21. Happy Gilmore (1996)
22. No chance now
23. No chance now
24. No chance now
25. Hot Fuzz (2007)

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Likewise.

You blame a movie released in 1940 for you thinking it was from the 1950s.

My subsequent post was an implied joke, that thinking about it, comes straight out of Catch-22.

I wouldn't trust my brain to evaluate the logic of trusting my brain. That would require a functioning brain.

As far as His Girl Friday, I can actually only speculate. It's quite possible the lack of comedies from the 50s that jump to mind causes me to push the ones from the 40s up into the 50s, it could be something else, but I think for some reason, the newspaper workroom that's emulated in Hudsucker and as is associated with His Girl Friday and the quick banter, that type of scene gets associated with the 50s in my mind. I'm not sure why or where that came from. But then, once that gets established, that causes my notion of His Girl Friday (which probably has a greater presence in my mind than the actual movie), to be the pivot from which I associate the other screwball comedies.

I've long been a fan of Blazing Saddles but I'm not quite as crazy about it as I once was. The last couple of times I watched it it started to run out of steam in the latter stages. It still almost made my ballot.

The deeper we’ve gotten into this list, the more obvious it has become that my list has been a mess. Perhaps the one I’m the least proud of on this forum. Comedy is not my most beloved genre nor is it that easy to make a list of. I’ve realized I’ve forgotten to add a lot of movies and I’ve been in doubt about a few of my picks…

However, a movie I was never in doubt about and one I was even sure was always meant to be my number one.. and also, was… is Hot Fuzz.

I had it at #1 and I find it extremely hilarious and one of the most jam packed scripts I’ve ever seen. It’s so dense with jokes and subtext and quick remarks and gags and spoofs and layers on top of layers of well established comedy.

I’ve seen it many times and I often happen to discover something new every time, simply because it has so much to it. While a lot about the surface plot is rather silly - though in a classic British kind of way - it is extremely clever and smart beneath the surface. And the entertainment value is through the roof.

I love Edgar Wright and many of his films, but Hot Fuzz is probably my favorite of his. So much fun and I’m glad to see it so high on the list, though I wish it had cracked the top ten…

As for the other recent reveals, I love me some Chaplin. But I didn’t adore City Lights as others do. The idea of it is great and towards the end it gets really good, but overall it felt like it would be greater as a shorter story. I don’t know. I’ve only seen it once though.

I have seen some of Blazing Saddles and found it mildly amusing. I don’t know if I’ll ever return to it, but the title track is great though.

Hot Fuzz is one of those movies that I kinda believe the fans of it when they say how loaded with jokes it is. How clever. How meta. How screamingly funny. It gives me that vibe as well, only it just never zeros in on the kill. It's possible I've just never put it on at an ideal time, and so always just find it kind of amusing, nothing more. But my Spidey senses tell me I'm missing something. So that is another rare one we can chalk up to my flaws as a viewer when I say I would probably give it a 3/5 and so was never considered for my list

I never had any doubt it would make it, or that it might be this high. It's gained massive critical and cult traction in the last five years or so, to the point that I think for film nuts (which is what we are at least supposed to be here) it is preferred to Shaun of the Dead

Okay, going to put this one to bed. "IAMMMMW" is my #3. Find it a crime that it's not even been considered to be in the top 120 comedies. Not mad, just confused because it IS the definition of comedy, IMHO. Its been mentioned that it is dated and not really on mofo's radar. Yet it has all the elements of the decades past that seems to be loved and respected. And steps it up with the greatest stunt work seen since the silent era.

The cast represents the past five decades of film. Yet still makes a cohesive film that utilizes the strengths of each actor. Most every gag works and the cameos are equaled by zero. One of my "go-tos" when in the dumps.

Okay, guess I am mad.....mad...MAD...

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

But I also can't imagine it's my kind of movie. And I think it's long. Right?

I'll have to commit at some point though. It can't be ignored any longer

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is an essential comedy and although it didn't make my ballot, I do think it is better than several of the films that did. The Criterion blu ray release of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is a must have for any serious film collector. It contains the theatrical edition of the film and the extended edition, plus lots of special features.

I thought for sure It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World would've been a lock at the bottom of the countdown. I can't believe it didn't even show up. It must be an age thing...um, you kids call that meta-demi-dope

I'm more surprised we didn't get any Hepburn/Tracy pairings than by It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World not making it. Either the votes on the films were too split or not enough people thought it was funny enough to put it on their list.

It's definitely one of those your mileage may vary sort of things.

Blazing Saddles was my number 8. A hilarious mix of highbrow (Hedy Lamarr? Hedley!) and lowbrow (farting) humor is blended in by Brooks who was in top form here. I think there was a poster who brought up the chemistry between Cleavon Little as the sheriff and Gene Wilder as a gunfighter who helps him with the town. And it's pretty good here. As is Madeline Khan as a seductress and Harvey Korman as the nefarious Hedley.

Updated List Predictions:

1. His Girl Friday
2. 55 percent. Leaning towards yes, but still might miss out.
3. Bringing Up Baby
4. 100 percent. There'd be riots if this missed out.
5. 100 percent. I'd say it's a mortal lock for the top 5 at this point.
6. 80 percent. It might not be entirely safe, but I'd be surprised if this misses out.
7. Hot Fuzz
8. Blazing Saddles
9. Clue
10. Shaun of the Dead
11. Anchorman
12. Office Space
13. The Naked Gun
14. Caddyshack
15. Arsenic and Old Lace
16. A Fish Called Wanda
17. 0 percent. Its window closed when we reached the top half.
18. 0 percent. Probably not enough people remembered it.
19. This is Spinal Tap
20. The Jerk
21. 60 percent. My confidence has gone up for this one.
22. Animal House
23. What We Do in the Shadows
24. It Happened One Night
25. 0 percent. Curious to see who else voted for this one.

HM: Trading Places, Happy Gilmore, Clueless, Mean Girls

HM1: 0 percent. Much like number 17, I think its best chance was in the bottom half.
HM2: 90 percent. Lowkey shocked if this one missed out.

Blazing Saddles, so NOT on my list

Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks, 1974)

I found nothing funny about Mel Brooks' character, the governor. Though I did find plenty stupid about his on screen time. Sorry, but crossing your eyes for a joke last worked on me in grade school. Same with the GOV on the back of his coat, if that was suppose to be funny I didn't laugh. And there was a lot I didn't laugh at in this comedy, I mean 5 minutes of fart jokes isn't funny to me.

I did like Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder's scenes together. Those scenes especially the first one in the jail were funny because both men have natural comic talent and didn't rely on cheap gags to get a laugh.

Blazing Saddles reminds me of one of the most beloved comedies of the 1980s...Airplane!. BTW, I hated Airplane!, same style of broad comedy. If you like broad vauldeville style comedy than this movie might be right for you, it wasn't for me.

Yeah, I was surprised it got that high on the top 100, especially being a 1974 movie, and having such a younger crowd in the forum.

Another thing is it's got the "N" word in a scene which, although funny, I would have thought the PC crowd would have dismissed it for that reason.

As far as quality it might qualify in the top 100, but not #10.

Yeah, I was surprised it got that high on the top 100, especially being a 1974 movie, and having such a younger crowd in the forum.

Another thing is it's got the "N" word in a scene which, although funny, I would have thought the PC crowd would have dismissed it for that reason.

As far as quality it might qualify in the top 100, but not #10.
The only Mel Brooks film that I like, of the ones I've seen, is Young Frankenstein and it's really a Gene Wilder film as he wrote the majority of it.

The only Mel Brooks film that I like, of the ones I've seen, is Young Frankenstein and it's really a Gene Wilder film as he wrote the majority of it.
I'm one of the few people who thinks Young Frankenstein is better than Blazing Saddles. If I ever did a top 100 favorite movies list, Young Frankenstein would probably come in around #3.

I thought for sure It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World would've been a lock at the bottom of the countdown. I can't believe it didn't even show up. It must be an age thing...um, you kids call that meta-demi-dope
I think that movie is funny as hell...for a film over 60 years old, it holds up pretty well.

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

But I also can't imagine it's my kind of movie. And I think it's long. Right?

I'll have to commit at some point though. It can't be ignored any longer
It is long, but I find the movie so entertaining, I don't feel the length.

Victim of The Night
I also assumed it would be Top-25 at least.