The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Perhaps off topic a bit but it's funny, despite After Hours being one of my favorite movies of all time for almost 35 years, I have never thought of it as a comedy.
Is it a frickin' documentary? Of course After Hours is a comedy.

My review can be found HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
1. I'm not supportive of the "Anything fun goes" rule at all though I realize it is very difficult other definition to be established. Since half of the all time world wide production meet this rule all this can turn into some not very meaningful listing.

Please, pay attention that the real comedy is one thing and the stories that use fun instruments in their narration are something very very different.
In this connection I'd name this Countdown "Fun Styled Crime-War-Love Stories-Slice of Life--Horror-Adventures". Anything Fun but comedy.

Indiana Jones films are Fun-Styled-Adventure and meets the criteria, right?
"Amelie" is not a comedy at all. It is a contemporary fairy tale using some fun instruments in its narration.
You know, the comedies as real genre are going to be a tiny part of this countdown.

2. Another point that troubles me a lot is the simple fact that the leading classic comedy film schools are almost unknown into the English language world (due to the market control). Does it mean that titans of comedy should be skipped in this game?

3. And these three months time of waiting are just killing me...
Two months would be a good consensual resolution.

Cheers!
---

Great list. Thanks. Right at the start I see one that I have been meaning to rewatch for years now and will add it to the list of rewatches for this countdown.

Also way at the end of the list, Step Brothers makes me laugh quite a bit.

I'll dig through everything in between.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Buffalo '66
Mikey And Nicky
Harry And Tonto
A Woman Under The Influence
Minnie And Moskowitz
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
La Strada
Never On Sunday
Harold And Maude
Shadows In Paradise
Next Stop, Greenwich Village
Made For Each Other
Nashville
Annie Hall

Damn, I thought this would be easy, considering I generally thought only about six comedies have ever been good in the history of cinema. But it appears there is so far over thirty. What to do?

EDIT: Good Lord, I don't even think there's going to be room for Holy Grail. What to do? What to do?

Does anybody know where I can purchase or stream for free a copy of Arsenic and Old Lace (Carey Grant)
It's streaming at Apple TV, Amazon, YouTube, Google Play, Vudu, Microsoft. It's a pretty popular classic. Of course there's always that free Russian site, depending on how you feel about that.

Victim of The Night
Is it a frickin' documentary? Of course After Hours is a comedy.

My review can be found HERE.
Yeahhhhh...

A 2020 piece from Esquire...
35 Years Ago, After Hours Saved Martin Scorsese's Career
In the early 1980s the legendary director knew he was box office poison. That's when he made this small-budget twisted comedy that brought him back.

Right now, you could make a pretty iron-clad case that Martin Scorsese is our greatest living director. There’s a handful of solid runners-up, to be sure. But I can’t think of another filmmaker (American or otherwise) who’s compiled as many masterpieces and near-masterpieces as he has during his six decades behind the camera. Even now, at age 77, there’s no shortage of major studios and steaming services who would kill to be in business with him. I mean, who else could have gotten Netflix to fork over $160 million to make a three-and-a-half hour gangster epic like The Irishman with no strings attached and no questions asked?

And yet there was a time back in the early 1980s when Scorsese was written off as box-office poison. Even after having made Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, and Raging Bull, no one wanted to touch him with a ten-foot pole. It was a dark time for the director. And even after he eventually bounced back with The Color of Money and GoodFellas, that feeling of rejection was never far from his psyche. In fact, I remember meeting the director at his brownstone on the Upper East Side of Manhattan back in the early 2000s when he told me a story about that period. It was a story I found hard to believe. But it was one hundred percent true. It went like this:

“I remember it was the last day of 1983,” he said. “The King of Comedy had come out earlier that year. And on New Year’s Eve, I was getting dressed to go to Jay Cocks’ house. I had the TV on in the background and for some reason it was tuned to "Entertainment Tonight". And I heard them say as sort of a tease before they went to commercial, ‘Coming up: The Movie Flop of the Year!’ So I sort of stuck around to see what it was. What was the Movie Flop of the Year? And when they came back, they said it was The King of Comedy! I was the flop of the year! And on top of that, I had been planning to make The Last Temptation of Christ, which had just been canceled on me. So it was a double whammy. I had nothing lined up next. And I knew I was going to have to start all over.”

Scorsese was just 41 at the time this all happened. And that “double whammy” as he called it made him start to believe that maybe he was all washed up. Or, if not washed up, then certainly in some nightmarish maximum-security wing of Director’s Jail. With no new offers from the big studios forthcoming, Scorsese quickly realized that it was time to get back to his low-budget indie roots and get a movie going fast. Something small and personal that no one could lose a lot of money on. Something that would make being a director fun again. The movie that would emerge from that dark, winter-of-the-soul period would turn out to be 1985’s After Hours — a deliriously tense and twisted comedy that remains one of his most under-appreciated films to this day.

Released on this day in 1985, After Hours is the story of an uptight New York City office drone named Paul Hackett (Griffin Dunne, never better) who returns to his depressingly non-descript apartment after work one night, finds nothing worth watching on TV, and heads out to a diner with a copy of Henry Miller’s Tropic of Cancer for company. There, he meets a mysterious and alluring woman named Marcy (Rosanna Arquette) sitting nearby and strikes up a conversation with her. She tells him about her friend, an artist who sculpts Plaster of Paris bagel-and-cream cheese paper weights. They exchange numbers. He leaves. And then, figuring why the hell not, he calls her for a date. It’s late, but she invites him downtown to the SoHo loft where she’s staying. On the cab ride there, his only money (a $20 bill) flies out of the window. Oh well, he thinks, he still might get lucky anyway. But Paul doesn’t get lucky. In fact, he gets very unlucky.

Over the next 98 hyper-caffeinated minutes, Scorsese takes us on a harrowing series of existential trials in the wee-hour nocturnal desolation below Canal Street. After his date with Marcy turns weird, he splits. And with no money to get back uptown, he loiters around a bizarre, avant-garde Manhattan ghost town populated by a put-upon bartender (John Heard) who gets some bad news about his girlfriend, a clingy waitress with a beehive hairdo and a fondness for The Monkees (Teri Garr), an S&M dominatrix with “not a lot of scars” (Linda Fiorentino) and her leather-daddy boyfriend Horst (Will Patton), a manic Mister Softee ice cream truck driver (Catherine O’Hara), and a couple of dazed and confused burglars (Cheech and Chong). At every turn, just when it looks like Paul will be able to get home thanks to the kindness of strangers, some new cruel twist of fate’s knife lands him worse off than he was just a minute earlier. At one point, looking like a Yuppie version of Job, he looks to the heavens and screams, “What do you want from me?! What have I done?!” You don’t know whether to laugh or cry for the poor schmuck.

Unlike most of the movies that he’d made up until that point, After Hours didn’t begin with Scorsese. Joseph Minion, a 26-year-old aspiring filmmaker had written the script for a film class while studying at Columbia. He’d called it Lies and then A Night in SoHo. The script would end up in the hands of An American Werewolf in London’s Dunne, who wanted to star in it. And after attracting the interest of Tim Burton, who had just finished his short film Frankenweenie, Dunne thought he was about to make the film. But after Paramount pulled the plug on Scorsese’s passion project, The Last Temptation of Christ, he knew that this was exactly the kind of giddy, guerilla-style cheapie he needed to do to keep his career momentum going and distract him from his heartache. The story was also set just blocks away from where he’d grown up in Little Italy. He knew this artsy, open-all-night demimonde of freaks and hipsters by osmosis. Burton graciously stepped aside. Although he’d end up doing okay for himself, quickly landing his feature-directing debut, Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure.

Scorsese kept Dunne on as his onscreen Everyman, Paul, and he rounded out the cast with great comic actors who weren’t required to be movie stars since After Hours’ relatively small $4.5 million budget would seem like a rounding error to the movie’s financier, The Geffen Company, and distributor, Warner Bros. He had total artistic freedom…which is exactly what he was after. “After Hours was like an independent film,” Scorsese told me. “It was shorter and cheaper. I just wanted to see if I still had the energy to shoot quickly. There’s a certain passion that you have to have to make Mean Streets or Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. I had to find that again.”

Thirty-five years later, After Hours remains all energy and passion. And if you weren’t around to experience New York City before SoHo was turned into a glorified mall of chic high-end chain stores, overpriced art galleries, and $10,000-a-month studio apartments, it’s also a love letter to a gloriously gritty bygone era. With After Hours, Scorsese was working at the height of his powers — a man driven by a newfound sense of urgency, playfulness, and freedom. It’s the only movie I can think of that manages to include on its soundtrack both Bach and Bad Brains (and Peggy Lee, to boot!). And Scorsese, the merry prankster finally unburdened of the weight of world, seems to be having a blast in every frame. Especially when he makes a split-second Hitchcockian cameo in an after-hours punk venue called Club Berlin on “Mohawk Night.”

Watching After Hours today is like watching a master filmmaker rediscover what made him want to be a filmmaker in the first place. It has that over-stylized anything-goes spirit. It’s a hysterically frenzied and fizzy Kafkaesque cocktail of horrible bad luck, insane misunderstandings, screwball chaos, sweaty paranoia, and Plaster of Paris bagel-and-cream cheese paper weights. It’s also absolute perfection (even if Paul’s odyssey would be over in five minutes if the film was set just a decade later in the brave new world of ATMs, Metrocards, and cell phones).

But never mind all of that, just do yourself a favor and watch it. Because aside from being one of the strangest and most unsung entries on the resume of our era’s greatest living director, if you squint just a little while you’re watching it, you’ll also see an artist finding his own personal salvation via celluloid. And that’s exhilaratingly rare. After all, while it’s clear that absolutely nothing has changed for Paul Hackett by the final scene of the After Hours, for Martin Scorsese, everything had. He remembered his calling.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...essay-history/

How about some predictions while we wait for the ballot..

1. Which director will have the most films listed in the final 100?

2. Which actor/comedian will star in the most films represented in the final 100?.

The trick is not minding

2. Which actor/comedian will star in the most films represented in the final 100?.
1. Going to say Woody Allen.

2. Hmmm. Possibly Chaplin, or Robin Williams even.

Woody Allen is a good bet, but I'll go with this director

2. Which actor/comedian will star in the most films represented in the final 100?. Gotta be this guy

Also think it's Woody Allen but he won't be getting any help from me. I'll be throwing some weight behind these kingpins of bad taste instead:

2. Which actor/comedian will star in the most films represented in the final 100?

Probably DDL. He seems to win everything. If not him maybe:

Woody Allen

Maybe Chaplin. Or Jim Carrey.

Victim of The Night
The time is three a.m. Do you know where your sanity is?

Roger Ebert, January 14, 2009

"After Hours" approaches the notion of pure filmmaking; it's a nearly flawless example of -- itself. It lacks, as nearly as I can determine, a lesson or message, and is content to show the hero facing a series of interlocking challenges to his safety and sanity. It is "The Perils of Pauline" told boldly and well.
Critics have called it "Kafkaesque" almost as a reflex, but that is a descriptive term, not an explanatory one. Is the film a cautionary tale about life in the city? To what purpose? New York may offer a variety of strange people awake after midnight, but they seldom find themselves intertwined in a bizarre series of coincidences, all focused on the same individual. You're not paranoid if people really are plotting against you, but strangers do not plot against you to make you paranoid. The film has been described as dream logic, but it might as well be called screwball logic; apart from the nightmarish and bizarre nature of his experiences, what happens to Paul Hackett is like what happens to Buster Keaton: just one damned thing after another.
ADVERTISEMENT
The project was not personally developed by director Martin Scorsese, who was involved at the time in struggles over "The Last Temptation of Christ." Paramount's abrupt cancellation of that film four weeks before the start of production (the sets had been built, the costumes prepared) sent Scorsese into deep frustration. "My idea then was to pull back, and not to become hysterical and try to kill people," he told his friend Mary Pat Kelly. "So the trick then was to try to do something."
After rejecting piles of scripts, he received one from producers Amy Robinson and Griffin Dunne, who thought it could be made for $4 million. It had been written by Joseph Minion, then a graduate student at Columbia, and Scorsese was later to recall that Minion's teacher, the Yugoslavian director Dusan Makavejev, gave it an "A." He decided to make it: "I thought it would be interesting to see if I could go back and do something in a very fast way. All style. An exercise completely in style. And to show they hadn't killed my spirit."

It was the first film of his what would become his long collaboration with German cinematographer Michael Ballhaus, who had worked with Fassbinder and therefore knew all about low budgets, fast shooting schedules and passionate directors. It was shot entirely at night, sometimes with on-the-spot improvisation of camera movements, as in the famous shot where Paul Hackett (Dunne), the hero, rings the bell of Kiki Bridges (Linda Fiorentino) and she throws down her keys, and Scorsese uses a POV shot of the keys dropping toward Paul.

In pre-digital days, that really had to happen. They tried fastening the camera to a board and dropping it toward Paul with ropes to stop it at the last moment (Dunne was risking his life), but after that approach produced out-of-focus footage, Ballhaus came up with a terrifyingly fast crane move. Other shots, Scorsese said, were in the spirit of Hitchcock, fetishizing closeups of objects like light switches, keys, locks and especially faces. Because we believe a close-up underlines something of importance to a character, Scorsese exploited that knowledge with unmotivated closeups; Paul thought something critical had happened, but much of the time it had not. In an unconscious way, an audience raised on classic film grammar would share his expectation and disappointment. Pure filmmaking.

Another device was to offhandedly suggest alarming possibilities about characters, as when Kiki describes burns, and Paul finds a graphic medical textbook about burn victims in the bedroom of Marcy (Rosanna Arquette), the girl he has gone to meet at Kiki's apartment. Are the burns accidental or deliberate? The possibility is there, because Kiki is into sadomasochism. Trying to find a shared conversational topic, Paul tells Marcy the story of the time he was a little boy in the hospital and was left for a time in the burn unit, but blindfolded and warned not to remove the blindfold. He did, and what he saw horrified him. Strange, that entering the lives of two women obsessed with burns, he would have his own burn story, but coincidence and synchronicity are the engines of the plot.

"After Hours" could be called a "hypertext" film, in which disparate elements of the plot are associated in an occult way. In "After Hours," such elements as a suicide, a method of sculpture, a plaster of Paris bagel, a $20 bill and a string of burglaries all reveal connections that only exist because Paul's adventures link them. This generates the film's sinister undertone, as in a scene where he tries to explain all the things that have befallen him, and fails, perhaps because they sound too absurd even to him. One thing many viewers of the film have reported is the high (some say almost unpleasant) level of suspense in "After Hours," which is technically a comedy but plays like a satanic version of the classic Hitchcock plot formula, the Innocent Man Wrongly Accused.

With different filmmakers and other actors, the film might have played more safely, like "Adventures in Babysitting." But there is an intensity and drive in Scorsese's direction that gives it desperation; it really seems to matter that this devastated hero struggle on and survive. Scorsese has suggested that Paul's implacable run of bad luck reflected his own frustration during the "Last Temptation of Christ" experience.

Executives kept reassuring him that all was going well with that film, backers said they had the money, Paramount green-lighted it, agents promised it was a "go," everything was in place, and then time after time an unexpected development would threaten everything. In "After Hours," each new person Paul meets promises that they will take care of him, make him happy, lend him money, give him a place to stay, let him use the phone, trust him with their keys, drive him home - and every offer of mercy turns into an unanticipated danger. The film could be read as an emotional autobiography of that period in Scorsese's life. The director said he began filming without an ending. IMDb claims, "One idea that made it to the storyboard stage had Paul crawling into June's womb to hide from the angry mob, with June (Verna Bloom, the lonely woman in the bar) giving 'birth' to him on the West Side Highway." An ending Scorsese actually filmed had Paul still trapped inside the sculpture as the truck driven by the burglars (Cheech and Chong) roared away. Scorsese said he showed that version to his father, who was angry: "You can't let him die!"
That was the same message he had been hearing for weeks from Michael Powell, the great British director who had come on board as a consultant and was soon to marry Scorsese's editor, Thelma Schoonmaker. Powell kept repeating that Paul not only had to live at the end, but to end up back at his office. And so he does, although after Paul returns to the office, close examination of the very final credit shots show that he has disappeared from his desk.

"After Hours" is not routinely included in lists of Scorsese's masterpieces. Its appearance on DVD was long delayed. On IMDb's ranking of his films by user vote (a notoriously unreliable but sometimes interesting reflection of popular opinion), it ranks 16th. But I recall how I felt after the first time I saw it: wrung out. Yes, no matter that it was a satire, a black comedy, an exercise in style, it worked above all as a story that flew in the face of common sense, but it hooked me. I've seen it several times since, I know how it ends, and despite my suspicion of "happy endings," I agree that Paul could not have been left to die. I no longer feel the suspense, of course, because I know what will happen. But I feel the same admiration. "An exercise completely in style," Scorsese said. But he could not quite hold it to that. He had to make a great film because, perhaps, at that time in his life, with the collapse of "The Last Temptation," he was ready to, he needed to, and he could.

Victim of The Night

1. Mel Brooks

2. Bill Murray