lately and he needs to step out of that before his name is irrevocably linked to drek.

Excellent rant in the OP, spud!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Just so everyone's clear...I don't dislike him, I just wish he would be more consistent.
Yeah, me too. I love, love, love, Moonstruck and Raising Arizona. I also liked him a lot in Birdy, and Valley Girl, even if a guilty pleasure, is a whole lot of fun. There are quite a few others out there that are decent to good too, but it's hard to call yourself a fan of his when he has been in a whole bunch of films that aren't much more than a whole bunch of crap.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Excellent rant in the OP, spud!
Thanks! I've said it before and I'll say it again. I actually really like Cage as an actor, he's not half bad in my book, but a lot of the films he chooses makes me not want to like him.

He's definitely been bad in a number of films, though one suspects it's more because he doesn't care, than because his talented up and ran away.
Yeah, but if you put your hand over a flame repeatedly simply because you don't care, eventually, after enough burns (pun intended) one would think you would've learned your lesson. That is, unless you have no pain receptors, then that's a whole other mess.

As for the video rice posted, 1:22 had me rolling.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I think he's kind of a bit loony tunes so he picks these goofy movies that have either odd storylines or odd characters he can be. I LOVE Adaptation, but look at what he's playing - twin screenwriters based off one lone, real screenwriter.

AND -- this man was once married to Lisa Marie Presley. HELLO?! Before Nic Cage, she was married to Michael Jackson!

Now, if Michael Jackson actually had sex with Lisa Marie Presley - and I don't think he did, but just in case - and you go there after Michael Jackson's already been there...

Aren't you just a bit nuts? You're probably the type of person who'd kiss an anaconda on the mouth -- and then star in Anacondas 5.

As everyone else seems to be making themselves clear, I will too (just in case I've been misunderstood. )

I HATE HIM!!!!

As I've said elsewhere on this site, I hate the sight of his face, it's a face that I'd never tire of slapping and, when I was too tired to slap him anymore, I'd pay someone else to slap him while I rested.

In short, I don't like him.

As for Raising Arizona? Read the above. Plus, he made that film when he was young, when his face was, if it's at all believable, even more annoying.

Personaly, im not a fan of he's, I had to see the re-make of the wicker man because im such a fan of the old one and boy do I regret even wasting my time, I realy did not like this movie at all I thought it was just an awful peice of crap and no where near did justice to the original, I also realy disliked national treasure , mainly because of the fact its just not my kind of movie.

In truth I just dont think I like him becuase he's never realy been in any films that i have realy liked or liked the look of, so I havent and probably will never pay much attention to him, for me he's a pretty forgettable actor.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
As everyone else seems to be making themselves clear, I will too (just in case I've been misunderstood. )

I HATE HIM!!!!

As I've said elsewhere on this site, I hate the sight of his face, it's a face that I'd never tire of slapping and, when I was too tired to slap him anymore, I'd pay someone else to slap him while I rested.

In short, I don't like him.

As for Raising Arizona? Read the above. Plus, he made that film when he was young, when his face was, if it's at all believable, even more annoying.
... Lisa Marie?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Nicolas Cage: A Career in (Baffling) Pictures

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Funny, Nic has grown on me. I never liked him back in the beginning. Thought he was unattractive and I just didn't get it.

Now I really like him a lot (shoot me, I love National Treasure!) but I do admit, he's making some odd choices. But I think he makes even a poor script watchable.

Now I really like him a lot (shoot me, I love National Treasure!) but I do admit, he's making some odd choices. But I think he makes even a poor script watchable.
I'll agree with you on half of that. The "he makes even a poor script watchable" part... You can polish a turd only so much...in the end, it's still a turd and it STILL stinks.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I'll agree with you on half of that. The "he makes even a poor script watchable" part... You can polish a turd only so much...in the end, it's still a turd and it STILL stinks.
lol, I said, "watchable." Which isn't say too much, eh?

I like him fine. Maybe he's not a "great" actor but he's not even close to being one of the worst.
I agree.
He's not that bad.
I liked him in the Alcatraz movie.

Yeah, kinda like that treasure-huntin' movie?

Let's go with The Rock, maybe?

Saw this video on an article the other day. It's a collection of commercials Cage did in Japan. Pure gold.
It's funny that you posted this. Japanese commercials make no sense, most of the time, and are just a bunch of random things thrown out at you real fast. Case in point. I will say though, they love their Pachinko.

I agree.
He's not that bad.
Yeah, I like that one. I prefer Con Air, though. As far as his action films go.

Raising Arizona is my favorite comedy.