Halo Movie??

Tools    

I was thinking? Do you think they're are going to make a film based on the popular video game, "Halo?"

I don't know if they'res already a thread on this game......

But all im saying is it would be really cool if they made a film based on it.

And this is my BOOMstick!
No it wouldn't. Each new game-based movie kills the original game concept. Not that there was much of a storyline in Halo anyways.

It could work, if they get a few decent writers working on it. I think that the movie companies have realised what was wrong with films adapted from video games like Street Fighter and have tried not to make the same mistake (eg Resident Evil).

i think it would be pretty cool to see halo be turned into a movie. the game is really fun so maybe the movie would be too

You ready? You look ready.
If they did do it, Master Chief shouldn't have a face like in the game. It would ruin the game.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

There's actually quite a bit of storyline to work with for this series. What with all the novels written about it. Plus Halo's plotline was much better than the majority of the games put out now. Once Halo 2 is released it will only be a matter of time before someone gets the idea to adapt it to the screen.

In the Beginning...
I've said it before - I'd like to see Halo turned into a quality sci-fi flick, if it did not involve Master Chief as the main character. If the film illustrated a small group of marines fighting their way through, and bonding with each other (not physically, you sickos), fighting aliens in small engagements, using tactics/covering backs, etc - then it would do well. It could be along the same lines as Starship Troopers, I'm thinking - except without all the campiness and cheesy gore; much more gritty realism, serious interaction, some dark "soldier" humor (FUBAR, etc.), lots of good war action, more convincing writing/dialogue...you get the idea.

And the film could likely open with a beach landing operation involving the marines (similar to "The Silent Cartographer" level in the game, and I guess maybe too much like the Normandy landing in Saving Private Ryan), and culminate with a major engagement involving alot of forces (possibly in a city, such as the battle seen in the E3 2003 Halo 2 trailer), with Master Chief eventually coming along and taking charge of the troops. Likely, the film could have played up the "legendary" status of Master Chief all along, with the marines trading rumors and such about him, and then finally show him in action at the end of the film.

I'd go see it.

You need to watch the Red vs Blue movies. I dont have the quicktime download that you need but ive seen a couple and its GREAT!!! Funny stuff.

I'm back, un-n00bified.
That would be awsome, imagine sitting in a theater an seeing a Halo trailer. Every Halo player would go nuts and would talk about it through the whole movie. I think it is a great idea

I heard that Halo will be a movie around year 2007-2009 if enough money is made. Thats what i heard but halo 2 will be played out by then. So if they do i hope they show you the Elite design i saw. I think Halo The Movie will be the best movie ever. Im just a messager to tell about the movie.
-Robert

I've been thinking about this, a Halo movie, and i've had a few ideas!

Firstly, Halo the movie could be like the game. Starting off with Keys on the bridge calling in for MAster C to be awakened. Then you see some brief shots from inside the containment chamber and some of MC's feet. Play the movie out like that with loads of imagination and maybe some pre-history at the begginig credits of MC fighting and being put away to clear that out of the way.

Secondly, Its gonna take people who know this game inside-out to make it. It need to be written by someone who has played the game and not somone who just briefly looked over it and thought it would be a good idea.

I'm thinking Halo should be a MASTER PIECE, not a load of crap thats just gonna flop after a while and Halo gamers will be ashamed of.

I dont get it, why dont any of you think that the master chieft SHOULD BE THE PROTAGONIST IN THE MOVIE? i know in the games, you do play as him but actually seeing him on the screen would be cool. it could be him BONDING with the other marines emotionally and learning the hardships of the job....the other marines would have their own little unique description and backbone and that could start a great movie.... i like what sleezy wrote about the halo movie...his ideas are far more realistic than any i've seen but i still think it should have MC as the main character

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Well, since I do make movies, and I hinted that I would one day would like to make a Halo movie and I posted it around a few websites, this is what I got from the bigwigs at Bungie:

1. Lots of movie companies have wanted to buy the rights to make a Halo movie, but Bungie, fearing that it would fail like previous video game movies, chose not to allow anyone to buy the rights and leave it as is.

2. It could be boring, due to the fact that the Master Chief doesn't talk a whole lot and Cortana does, and she's rarely seen. Wouldn't cut it for the movie goers.

3. The storyline could throw some people who aren't too familiar to the game off.

So there you have it. Don't be holding your breath on this one.

I see what you mean. Okay for me, CASE CLOSED

I would be okay with if only if it is done as Sleezy said. No master chief. He really isnt the essence of Halo anyway. I dont know, maybe a Savin Private Ryan/Full Metal Jacket kinda flick, i think it would work out alright.

For those who think John (Master Chief) shouldn't be the main character because, "he isn't the essence of Halo..." If you've read the books, you would think otherwise. Or if you have read the books... why do you think so?

After all... he is implied to be the last Spartan. And the Spartans are "Man's last hope to win the war." The whole story is about how Dr. Halsey kidnapped a group of children (The Spartans) at the age of 6 to train them to defend human kind.

The Master Chief fights for the fate of mankind itself... Hell yes he should be the main character. But that doesn't mean they can't do other things. Take Lord of the Ring for example. You weren't following Aragorn & Legolas throughout the entire movie. They showed the Hobits story, Gandolf's story... and all of them connected in the movie marvelously. They could (as somebody above had stated) show marines fighting or what not... the covenant's story (they play a bigger role than just being a bunch of alien mass murderers).

Oh, and yes, the Halo books are part of the official storyline of the game.

All in all, If Bungie doesn't go with making a movie, or even selling rights to... They're missing a great opportunity. With a good director, I think it can go damn far. Hell... go get George Lucas... He could make some pretty digital movies... Heck, Star Wars is 90% rendered through computer now.

A system of cells interlinked
This is to much of Niche subject. The Halo playing population is tiny in comparison to the movie going/watching audience. So while the theatres would fill up with some of the Halo fans, it would quickly sputter into a bunch of empty theaters and some pissed off financers. Final Fantasy, which has a fan base that has been building for more than ten years, couldn't pull it off, and they had some big names on the bill.

And before you kiddies start getting riled up about how Halo is a bigger game series, it just isn't. Final Fantasy spans over a dozen titles and multiple systems, multiple generations of systems for that matter. People who hadn't played Final Fantasy in 10 years knew the series when the film came out, and the film still didn't do that well.

Also, best film ever? Ya, stuff like Lawrence of Arabia and Vertigo probably wouldn't hold a candle to a film made using material from an X-box game...

As if...

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by akhany
Hell... go get George Lucas... He could make some pretty digital movies... Heck, Star Wars is 90% rendered through computer now.

By his own admission (The Directors, Showtime original series), Lucas is not a great director. He has himself stated that he can't direct actors well, only conceptualize ideas for his film. While it is clear he has massive talent for putting this stuff together, he is a mediocre character director, and at this point has his assistant director handle it.

The newer Star Wars stuff was indeed 90% bluescreen, and the actors hated it, and their performance clearly shows this. I consider these films plays with added graphics. Hell, I could fim stuff like this if there were no sets or lighting issues to deal with. Why is it the closer Lucas gets to his "vision" by using all this technology, the worse his films get?

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by akhany
For those who think John (Master Chief) shouldn't be the main character because, "he isn't the essence of Halo..." If you've read the books, you would think otherwise. Or if you have read the books... why do you think so?

After all... he is implied to be the last Spartan. And the Spartans are "Man's last hope to win the war." The whole story is about how Dr. Halsey kidnapped a group of children (The Spartans) at the age of 6 to train them to defend human kind.

The Master Chief fights for the fate of mankind itself... Hell yes he should be the main character. But that doesn't mean they can't do other things. Take Lord of the Ring for example. You weren't following Aragorn & Legolas throughout the entire movie. They showed the Hobits story, Gandolf's story... and all of them connected in the movie marvelously. They could (as somebody above had stated) show marines fighting or what not... the covenant's story (they play a bigger role than just being a bunch of alien mass murderers).

Oh, and yes, the Halo books are part of the official storyline of the game.

All in all, If Bungie doesn't go with making a movie, or even selling rights to... They're missing a great opportunity. With a good director, I think it can go damn far. Hell... go get George Lucas... He could make some pretty digital movies... Heck, Star Wars is 90% rendered through computer now.
I play Halo a lot and I am addicted to it but, you need to get some help.

Originally Posted by Sedai
People who hadn't played Final Fantasy in 10 years knew the series when the film came out, and the film still didn't do that well.
Well, the fact that, you know, that movie just plain sucked didn't help much.
Not to say that a Halo movie wouldn't suck, because the odds are stacked against it being any good. However, Bungie seems to care more about actual story than any other game developer around, except maybe the makers of the Myst series, which is pretty much all story.